automatic waterers are now froze

The place to start if you are new!
ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Re: automatic waterers are now froze

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 pm

ddd75 wrote:
ChrisB wrote:I have had a mirafount for just over 20 years I believe and have never touched it other than cleaning. It has the balls on it like Jeanne's but I take them out in the summer.

The thing I keep reading about Cobett's is how easy they are to get the ice out so cows can drink. I personally would rather have something that won't ice up in the first place.

Every automatic I've encounter has froze up without a heater.

My neighbors all have ritchies and mirafounts.. all one big block of ice w/o a heater.

Sorry, should have mentioned that both my waterer's have heaters. I would never install one without unless there was no way to get electricity to it.
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 am

ChrisB wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
ChrisB wrote:I have had a mirafount for just over 20 years I believe and have never touched it other than cleaning. It has the balls on it like Jeanne's but I take them out in the summer.

The thing I keep reading about Cobett's is how easy they are to get the ice out so cows can drink. I personally would rather have something that won't ice up in the first place.

Every automatic I've encounter has froze up without a heater.

My neighbors all have ritchies and mirafounts.. all one big block of ice w/o a heater.

Sorry, should have mentioned that both my waterer's have heaters. I would never install one without unless there was no way to get electricity to it.

Oh.. OK.. fully heated and it doesn't ice up?? wow.. who would have thought :lol2:

Please don't downplay my cobbetts in the middle of the field with wind blowing on them and negative temps for weeks and they are still flowing fine. WITH NO HEAT / NO COSTS TO RUN. :banana:
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 am

I just looked them up. Very interesting design. How many head will one unit accommodate in real world conditions in your experience?

https://cobett.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -21-17.pdf
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I just looked them up. Very interesting design. How many head will one unit accommodate in real world conditions in your experience?

https://cobett.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -21-17.pdf

they give head amounts in the directions but I can't remember exactly. I know it will water hundreds.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:09 pm

ddd75 wrote: Please don't downplay my cobbetts in the middle of the field with wind blowing on them and negative temps for weeks and they are still flowing fine. WITH NO HEAT / NO COSTS TO RUN. :banana:

In Kentucky....
2 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:43 pm

The Cobett trough sure looks sturdy, but I would guess that 3 or more inches of ice in the morning encasing that float could be problematic.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 pm

angus9259 wrote:
ddd75 wrote: Please don't downplay my cobbetts in the middle of the field with wind blowing on them and negative temps for weeks and they are still flowing fine. WITH NO HEAT / NO COSTS TO RUN. :banana:

In Kentucky....

Haha. Couple of days of negatives maybe, but weeks. Lol
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:45 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
angus9259 wrote:

In Kentucky....

He no longer lives in KY as I understand it but why he hasn't changed his profile is beyond me.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
angus9259 wrote:
In Kentucky....

He no longer lives in KY as I understand it but why he hasn't changed his profile is beyond me.

TT. He has moved to Ohio. Not far north of Maysville where I am. Temperatures have been below normal for three weeks, since Christmas but only a few mornings below zero.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:23 pm

I think the fella that invented those did so over in Iowa.. I know it gets dam cold in the northern half of that state come winter...one year in Iowa was more than enough for me.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:03 pm

bball wrote:I think the fella that invented those did so over in Iowa.. I know it gets dam cold in the northern half of that state come winter...one year in Iowa was more than enough for me.

I remember my first trip to North Dakota. It was springtime in Denver but it was still winter in North Dakota.
1 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Here in Kansas by belhen (however it is spelled) all froze up. Very badly. Only ones that didn’t freeze were the concrete ones in the ground that are constantly circulating water down a drain. These are on ponds, not water line. I’m interested in those cobbetts. I would rather chop ice on the pond than deal with frozen waterers. It has been unusually cold here. One night was -9, several around zero
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Tbrake wrote:Here in Kansas by belhen (however it is spelled) all froze up. V

Mine froze waterers are behlen.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Not sure what brand of fountain we have but it was a block of ice a week ago.
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:20 pm

I forgot to mention, I have a few pastures with the mirafount and some with behlen. The mirafounts never completely froze. I had to stomp the ball a few mornings, but nothing like the behlen. Valve kept freezing. I ended up raising the float up some where the balls would push up with more pressure. Also, we had about 4” of snow so I pilled up a bunch around the tank to help Insulate. It did not freeze that night got down to -2 and 30mph winds. If anyone has any tips to help freeze proof them please share. No electric at most spots
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”