Pics from North of 56

The place to start if you are new!
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Pics from North of 56

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Yes very good eye. I would imagine that a few weeks ago you could have taken a photo of the sunrise then have a coffee and turn around and take the sunset.

Ken
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:22 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Yes very good eye. I would imagine that a few weeks ago you could have taken a photo of the sunrise then have a coffee and turn around and take the sunset.

Ken

That's about the size of it. And in June you never see it rise or set.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am

I look at these kind of frigid pictures of cattle and wonder sometimes if I'm just being foolish when I worry about mine being out in below 30 degF temps and frozen rain/sleet or just above freezing, windy and constant drizzle. One of my yearling bulls had icicles hanging off his haircoat last week, back humped up and just standing with his butt in the wind and it's one of the few times I've seen it here and I felt bad about it.

How much of a cow's ability to handle weather is genetic and how much is acclimation?
If one of my Char/sims were to go to your area during warm months, would it freeze to death in deep winter?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:07 pm

excellent pics!
We have really ugly weather right now, windy, raining.. I'd take freezing over this crud any day.. 15F is about perfect weather!
As long as the cows have a full belly and are dry, they do alright.. My cows start to get pizzed about the cold at -10F and they certainly eat more.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 pm

greybeard wrote:I look at these kind of frigid pictures of cattle and wonder sometimes if I'm just being foolish when I worry about mine being out in below 30 degF temps and frozen rain/sleet or just above freezing, windy and constant drizzle. One of my yearling bulls had icicles hanging off his haircoat last week, back humped up and just standing with his butt in the wind and it's one of the few times I've seen it here and I felt bad about it.

How much of a cow's ability to handle weather is genetic and how much is acclimation?
If one of my Char/sims were to go to your area during warm months, would it freeze to death in deep winter?

I think cold and wet is far worse than very cold and dry.
One of your cows if brought here might have a bit of a rough first winter but not bad, then would never look back. Probably come to thank me for adopting her every day during the summer :lol2:
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”