AngusxHerford

The place to start if you are new!
Grundy53
Cowhand
Cowhand

AngusxHerford

Postby Grundy53 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Newbie question. If you wanted to make black baldies with Angus and hereford, would you rather a hereford bull on Angus cows or Angus bull on hereford cows and please explain why? I would think Angus bull on hereford cows that way if you did happen to acquire any cows of a different breed you would still have black calves. But I've seen a lot of folks saying use a hereford bull so I could be missing something.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Re: AngusxHerford

Postby angus9259 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Hereford cow / angus bull. Where I live Hereford cows are cheaper and angus bulls much more plentiful (broader selection) - as is semen.
3 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Yes, if you're starting out hereford females are generally cheaper, but if you already have angus cows then it's easier
to change bulls than cows.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Here these days, it's hard to put a herd of good Herefords together... But Angus are plentiful...
3 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:04 pm

No offense to the OP, but the only purebred animal on any commercial farm is generally the bull. Around here (central KY) I'd say that 90+% of commercial herds are angus based (they're black). For baldy calves it would probably be the best (cheapest and easiest) option to shop around for the best quality black cows (angus based) and then match them to a Hereford bull.
Pic off newborn baldy calf. This heifer was aied to R294:

0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 am

Grundy53 wrote:Newbie question. If you wanted to make black baldies with Angus and hereford, would you rather a hereford bull on Angus cows or Angus bull on hereford cows and please explain why? I would think Angus bull on hereford cows that way if you did happen to acquire any cows of a different breed you would still have black calves. But I've seen a lot of folks saying use a hereford bull so I could be missing something.

I just posted this a little earlier and it seems to fit your situation also.

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to buy some Hereford heifers/cows and you can rent an Angus or Brangus bull for a month for about $250.

The Hereford X Angus will produce Black Baldies. The Hereford X Brangus will produce Super Baldies. The heifers from these crosses are very popular for breeding or for slaughter, as are the steers.

You might even be able to rent a Brahman bull to breed your Hereford cows and produce Braford calves. Or you can always breed a Hereford bull to the cows to get more Herefords.
0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:37 am

It really boils down to which you like better,Hereford cows or Angus cows.
Good luck
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:32 pm

skeeter swatter wrote:It really boils down to which you like better,Hereford cows or Angus cows.
Good luck

Personally I like Hereford... But they got weaseled out here years ago..different breeds of Bulls every decade gert,beefmaster,simm, a few brangus then Charolais,now it's Angus....in every commercial herd...
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:16 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Here these days, it's hard to put a herd of good Herefords together... But Angus are plentiful...

Good point.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Why is a Hereford herd tough to put together?
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:55 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Why is a Hereford herd tough to put together?

Because those that have them don't like to sell them.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:15 pm

No commercial Hereford cattle for sale here.. There's registered cattle for sale.way to much startup cost, especially just to raise baldies...you can buy 2 good quality commercial angus to one registered Hereford...at one time in the 80's you could buy Hereford, some ""red poll"" which you don't see at all here anymore, and were prevalent at one time...and shorthorn
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm

If I could put together a herd of Hereford cows I'd run a Brahman bull on them. Then breed the heifers to a Brangus bull, and laugh all the way to the bank.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:45 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:If I could put together a herd of Hereford cows I'd run a Brahman bull on them. Then breed the heifers to a Brangus bull, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Is that a good three-way cross?

I would think it might not be since Brangus have Brahman genetics. A homozygous black continental European bull such as a Simmental might be better to breed to the Braford heifers/cows.

By the way, I am seeing ads for young Hereford heifers here in North Texas for $600 each.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:If I could put together a herd of Hereford cows I'd run a Brahman bull on them. Then breed the heifers to a Brangus bull, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Is that a good three-way cross?

I would think it might not be since Brangus have Brahman genetics. A homozygous black continental European bull such as a Simmental might be better to breed to the Braford heifers/cows.

The best in the south.
http://www.cattlerange.com/B-Tigerstripe.html
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Beginners Board”