The place to start if you are new!
bball
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle Land 50 acres

Postby bball » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:So how many cows should i have to have a bull ???

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to buy some Hereford heifers/cows and you can rent an Angus or Brangus bull for a month for about $250.

The Hereford X Angus will produce Black Baldies. The Hereford X Brangus will produce Super Baldies. The heifers from these crosses are very popular for breeding or for slaughter, as are the steers.

You might even be able to rent a Brahman bull to breed your Hereford cows and produce Braford calves. Or you can always breed a Hereford bull to the cows to get more Herefords.
I found some angus 3n1 for 1800 around Commerce I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 of them calf’s our couple months old as well ... feel like that I could build faster like that open for opinions though

Do you need to build fast? Being new to cattle best I can tell, you may want to take your time and ease into a bit slower. Get your legs under you a bit. There are lots of "hands on" lessons ahead of you. Take your time and build slowly. The lessons learned are cheaper on a small scale, especially if you do not have a local mentor.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Yeah there’s no rush I’ll be making my first purchase in May no later then June. Bred cows
0 x

K&S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby K&S Cattle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Where is this 50 acres located?
Winnsboro Tx hr from Tyler tx

I have family in Winnsboro.
1 x

K&S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby K&S Cattle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Bfields30 wrote:So I been looking up cattle on cattle range and I’m narrowing down my choices. Reg polled herf and angus cows. Or reg Brahman and Hereford but my biggest thing is which is best decision cause I am also thinking about having some steers which one is best for that and maybe selling some of the bull calf’s if I don’t steer them . I know I’m all over the place but I’m just trying to make the right decision.

As you I am a beginner. I picked up 45 acres close to my house and after researching my options I decided on Brangus. I bought 6 bred heifers, 5 bred 3 yr olds and 5 bred 4 yr olds all bred to Reg. Hereford bulls. I have people already wanting to buy the heifers, and a couple guys want to purchase bull calves. I went to the local FSA office and applied for their Micro Loan and got it, took less than a month. The loan rate is 5-7 yrs @ 2.75%, if you interested in financing.

Good luck,

KMM
1 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:53 pm

K&S Cattle wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:So I been looking up cattle on cattle range and I’m narrowing down my choices. Reg polled herf and angus cows. Or reg Brahman and Hereford but my biggest thing is which is best decision cause I am also thinking about having some steers which one is best for that and maybe selling some of the bull calf’s if I don’t steer them . I know I’m all over the place but I’m just trying to make the right decision.

As you I am a beginner. I picked up 45 acres close to my house and after researching my options I decided on Brangus. I bought 6 bred heifers, 5 bred 3 yr olds and 5 bred 4 yr olds all bred to Reg. Hereford bulls. I have people already wanting to buy the heifers, and a couple guys want to purchase bull calves. I went to the local FSA office and applied for their Micro Loan and got it, took less than a month. The loan rate is 5-7 yrs @ 2.75%, if you interested in financing.

Good luck,

KMM
can direct message you I kinda have some questions for you if you don’t mind.
0 x

K&S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby K&S Cattle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
K&S Cattle wrote:

Good luck,

KMM
can direct message you I kinda have some questions for you if you don’t mind.

PM'ed you
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:53 am

I finally made the decision I’ll be purchasing an 8 yr old cow light bred angus 600 and a pair for 1100 8 yr old red angus char calf possibly 3n1 I’ll be getting them delivered next weekend March 17th 18. I know there older but feel like I can have them a couple more yrs then sell them... Thoughts and opinions needed

0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Look like they have had a hard winter, post some more pictures when you get a bit of condition on them and a few side views.

Ken
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”