tubs vs cubes

The place to start if you are new!
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

tubs vs cubes

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:48 am

Seems to be 2 of the most common protein supplements to go along with hay or roughage. Would 38% cubes not be more cost effective than tubs other than convenience?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: tubs vs cubes

Postby greybeard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:30 pm

Maybe. If they were rainproof.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Can't say, not enough info.
What does cubes cost?
What kinds of tubs you talking about?
some are 50.00 + or - a few bucks and some cooked tubs are 110.00 + or - a few bucks.
What's the travel to feed ?
Out the back door or in my case I have one place 97 miles round trip
The 97 mile place if I count my time, wear & tear on the PU and cost of fuel then I don't know I could come out feeding cubes if they were free.
All the debate about tubs on here for the last few years many people don't seem to understand there is a lot more to cost than the price paid.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:19 pm

BRYANT wrote:Can't say, not enough info.
What does cubes cost?
What kinds of tubs you talking about?
some are 50.00 + or - a few bucks and some cooked tubs are 110.00 + or - a few bucks.
What's the travel to feed ?
Out the back door or in my case I have one place 97 miles round trip
The 97 mile place if I count my time, wear & tear on the PU and cost of fuel then I don't know I could come out feeding cubes if they were free.
All the debate about tubs on here for the last few years many people don't seem to understand there is a lot more to cost than the price paid.

Anybody can use their own variables. Just mine for example: 16% ration- $200 a ton, 38% cubes- $350 per ton, 28% cooked tubs- $1000 per ton, and 11% hay for $70 per ton. 1 hour turnaround on feeding time.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Seems to be 2 of the most common protein supplements to go along with hay or roughage. Would 38% cubes not be more cost effective than tubs other than convenience?

Convenience is the big selling point for both tubs and liquid feed. Put it out and forget it. Visit when you get the opportunity. For those situations my opinion is that tubs and liquid feed would be the most feasible method of supplementation. For me, with all the cattle close by, feeding cubes is both the most economical and the highest quality of feed whether it's a 20% cube or the 38% cube. Takes me 30 minutes every time I feed but I work cheap and I get to walk through the cattle and observe every little thing that might not look quite right.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Ranchman have you ever tried range meal, I have used it for years for me with the distance I am away I think it is the best deal for the money. It cost 340 per ton for non medicated. I will mix some corn in it when we are having very cold /bad weather, cold for Okla. not like some on here show pictures of, I see more people feed it in the SE part of the state than I do around here, seems like more tubs are fed the father west you go, in Okla.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Return to “Beginners Board”