Steel Rope for working pens

The place to start if you are new!
tnwalkingred
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Steel Rope for working pens

Postby tnwalkingred » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:46 pm

They use this type of cable under heavy tension at the local sale barn in the ring. There is a welded pipe frame and the cable is used between. It's super tight and I don't think there is anyway an animal can get though it.
0 x
I have great faith in fools. My friends call it self confidence!

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cjmc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 am

The perimeter fence and holding pens in one of our working facilitates is made from cable (the post are 2in pipe). It's worked well for probably 20 years or more. One major difference is that this cable was from the oil field & is probably 2 inches in diameter, which is obviously a big difference.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:39 am

The old sale yard at Centralia WA the ring was made of cable. I have seen it tried a lot of times. Never saw a single injury. Not one ever get tangled up. No matter how tight you stretch cable it will have some give to it. Keeping post close together will help make it work.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 am

There is also a crimped cable that is in a wavy pattern that holds its tension very well.

Ken
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:34 am

I prefer solid walls in the areas of a facility where cattle are crowded such as the crowding pen just before you force them into the sweep tub and the sweep tub. Most high end sweep tubs and alley ways are now sheeted. Unfortunately, mine is not. I have never had an adult animal get a leg through the bars of my sweep tub, but I have had it occur with calves. In fact, about a month ago, I ran calves into the sweep tub to halter them, and one got a leg between the bars. It was a devil of a time getting it out with 13 other calves jumping around me.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:02 am

Bright Raven wrote:I prefer solid walls in the areas of a facility where cattle are crowded such as the crowding pen just before you force them into the sweep tub and the sweep tub. Most high end sweep tubs and alley ways are now sheeted. Unfortunately, mine is not. I have never had an adult animal get a leg through the bars of my sweep tub, but I have had it occur with calves. In fact, about a month ago, I ran calves into the sweep tub to halter them, and one got a leg between the bars. It was a devil of a time getting it out with 13 other calves jumping around me.

I wonder if a guy could just hang some 3/4” plywood on the inside of the cables in the crowding and alley areas. This provides some reinforcement, prevents legs from getting through, and a visual barrier as well. Still would use the cable as the backbone for strength. If the cable was had at the right price the added cost of the plywood may still come out cheaper vs wood or pipe
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:24 am

BigBear wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I prefer solid walls in the areas of a facility where cattle are crowded such as the crowding pen just before you force them into the sweep tub and the sweep tub. Most high end sweep tubs and alley ways are now sheeted. Unfortunately, mine is not. I have never had an adult animal get a leg through the bars of my sweep tub, but I have had it occur with calves. In fact, about a month ago, I ran calves into the sweep tub to halter them, and one got a leg between the bars. It was a devil of a time getting it out with 13 other calves jumping around me.

I wonder if a guy could just hang some 3/4” plywood on the inside of the cables in the crowding and alley areas. This provides some reinforcement, prevents legs from getting through, and a visual barrier as well. Still would use the cable as the backbone for strength. If the cable was had at the right price the added cost of the plywood may still come out cheaper vs wood or pipe

It would rot pretty quick. My brother bought a place 15 years ago. Working pens looked like they were going to fall down then, and he has made no improvements. It had used tin, in areas, where something might try to go through. It's still standing and working. One of the best working pens I've been in used conveyer belt.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 am

Some years back, the folks at KY Graziers Supply were touting their working pens built almost entirely out of tensioned nonelectrified HT wire... seems like they had LOTS of strands at 2-3" spacings; not sure what post spacings were, but at 8 ft, I'd bet that wire fence was pretty similar, at least functionally, to a solid wall.
I'm sure that at some point close to the working chute they must have transitioned to wood planking or more substantial pipe panels, etc.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:11 pm

0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Never seen but one set of pens made of cable. More like holding pens. The cable was about 3/4" and was used. Stretched tight as a fiddle string, wrapped around steel post and cable clamp applied. Worked very well but had barbs on it from time to time and you hardly ever knew it until they tore the skin on a cow. As far as I could tell that was the only draw back.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Beginners Board”