Cattle Land 50 acres

The place to start if you are new!
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Cattle Land 50 acres

Postby Bullitt » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
so I’m thinkibg brangus bull getting two Herefords bred two Bradford’s bred one brangus bred .

Did you get a chance to go look at any cattle in your area?
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
so I’m thinkibg brangus bull getting two Herefords bred two Bradford’s bred one brangus bred .

Not yet I’m a coach so I been busy I’m going to to go look at some probably Sunday the ones in Commerce I’m in no rush to buy as long as I can buy buy may is my latest buy date
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:

Not yet I’m a coach so I been busy I’m going to to go look at some probably Sunday the ones in Commerce I’m in no rush to buy as long as I can buy buy may is my latest buy date
cause I also want to go sit in on some sale barn sales just to look at some cattle and get diff advice
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 pm

What’s a good sale barn near winnsboro I know winnsboro has one as well as sulphur spring and Emory ???
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:16 pm

I've never been to the one in Winnsboro, but I prefer Sulphur Springs over Emory.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:So far, you've spent the first 38 years of "profit" on 4 cows. :D If this is just for fun, and money isn't any issue, go for all the fancy business. If not, it's pretty easy to build a catch pen and a head gate that'll suit your needs just fine.

I agree with you on not needing a expensive chute...but you know you coulda built that out off pipe for the same money. It would be stronger, longer lasting and resistant to fire and insects......... :mrgreen:
0 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:40 pm

callmefence wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:So far, you've spent the first 38 years of "profit" on 4 cows. :D If this is just for fun, and money isn't any issue, go for all the fancy business. If not, it's pretty easy to build a catch pen and a head gate that'll suit your needs just fine.

I agree with you on not needing a expensive chute...but you know you coulda built that out off pipe for the same money. It would be stronger, longer lasting and resistant to fire and insects......... :mrgreen:

I'll say it again.....You really need to venture more than a hundred miles from the house sometime. It ain't all cheap pipe and dry climate out there. :lol:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:18 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:

I'll say it again.....You really need to venture more than a hundred miles from the house sometime. It ain't all cheap pipe and dry climate out there. :lol:

https://youtu.be/emACEJzEUDo
0 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:12 am

Bfields30 wrote:What’s a good sale barn near winnsboro I know winnsboro has one as well as sulphur spring and Emory ???

Here are the ones in your area:

Monday - Sulphur Springs Livestock
Tuesday - Emory Livestock Auction or Stone Livestock in Mt Pleasant
Wednesday - Paris Livestock
Thursday - Longview
Friday - Winnsboro
Saturday - Van Zandt Commission at Wills Point, Emory Livestock, Cattleman's Livestock in Paris
1 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:01 am

BC wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:What’s a good sale barn near winnsboro I know winnsboro has one as well as sulphur spring and Emory ???

Here are the ones in your area:

Monday - Sulphur Springs Livestock
Tuesday - Emory Livestock Auction or Stone Livestock in Mt Pleasant
Wednesday - Paris Livestock
Thursday - Longview
Friday - Winnsboro
Saturday - Van Zandt Commission at Wills Point, Emory Livestock, Cattleman's Livestock in Paris
what time does the winnsboro one start ?
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Winnsboro starts at 11:30
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am

Any pros or cons of buying sale barn cattle ?
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:26 am

Bfields30 wrote:Any pros or cons of buying sale barn cattle ?

look for herd dispersals. or buy 700 - 800 lb heifers and bred them.

most cows .. bred .. cow / calves.. are in there for a reason.. and its not because they are good.
2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:48 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Any pros or cons of buying sale barn cattle ?

look for herd dispersals. or buy 700 - 800 lb heifers and bred them.

most cows .. bred .. cow / calves.. are in there for a reason.. and its not because they are good.

People sell really good cattle at auction barns every day for no other reason than they have a great opportunity to take profit. Done it hundreds of times with great cattle. Those with problems are usually pretty obvious and buying at a good barn the auctioneer will usually point out many of them to you. Don't be afraid of sale barn cattle. It's the one place you have a true market and truly receive or pay what they're worth.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Small herd sell out of about 35 cows Saturday at Van Zandt Commission near Wills Point. Talked to owner of the cows, it was a lease place and land sold for a subdivision. Not every cow sold at a sale barn is a cull. Here in East Texas, people swap cows just for something to do or to pay an unexpected bills. I used to have a business card that said I was a used cow dealer.
4 x

Return to “Beginners Board”