Converting golf course to cattle farm

The place to start if you are new!
tncattle
GURU
GURU

Converting golf course to cattle farm

Postby tncattle » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Anyone have any experience converting a golf course to a cattle farm? In a nutshell it's 145 acres, mostly Bermuda grass and borders a 50 acre operating cattle farm. It's all river bottom/flood plain land. It would connect and be part of the current 50 acre operating cattle farm. Probably not enough info but it's a start.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Converting golf course to cattle farm

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:22 pm

I wonder how tall that Bermuda "turf type" gets..does it grow like common Bermuda??
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

tncattle
GURU
GURU

Postby tncattle » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:57 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I wonder how tall that Bermuda "turf type" gets..does it grow like common Bermuda??

Good question! There is some on the driving range that is thick and about 6-8 inches high as it didn't get cut for awhile dating back to summer.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Can always drill in cool season native grasses in the fall, right before the Bermuda goes dormant..
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:26 pm

I baled a golf course for a couple years. It was for sale, and we considered buying it for pasture. In the end, it was overpriced, but did have irrigation. I found a ball washer and two of the turf mats from the driving range in bale rings one winter.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Never heard of a golf course being converted back into pasture or ag production.
I assume location and improvements would've made it more valuable as a developmental property.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Never heard of a golf course being converted back into pasture or ag production.
I assume location and improvements would've made it more valuable as a developmental property.

We must be going backwards here. Three golf courses have recently went back in to production agriculture. Shortly after that one of those, became a quarry.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:Never heard of a golf course being converted back into pasture or ag production.

We must be going backwards here. Three golf courses have recently went back in to production agriculture. Shortly after that one of those, became a quarry.

Doe's most of the courses have a layer of sand under them?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Could blend a total package - - and sell CSA side vegie golf and beef memberships to home owners!
0 x
Stocker Steve

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:42 pm

The 9-hole course that was here just closed up, did a little fencing and now there's cows on it. Probably took all of five days.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Don’t have any statics to back me up, just my personal observation, it seems like a lot of golf courses are closin, they must not be profitable any longer or the younger generation does not golf.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:11 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:

Doe's most of the courses have a layer of sand under them?

I'm not a golfer, but I "think" the putting green, and where you initially hit the ball from have sand under them. I don't think the rest of the course does.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:01 am

if its bermuda I suspect its most likely Tiftgreen or Tiftway which would suck for grazing. You'll need lots of Roundup. :2cents:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:06 am

Right, they don't plant grazing type grasses on golf courses. I really don't see how any golf course pays for itself. The maintenance requires lots of expensive equipment and is never ending.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

tncattle
GURU
GURU

Postby tncattle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:12 am

The driving range is around 20 acres and didn't get cut at all since early summer. No weeds at all, just grass. I know they don't/didn't spray anything. It's not a high end course, more of a blue collar golf course that they basically cut the grass and that's it. It also has a full irrigation system throughout that is fed directly from river water. I figure the cows would probably destroy the sprinkler heads by eventually crushing them while stepping on them.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”