automatic waterers are now froze

The place to start if you are new!
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: automatic waterers are now froze

Postby Silver » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Most of you who have Mirafounts probably already know this, but it is important to set the water level such that the balls never seat in the holes, a quarter inch gap all the way around the circumference of the ball is about optimum.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 am

Silver - I have never heard that, and it is just the opposite for me. If a little junk of ice gets wedged and the ball does not seat properly, my water will freeze, because it lets the wind in. Yes, the balls can get frozen, but most of the mature cows can break them free by themselves. Under sever conditions, we have had to pop them loose, but the water is nice & clear. And yes, this is with a heater inside and it is a 6 hole tank.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:58 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Silver - I have never heard that, and it is just the opposite for me. If a little junk of ice gets wedged and the ball does not seat properly, my water will freeze, because it lets the wind in. Yes, the balls can get frozen, but most of the mature cows can break them free by themselves. Under sever conditions, we have had to pop them loose, but the water is nice & clear. And yes, this is with a heater inside and it is a 6 hole tank.

The problem is that if the balls fully seat, the water that falls off the cows mouth and the water on the ball run down the sides of the ball as far as the seal and freeze the ball to the seal. It doesn't take but a few minutes when it's cold. We don't heat ours, but only have a 2 hole tank, and when we use it it waters a good number of cows.
I don't know how many cows you have on your tank, but if the water is able to freeze in the tank like you say you probably have way more tank than is best for your numbers, so sealing the balls may be your only choice.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 am

Yes, that is my problem. It is a 6 hole and only a portion of my herd can access this tank. One group can access 3 holes and another group gets the other 3. As I get more calves, their will be more drinking out of it.
And you are soooo right about the water dripping off the cows mouth freezing immediately. Generally, they can pop it open, but we check it each morning.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Beginners Board”