5 yr. old bull ?

The place to start if you are new!
tncattle
GURU
GURU

5 yr. old bull ?

Postby tncattle » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 am

The owner of the small cattle farm I manage wants to get rid of his 5 yr. old bull and get two younger ones. He asked me if could have him slaughtered for hamburger and I said yes he could. I'm just double checking that that is correct? He's around 1800-2000 lbs. and muscular so I figured he's gonna get quite a bit of burger from him.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 5 yr. old bull ?

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:09 am

tncattle wrote:The owner of the small cattle farm I manage wants to get rid of his 5 yr. old bull and get two younger ones. He asked me if could have him slaughtered for hamburger and I said yes he could. I'm just double checking that that is correct? He's around 1800-2000 lbs. and muscular so I figured he's gonna get quite a bit of burger from him.

If he's a quality bull with good numbers I'd suggest selling him private treaty first. 5 is too young to slaughter for burger in my opinion.

He would probable make good burgers but to me that's a shame.
5 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

If you do it, I'd grain him before hand...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:33 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
tncattle wrote:The owner of the small cattle farm I manage wants to get rid of his 5 yr. old bull and get two younger ones. He asked me if could have him slaughtered for hamburger and I said yes he could. I'm just double checking that that is correct? He's around 1800-2000 lbs. and muscular so I figured he's gonna get quite a bit of burger from him.

If he's a quality bull with good numbers I'd suggest selling him private treaty first. 5 is too young to slaughter for burger in my opinion.

Seems like around five is the age they start to figure out how big and strong they are. soon as that happens its best to cut em loose.
0 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:35 am

Maybe Fence is right, but that seems like a waste.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm

callmefence wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Seems like around five is the age they start to figure out how big and strong they are. soon as that happens its best to cut em loose.

Don't tell my 8 year old Angus or his buddy the Hereford who is 7 and also still going strong.
0 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:24 pm

Is he what you're looking for in a bull otherwise? Pass a BSE? Using him for a season and then putting him in the freezer sounds like a better plan...
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Yes there is no reason you can't grind up a five year old bull. It's what happens to the greatest majority of five year old bulls that go to town. Literally where hamburger comes from.
0 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm

If he's in good shape, and a desirable type of bull, passing bse as mentioned, you may get more for him. Some smaller, or not so small, outfits may have a place for him. Why's he not wanting to keep him?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 pm

He would be fine in burger but you better have lots of people who want burger because he will make a lot of it. As for keeping him. He better be a ripper. I never keep them that long. They eat a lot while waiting around for the next breeding season. They tear up a lot of stuff. And they commonly start getting angry at that age.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 am

A slaughter bull is bringing $0.85+ a pound here, that's a lot of money to buy prime steak with. None of the bs of dealing with anything or anyone.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Beginners Board”