The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Cattle Land 50 acres

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
bird dog wrote:I found 4 cows that will be 6 months bred and 1 cow is 8 months bred . For a total of 3750 . 45 mins from me I’m going to go look at the tomorrow to check them out.

That is pretty cheap. What breed are these cows, and what breed of bull was used on them?

Angus and bred to angus bulls
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote: I have been looking up some Brahman trying to find some in east tx that are pretty good Bulls. I know if I get one I’ll have to pay a hefty amount for a good one. I was thinking if I got bred cows then I possibly could breed them back if I had a bull if I get bred cows I don’t know if I will rush to buy my own bull...

I think it is easiest to rent a bull for a month. You can rent a bull for about $250 for a month.

Here is an ad in East Texas for Hereford heifers and cows that seem to be bred to a Brahman bull and are set to start calving soon. The asking price is $1,575 per head.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/d ... 50405.html

You do not have to feed all the time. You just feed at times like in the winter when the grass stops growing or if it gets very dry in the summer and all the grass is dead. I do recommend that you put out mineral blocks for your cows all year.

I would think 10 round bales for the year would be plenty of hay for five cows and their calves. The round bales sell for about $40 each.
I will have to give them a call that’s not to far from me.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Angus and bred to angus bulls

If you can get five Angus cows that have been bred by an Angus bull and will calve soon for less than $4,000, that is a good deal.

Maybe you can get a couple of those Hereford cows also. You should get at least two Angus bulls from those bred Angus cows and then you can breed the bull to the Hereford cows to produce Black Baldies.

You can also breed the Angus bull you get to the Braford heifers that are born from the Hereford cows. This would be a good three-breed cross.

You would have some of the most popular breeds and crosses of cattle in Texas all in your one small herd.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:33 am

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
bird dog wrote:I found 4 cows that will be 6 months bred and 1 cow is 8 months bred . For a total of 3750 . 45 mins from me I’m going to go look at the tomorrow to check them out.

That is pretty cheap. What breed are these cows, and what breed of bull was used on them?

Remember a "good deal" can end up costing you a lot more in the end. You get what you pay for. Get someone that knows cattle to go with you.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 am

Does anyone on here live in east tx close to winnsboro that maybe I could check out your cow calvd operation and the day to day just to learn some things..? If not it’s fine
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:51 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:

Remember a "good deal" can end up costing you a lot more in the end. You get what you pay for. Get someone that knows cattle to go with you.
will do
1 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Craig Miller wrote:The prefiert place is only a half hour from you

Yup Priefert
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Does anyone on here live in east tx close to winnsboro that maybe I could check out your cow calvd operation and the day to day just to learn some things..? If not it’s fine

I'm a little over an hour away, but you are welcome to look at mine. My pen is made with panels.
1 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Does anyone on here live in east tx close to winnsboro that maybe I could check out your cow calvd operation and the day to day just to learn some things..? If not it’s fine

I'm a little over an hour away, but you are welcome to look at mine. My pen is made with panels.
okay yea I would love to check your panels just check out how your operation work done day
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm

PM sent, Bfields30.
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 am

BC on these boards lives near Canton. He spends a lot of time at different sale barns in east Texas. You might want to send him a PM.
Feel free to send me one too with your information if you can't get in touch with him. I will be seeing him this weekend.
1 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:50 am

Bfields30 wrote:
SchenkAngusFarm wrote:Make sure you have a good chute. At some point you are going to need to work those cattle and it is tough without a chute.
can you throw out any suggestions of brands ?

I think it all depends on your budget and goals.

If you are going to just do it as a hobby, I would suggest just getting a manual chute through a used auction. There are all kinds of websites that sell that stuff.

If you are going to start running a bunch and expanding, you many want a hydraulic chute.

There are also different sizes depending on what kind of frame cow you are running.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have depending on those factors.
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Choosing a bull should I go registered I know want either a brangus or Brahman but also do I need to go registered or not? Cause just being on different things on fb cattle chats they say your bull is what makes your herd?. And also what age should I be looking at?
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Choosing a bull should I go registered I know want either a brangus or Brahman but also do I need to go registered or not? Cause just being on different things on fb cattle chats they say your bull is what makes your herd?. And also what age should I be looking at?

I think the breed of bull depends on the breed of cattle you want to breed him to.

If you have Heefords, the Brahman bull would work well to produce Brafords. If you have Angus, the Brangus bull would work well.

I think it is a good idea to buy a registered bull if you can so you know what you are getting. Yes, having a quality bull will improve your herd. I think a young bull is good if you want to keep the bull for a long time. A young bull is also good for breeding young heifers because the bull is lighter. A bull is ready to breed well at about 15 months old. He certainly will be able to breed your small number of cows you have planned.

Here is a young registered Brangus bull for $1,000. It states, "Dam was the 2016 Grand Champion Bred and Owned Heifer at the Texas Junior Brangus Breeders Association State Show."
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/d ... 54987.html

You need to understand that there is a Brangus breed of cattle. There is also an Angus X Brahman that people call Brangus. It is not the same thing. A cross does not breed true. A breed of cattle will breed true.

Here is a registered polled red Brahman bull that is about two years old in Winnsboro. The asking price is $2,000.
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 46261.html

But, again, you can rent a good bull for about $250 a month. This might be a less expensive option.
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 am

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Choosing a bull should I go registered I know want either a brangus or Brahman but also do I need to go registered or not? Cause just being on different things on fb cattle chats they say your bull is what makes your herd?. And also what age should I be looking at?

I think the breed of bull depends on the breed of cattle you want to breed him to.

If you have Heefords, the Brahman bull would work well to produce Brafords. If you have Angus, the Brangus bull would work well.

I think it is a good idea to buy a registered bull if you can so you know what you are getting. Yes, having a quality bull will improve your herd. I think a young bull is good if you want to keep the bull for a long time. A young bull is also good for breeding young heifers because the bull is lighter. A bull is ready to breed well at about 15 months old. He certainly will be able to breed your small number of cows you have planned.

Here is a young registered Brangus bull for $1,000. It states, "Dam was the 2016 Grand Champion Bred and Owned Heifer at the Texas Junior Brangus Breeders Association State Show."
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/d ... 54987.html

You need to understand that there is a Brangus breed of cattle. There is also an Angus X Brahman that people call Brangus. It is not the same thing. A cross does not breed true. A breed of cattle will breed true.

Here is a registered polled red Brahman bull that is about two years old in Winnsboro. The asking price is $2,000.
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 46261.html

But, again, you can rent a good bull for about $250 a month. This might be a less expensive option.[/quote so I’m thinkibg brangus bull getting two Herefords bred two Bradford’s bred one brangus bred .
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”