automatic waterers are now froze

The place to start if you are new!
angus9259
GURU
GURU

automatic waterers are now froze

Postby angus9259 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Last night they gave up their last gasp. Looks like one is froze underground (buried 4 foot). The other may be just the supply line that had two heat tapes already on it. Supposed to actually get cold this weekend.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: automatic waterers are now froze

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 pm

angus9259 wrote:Last night they gave up their last gasp. Looks like one is froze underground (buried 4 foot). The other may be just the supply line that had two heat tapes already on it. Supposed to actually get cold this weekend.

Just one man's opinion but that's not good at all.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Sux...
Tarp and bullet heater?
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Sux...
Tarp and bullet heater?

This is on tap for tomorrow I think. I tried a hand held heater for a while but the plastic tank innards started concerning me...
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Yes and you need to be very careful with bullet/torpedo heaters too.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Got 3 froze now at different places. All "professionally" installed as part of that gov't crap to fence everything out of the creeks etc. Froze down in the ground and yes, it is supposed to get cold here the next couple of days; like nights in the minus and days not hitting 20.

Yes I realize that is not near as cold of you guys up north, and believe me, I did my share of penance while in Conn. and Vermont. But this is cold for here. Usually we will get a day or 2 or maybe even 3 of cold in the teens and single digits. But days often will warm up near freezing, with the sun out.

It did hit 32 today, cloudy, and not a thaw in sight. I spent all day hauling water to cattle that can't get any due to the frozen waterers. One I know is a Richie, don't know about the others. Turned the 8 bulls to the "crep" area so they can go to the creek and D#$@%M the gov't crap and the owners that put it in. They want their rent, but tell you we're sorry but we can't do anything about it when it is this cold.

Will move one small group as soon as I can get all the calves into the catch pen; to a pasture where there is a big concrete trough and the water runs in and out the overflow enough that is hasn't had any freezing problems in 25 years.

Supposed to snow east of here with the storm coming up the coast. Only wind and bitter wind chills for here.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 pm

farmerjan wrote: there is a big concrete trough and the water runs in and out the overflow enough that is hasn't had any freezing problems in 25 years.

Supposed to snow east of here with the storm coming up the coast. Only wind and bitter wind chills for here.

I love those water troughs! I wouldn't mind having a couple like that. Up where I used to work, those things never froze! The Ritchie's would freeze if there weren't at least 100 cows in the pasture, using it frequently enough to keep the water moving. The one in the horse pasture would freeze all the time, in the conditions we've had lately, just not enough animals "moving" the water through the lines. :frowns:

Are you going to the Farm/Ag show, at Expoland (in Fishersville) this year?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Gonna try to go to Expo. Thought I would post the day and see if anyone else is going. Right now it will depend on my work schedule. Have had 3 farms cancel testing this week due to the cold and problems. I can't blame them. Plus one I cancelled as it is a cold parlor, they won't shut the exit door and I have no intention to freeze for 5 hours. Especially if it is as windy as they say.
Do you have a day in mind? Would like to maybe see if some of the members were going and get together to meet and maybe get lunch or something there.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 pm

farmerjan wrote:Do you have a day in mind? Would like to maybe see if some of the members were going and get together to meet and maybe get lunch or something there.

I had similar thoughts, that whatever day that whoever else may be going, I'd try and go that day and meet up. :) As of now, my schedule is fairly flexible.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm

angus9259 wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:Sux...
Tarp and bullet heater?

This is on tap for tomorrow I think. I tried a hand held heater for a while but the plastic tank innards started concerning me...

We always hang a brooder bulb or heat lamp under the trough, our water lines come up from the bottom of a culvert set in the ground. We hang the bulb a fair ways down the culvert and it tends to keep everything under the trough warm. Often if a trough is froze up it's because the bulb went out so just fixing that and giving it some time they will thaw out. Then it's just a matter of thawing the float valve out to finish the job.
1 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 pm

I kind of be surprised that the underground line would be froze up this early in the winter. It seems like it takes a long cold winter with no snow at least on our soil. Hopefully it is just the supply line. What kind of waterer and how was it installed? We have a mirafount with the balls on top with a 12" heat riser that hasn't froze up in the 25 years it's been there. And we have a Ritchie that was installed wrong, a 4" riser that the guy filled with insulation around the water line. Luckily that is inside and will only freeze up every few years. Usually trickle some hot water down the side of the supply line and it opens in seconds.
0 x

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:03 am

ChrisB wrote:I kind of be surprised that the underground line would be froze up this early in the winter. It seems like it takes a long cold winter with no snow at least on our soil. Hopefully it is just the supply line.

Neighbor just had an excavator out to dig up a broken pipe, said the frost line was down 3 1/2 feet already.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:21 am

We used to have Richie waterers at a farm we managed. We would take a flexible hose & hook on the exhaust of truck & put the end in the box under the water trough. Waterer was too far away for electricity and didn't have a generator back then. Frozen water lines suck.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:04 am

We are heating 3 Richies, and now make sure there is a wind break and some straw around each. Seems to work down to -35. In the past -- supply lines seemed to freeze close to ground level. I think cold would come in from the side.

When we had problems in the past we used a light bulb or 5 gallons of hot water (our wood boiler heats to about 180 F) down the culvert. I have never tried truck exhaust but I am sure it would work also.

There are not many issues that can't be fixed with more cattle. :nod: An old timer trick is to winter more cattle and the keep water flowing... :cowboy: Good Luck.
1 x
Stocker Steve

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 am

Sure makes things tough.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Return to “Beginners Board”