STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY

The place to start if you are new!
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY

Postby TexasBred » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:24 pm

M-5 wrote:its not unusual to see tractors moving equipment here sometime 50 miles between farms. The big row croppers here are always on the road with Duals and some piece of equipment behind it. One guy custom combines in the tristates he put a hitch on the back of combine to pull his header wagon. His son usually follows with truck and fuel trailer behind that . Year before last I drove all my equipment about 15 miles to hay a field .

Same way in the farming country down here.....tractors all ready to rock and roll and river inside having a few beers before he starts the hard stuff.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for all the input.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 am

If you own a truck and trailer to haul with, anything over a mile or 3 is too far to drive the tractor. If you don't have a truck or trailer but could easily borrow or rent one, 10-15 miles would be my range. If you can't easily rent or borrow a truck/trailer 20-30 miles would be my limit.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 am

Ridgefarmer63 wrote:As some of you might already know, we're looking to upgrade/increase the haying operation.
How far is too far to drive a tractor down the road?

18 miles maximum, but I know some do 40 miles.
1 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 am

Lazy M wrote:If you own a truck and trailer to haul with, anything over a mile or 3 is too far to drive the tractor.

A mile or 3......? I could drive the tractor there and be started mowing hay before I could even have the trailer hitched up let alone tractor loaded and chained down, then unchaining and unloading.

Heck I drive almost that far to get to the other side of the home farm.
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 am

I drive my newer tractors 10+miles down the main highway all the time. When I see 4 or 5 cars behind me I pull over and let them by. One idiot that shouldn't be driving will cause all kinds of problems for everyone else, they'll either be a little old lady or black every time.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:51 am

Lazy M wrote:If you own a truck and trailer to haul with, anything over a mile or 3 is too far to drive the tractor. If you don't have a truck or trailer but could easily borrow or rent one, 10-15 miles would be my range. If you can't easily rent or borrow a truck/trailer 20-30 miles would be my limit.

A mile or 3 really!!???? That's crazy maybe you have lots of free time but by the time you hook up a trailer load the tractor chain it down then unload it you could have drove the tractor there and already be mowing hay. I would never get anything done doing that. I drive my tractors all summer long on the roads as far as about 15 miles from home. Sometimes I will haul a tractor to a field if Iam headed that way with the truck and trailer anyway.
1 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 am

It takes me 5 minutes or less to load and secure my tractor..
0 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Ridgefarmer63 wrote:As some of you might already know, we're looking to upgrade/increase the haying operation.
How far is too far to drive a tractor down the road?

18 miles maximum, but I know some do 40 miles.

lol.

I'm thinking 9.8 miles max ( That's how far away my biggest field is)
0 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:36 pm

On place I hayed that was a bit farther away was drive the tractor and mower over then have wife come get me and then pull baler over with truck and pull mower back home with truck. Then it was just one trip with tractor.
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:17 am

From one end to the other it is probably 40mi of highways, back roads, and busy main roads on our row crop operation. All equipment is driven on the road.

I'd be very happy with 10mi
0 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:09 am

Y'all convinced me. I'm headin' down the road. Thanks for the input.

Now I just have to negotiate the terms with the landowner. She says the soils are very rich, we'll see.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Lazy M wrote:It takes me 5 minutes or less to load and secure my tractor..

Your quick. No way I could hitch up the gooseneck trailer, get the ramps down, drive the tractor up, dig out chains and binders, put 5 chains and binders on, put the ramps up and be in the driver seat of the truck in 5 minutes.

Maybe a lawn mower with little ratchet straps, but not a 18k lbs tractor.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:02 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
Lazy M wrote:It takes me 5 minutes or less to load and secure my tractor..

Your quick. No way I could hitch up the gooseneck trailer, get the ramps down, drive the tractor up, dig out chains and binders, put 5 chains and binders on, put the ramps up and be in the driver seat of the truck in 5 minutes.

Maybe a lawn mower with little ratchet straps, but not a 18k lbs tractor.

Lots of practice
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 pm

To each their own. If you can load up in 5 minutes and haul it around go for it. For me it's much easier too hook up the implement and drive to the field with the radio and ac on and get the tractor and implement their in one trip, no hooking up a trailer, no lifting chains/binders and ramps. Also no having to trailer the tractor and then go back for the implement in a 2nd trip.

I have a river that runs through the middle of the farm so the only way to get from one side to the other with wide equipment is to go out to the highway which is a 2 mile trip, if I loaded the tractor on a trailer every time I went from one side to the other that would be 5+ times a day on occasion.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”