Buzzards killing mature cows

The place to start if you are new!
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Buzzards killing mature cows

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 am

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:They used to not be in my area and I have seen a lot more of them. I talked to someone that runs an energy company and they kill a few each year with a special permit and leave them hanging on wires. It apparently keeps the others away.

I am deeply concerned that fish and wildlife is letting the numbers of these birds get out of control. I see larger and larger groups of them and more and more cattlemen losing calves. It worries me.

It’s a simple solution SSS.
1 x

Midtenn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Midtenn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Don't know why but fall calving we had zero issues. Seems to be worse in the spring and with first calf heifers. Cows seem to know to hide out in the cedars for a day or so. We started keeping all our first calvers at the house now where people are driving in and out.
From what I understand its a federal law to shoot them. State game wardens at least here will not write a ticket for it. I have never seen or heard of a federal game warden, so who's going to get you? Hanging one on a pole works.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:48 pm

If you do a little research and google Black buzzards or mexican buzzards, you will come up with all kinds of pages to look at. There are/were several states that were considering legislation , if it hasn't already passed in some of the, to make it legal to kill them due to their overwhelming numbers and how destructive they have become. Here in Va I have been told "OFF THE RECORD" , to shoot 'em. They are considered a nusiance (sp?) even though they are technically protected. There is not a game warden or anyone else that will even look twice at you for getting rid of a few around here. They are being trapped "legally" by the "authorities" because they are such a problem within the city limits of one city.
We have our greatest problem with them in the spring calving group, and like Midtenn with the first calf heifers. Maybe the cows do better at "circling the wagons" or go off and hide more to calve. Not so much in the fall.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:27 pm

If your fields are open, you don't even have to bother hanging them up. Lay them out and spread their wings.
I have also found that shooting at them, even if they are to far away to kill, seems to do some good. If you can find where they are roosting, sneak down there at dark are fire off a few rounds. They don't like being harassed.
1 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:27 am

bird dog wrote:If your fields are open, you don't even have to bother hanging them up. Lay them out and spread their wings.
I have also found that shooting at them, even if they are to far away to kill, seems to do some good. If you can find where they are roosting, sneak down there at dark are fire off a few rounds. They don't like being harassed.

Theoretically the problem with that here is that coyotes eat everything on the ground.
0 x

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:11 pm

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:
bird dog wrote:If your fields are open, you don't even have to bother hanging them up. Lay them out and spread their wings.

Theoretically the problem with that here is that coyotes eat everything on the ground.

Never had anything eat a buzzard. They lay there till the worms are done and thats all that touches them.
1 x

KyNewbie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby KyNewbie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 pm

I wish I would have done a better job of keeping up with this post so I could have engaged in some of these conversations along the way. Before this I didn’t think there was any way buzzards would target much less kill a mature cow that wasn’t either a) calving or b) down &?halfway dead anyways. I had heard people tell tales of them getting after calves but I even found that highly unlikely. After I lost the second cow dead on Friday afternoon I decided to drag it up towards the woodline instead of burying it. There just so happened to be a turkey blind conviniently located in the area. I spent some time in the blind Saturday and “scared” the first wave off. Within 2 hours they were beginning to come back in. About 120 yards across the pasture is where I had my hay rings at the time and the buzzards flew inand roosted in the trees nearby the hay rings before they came back to the carcass. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t of watched it with my own eyes but about half the group probably 15-20 buzzards flew down and circled around a cow that had walked away from the hay and was away from the group. They closed in and started to nip at her heels. I didn’t let this go any further and fired a shot to scatter them again. With spring calving around the corner and me not being around during the day due to a public job it worries me to death.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 am

Don't scatter them, SHOOT THEM. There are several stories in some of those googled posts that talk about them going after mature animals. I do know they will go after mature sheep, have seen it in person. And they will go after and attack live healthy calves. Had one place with a big shed on the end of the barn. High roof that you could put a full hay wagon into. Had a small fenced area outside of it and used it to raise some bottle calves in. They could get into the shed and go out into a small area in the sun and grass. Had those sorry B$%#@ go into the shed part where the calves were during the hot part of the day and peck out the eyes and go after the rear end/anus of 2 different bottle calves. I'm talking month old size bottle calves. Had to kill both those calves and I got 3 of those sorry black $%#%$ too.
2 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:35 pm

farmerjan wrote: Had to kill both those calves and I got 3 of those sorry black $%#%$ too.

Within the last few years, I've had 2 of those nasty-a$$ed birds commit suicide, while driving down the road, they jumped right in front of the truck. :cowboy:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Beginners Board”