Protein Tubs

The place to start if you are new!
ky colonel
Cowhand
Cowhand

Protein Tubs

Postby ky colonel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 am

Wanting to see what everyone’s options are on them. What are the positives and negatives for using protein tubs? Timing wise when should they be used, more in winter or summer, all year? What are some good ones to use? Are the ones at TSC or Rural King worth the money?
Thanks.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Protein Tubs

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:47 am

I have never used one, but hubby used to be a nutritionist. He always said they were an excellent product IF you have poor hay/grass. Cattle can be knee deep in grass (or hay) and starve to death if their isn't enough nutrients in it. The protein tubs allow their bodies to utilize the poor grass/hay. Winter or summer, just depends on your food source for the cattle.
If you have good hay, it's probably a waste of money.
I'm sure their are others on here that have some experience with them.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:00 pm

There are quite a few threads in the Feedyard section about tubs.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm

I only use them in the winter when my cows have calves at their sides. I know my hay is not the greatest and does not provide quite enough protein for lactating cows. You need a cooked tub. I am not sure what TSC or rural king sales but I would be leery of them or any big box store where profits come before quality.

I use a 30% "All in One" that includes some minerals. Most tubs are made locally because of freight costs.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:15 pm

I know a lot of folks that use them, in the winter. I have in the past used them and I reckon they are a pretty good product, but all in all I prefer to supplement with a few pounds of a feed ration. I haven't used any from the big stores, so I'm not sure how they compare to others. Currently I do have some out for some 500-600 lbs heifers that are over on a back part of the farm. I am feeding them some feed daily too, just have the tubs out to help insure they are getting what they need in terms of vitamins and minerals. I believe these are a 24% protein tub from Southern States.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Ky hills wrote:I know a lot of folks that use them, in the winter. I have in the past used them and I reckon they are a pretty good product, but all in all I prefer to supplement with a few pounds of a feed ration. I haven't used any from the big stores, so I'm not sure how they compare to others. Currently I do have some out for some 500-600 lbs heifers that are over on a back part of the farm. I am feeding them some feed daily too, just have the tubs out to help insure they are getting what they need in terms of vitamins and minerals. I believe these are a 24% protein tub from Southern States.

Most of the cooked tubs are excellent products. I would recommend sticking with those with a good name and a long history behind them. The quality is there, consumption is about as advertised and they are very useful and convenient. About the only negative is cost but sometimes you can't put a price on convenience. Personally i'd rather hand feed.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 pm

We are using tubs on a farm we just bought. There was quite a bit of poor forage standing and I feel the tubs are allowing them to stay in good condition and clean up our fields. Once we switch to hay we may hand feed these cows since we will be there near daily. We're using the 30-13 Purina Rangeland tubs.
1 x
J & D Cattle

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm

I use the co.op 24% Stimu-Lyx with fescue relief...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Great value to me. Can buy $2k worth of tubs for winter and not worry about hay quality. $2k doesn't go very far towards working up and seeding down and fertilizing land to high quality forage. Far cheaper and easier than feeding grain supplement to everything every day. Costs me about $8 a day to have tubs available to all groups of cattle, about 140 head total.
2 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 pm

I use a tub for supplementing low quality hay and late grazing.Still have about 100 head grazing and eating very little hay.The only tubs I will use are the ones which do not have much,if any,salt as the ones I used inthe past had enough salt to control the rate of feeding and did not have enough Calcium and Phosphorus.The cattle would go to the ubs and not use very much mineral.I learned the hard way after having a cow and bull go down from lack of minerals.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 am

I use the Purina 30% tub during the months we feed hay. For all the same reasons mentioned above. I also keep hi mag loose mineral out all year.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 am

you're buying pricey molasses
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:18 am

ddd75 wrote:you're buying pricey molasses

Plus protein, vitamins, minerals, and energy. :nod: :nod:
4 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 am

I see tubs as a way to utilize standing dry forage. The kr bluestem will grow waist high by frost. It has the nutrients of cardboard. But with tubes and alot of ground a man can take care of cows with no hay and little labor.

If you're feeding hay you are in the pasture feeding everyday anyway. You might as well feed grain or cake.
1 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 am

Aaron wrote:Great value to me. Can buy $2k worth of tubs for winter and not worry about hay quality. $2k doesn't go very far towards working up and seeding down and fertilizing land to high quality forage. Far cheaper and easier than feeding grain supplement to everything every day. Costs me about $8 a day to have tubs available to all groups of cattle, about 140 head total.

That doesn't appear to be a very high rate of consumption per head.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”