Breed Selection/Starting up

The place to start if you are new!
Rangenerd
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Breed Selection/Starting up

Postby Rangenerd » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:00 pm

If you are looking at hereford angus offspring I would look at putting a hereford bull on some good angus cows. It is a lot easier to find good angus cows that good hereford cows.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Rangenerd wrote:If you are looking at hereford angus offspring I would look at putting a hereford bull on some good angus cows. It is a lot easier to find good angus cows that good hereford cows.

Cause you can't sling a dead cat and not hit one...if you were to stop in front of every angus farm here Just in one day,,you'd wear out a set of brakes..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Jafruech
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jafruech » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Figured I'd post an update. I ended up going with Option 3...There's a guy near me who has been running LH/ANG cross cows for quite a while, and I was able to get some market data on how they do out here (and his do well). After talking with him at length and building that report.. I was able to get some of his 50/50 and 75/25 ANG/LH cross bred cows (2015 models) for a price I couldn't say no to. I am pretty amazed at the maternal traits and docility of these cows...growing up with Herefords and baldies I never knew they could be this easy to handle. I plan on continuing to buy from him for as long as he has heifers and cows for sale. Attached are some of the cows I got from him (the blacks).

1 x
“If all you are trying to do is essentially the same as everyone else, then it’s unlikely you will be very successful.” ~ Michael Porter

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:18 am

They look like they will do the job for you. I see a bit of snow around, I thought Longhorns were more of a Texas breed.

Ken
0 x

Jafruech
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jafruech » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 am

wbvs58 wrote:They look like they will do the job for you. I see a bit of snow around, I thought Longhorns were more of a Texas breed.

Ken

They are raised and thrive in just about every climate in North America...From West Texas to Canada. Tropics and desert to the Canadian winter. Their hardiness and adaptability are pretty outstanding.
0 x
“If all you are trying to do is essentially the same as everyone else, then it’s unlikely you will be very successful.” ~ Michael Porter

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Longhorns are very popular here in Pennsylvania.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:03 am

Very popular? In total number? Or just very popular among a subset of some producers? Not popular among packers.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 am

Son of Butch wrote:Very popular? In total number? Or just very popular among a subset of some producers? Not popular among packers.

That's your next assignment. Instead of just asking stupid questions research it and get back to us. (Provide source for findings)
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Document the great popularity of Long Horns in Pennsylvania TB or blow it........ bsc its b.s.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm

I am sure there are some people in Pennsylvania who raise Texas Longhorns. But I am sure it is not correct to say that Texas Longhorns are very popular in Pennsylvania.

I live in Texas, where there are probably more Longhorn cattle than anywhere else, and I would not say they are very popular here in Texas. I can name many other cattle breeds that are more common than Texas Longhorns here in Texas.

That being said, I think crossing Texas Longhorns and Angus makes for very hardy momma cows that are easy keepers. I would put a continental bull on those cows and sell the calves.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”