Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Major birthing trouble

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 am

I'd say everybody passin judgement on the guy, run him off.
3 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:43 am

Bigfoot wrote:I'd say everybody passin judgement on the guy, run him off.

Not "everyone". I suggested that if and big IF, he shot her to make sure he hit the brain.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 am

Bright Raven wrote:

Not "everyone". I suggested that if and big IF, he shot her to make sure he hit the brain.

I painted with a wide brush. If he had posted a day earlier, I'd have offered to help him. I think he only lives about 45 minutes from me.
3 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 am

Hopefully Kell will stick it out and check back in. CT is a great place to bs, and when needed someone knows the answer when it comes to having a cattle problem. I know Milkmaid saved two cows and a calf for me through the years, wish she'd check in a little more often. At least we have Randi back, she's very knowledgeable and knows cattle problems. AC cowman, Brad knows more about cows than anyone I've ever met. CT has sure lost a lot of cattle knowledge through the years.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 am

He posted shortly after I did and then deleted it, which caused my 2nd reply to him to be deleted.

They shot the cow and the vet eventually did show up afterwards to offer insight.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am

Aaron wrote:He posted shortly after I did and then deleted it, which caused my 2nd reply to him to be deleted.

They shot the cow and the vet eventually did show up afterwards to offer insight.

And what did they find?
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 am

ez14. wrote:
Aaron wrote:He posted shortly after I did and then deleted it, which caused my 2nd reply to him to be deleted.

And what did they find?

Sounded like a malpresentation that was left too long.
2 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 am

I had wondered about that. Thought I musta been dreaming that post.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:56 am

slick4591 wrote:

I had wondered about that. Thought I musta been dreaming that post.

Me too. It was gone so fast I wasn't sure I had actually posted it.
1 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:52 pm

To the point of some of the harsher posters, I've never had a malpresentation that required killing the cow except my first when I didn't know what I was doing.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Nearly every malpresentation can result in killing the cow if you sit on your butt for days-on-end waiting for her to do it herself.

Ever watch Dr. Pol?...amazing some people are able to survive themselves, let alone care for animals.
5 x

Silver
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Silver » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 am

I had to shoot a cow for malpresentation once, it haunts me to this day. Head was back and I couldn't reach it to get a snare on it. Worked on her til I was near exhaustion. Did a c-section and couldn't get a leg as the calf was faced the wrong way and I just physically couldn't get it turned. Cow went into distress, I was beat. Realized there was only so much I could do and the rest of the cows might need my services. It's something I'll never forget, but at least I know I did my damndest.
2 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:35 am

With situations like this you really have to be there to help, already people have made many varying suggestions and all are possible on the information given. Yes, you learn from experience and exploring.

Ken
1 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 am

Even if not left long, a malpresentation can end up with killing - or needing to kill - the cow.
Had a heifer last spring who went into labor some time during the night; big calf with a simple front leg back... easy enough to correct, but already the calf was becoming emphysematous, and she was apparently the only heifer in that group with a small pelvis, as all others calved out uneventfully.
Wife and I are both seasoned veterinarians... it was a difficult deal pulling the calf out a little at a time, and I came very close to stepping up to the house to get a gun, but Dr. M is much more diligent than me, and she persisted... we ended up doing a fetotomy, and took the calf out in about 6 pieces. Heifer survived... looked like lleh, but she recovered and sold last fall - open, no surprise to me - but somebody thought she looked like one to take a chance on... she brought nearly twice what the older open culls sold for.
3 x

Return to “Beginners Board”