The place to start if you are new!
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: AngusxHerford

Postby Bullitt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:00 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:If I could put together a herd of Hereford cows I'd run a Brahman bull on them. Then breed the heifers to a Brangus bull, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Is that a good three-way cross?

I would think it might not be since Brangus have Brahman genetics. A homozygous black continental European bull such as a Simmental might be better to breed to the Braford heifers/cows.

The best in the south.
http://www.cattlerange.com/B-Tigerstripe.html

I see ads there for Braford/Tigerstripe heifers and cows. That is from the Hereford X Brahman. Am I missing the Braford X Brangus?
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:05 pm

You only have a two way cross using Braford. You come back over the heifers with Braford or whatever one of the three breeds you choose. The choices are endless.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:10 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:You only have a two way cross using Braford. You come back over the heifers with Braford or whatever one of the three breeds you choose. The choices are endless.

Yes, I understand that. I was just saying I think something like a Simmental would be best to breed to the Braford cows. From what I read, the best results are achieved with three separate breeds. Usually it involves a British breed, such as Hereford, a continental European breed, such as a Simmental, and a breed like Brahman.

If you cross Braford and Brangus, they both have Brahman genetics so you lose some of the potential you can get with a three-way cross, I believe. I may be wrong on this, though.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:You only have a two way cross using Braford. You come back over the heifers with Braford or whatever one of the three breeds you choose. The choices are endless.

Yes, I understand that. I was just saying I think something like a Simmental would be best to breed to the Braford cows. From what I read, the best results are achieved with three separate breeds. Usually it involves a British breed, such as Hereford, a continental European breed, such as a Simmental, and a breed like Brahman.

If you cross Braford and Brangus, they both have Brahman genetics so you lose some of the potential you can get with a three-way cross, I believe. I may be wrong on this, though.

Well I don't know about what the books say, but I'm not into trying to reinvent the wheel. You can try whatever you want, but in the south you can't beat a baldie or tiger stripe for a commercial momma cow. And no matter what the Simmental pimps think, Angus is what adds marble and tenderness to beef.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:30 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

Well I don't know about what the books say, but I'm not into trying to reinvent the wheel. You can try whatever you want, but in the south you can't beat a baldie or tiger stripe for a commercial momma cow. And no matter what the Simmental pimps think, Angus is what adds marble and tenderness to beef.

I am not trying to pimp any breed. I agree about Baldies and Tigerstripe cows here in Texas.

I think an Angus bull on Braford cows would be good. It seems that Angus from Scotland and Hereford from England are far enough apart genetically to make a good cross.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bullitt wrote:

I am not trying to pimp any breed. I agree about Baldies and Tigerstripe cows here in Texas.

I think an Angus bull on Braford cows would be good. It seems that Angus from Scotland and Hereford from England are far enough apart genetically to make a good cross.

Ain't no cattle around here from England and Scotland, there all from the US of A.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Ain't no cattle around here from England and Scotland, there all from the US of A.

Herefords were developed in England and Angus were developed in Scotland.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:35 am

Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I believe they were developed long before there was such a place as England or Scotland myself.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:13 am

Bullitt wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Cortachy boy..Scottish bull..https://www.google.com/search?q=cortach ... U4XbXSBdRM:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:06 am

I agree with most comments on this thread about the pairing of the 2 breeds. Hereford seem to be a better fit for cows for many reasons. But good Hereford cows are hard to find here as well. And as someone else already posted, there seem to be Angus bulls for sale everywhere. I’ve always enjoyed Hereford cows and my experience has been they are much more calm than Angus cows. Maybe just my experiences though? Either way, they make a fantastic cross
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Grundy53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Grundy53 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”