Grass fed weights

The place to start if you are new!
Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Grass fed weights

Postby Allenw » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 pm

They look like bottle calves to me, calves have been hustling for a long time.
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Ivomec is a great product. But, it does not get tapeworms. I use Valbazen on my calves along with pour-on. Very few dewormers get tapeworms and they are a major problem for calves. Your calves do not look good - especially for their age - no matter what you are feeding them.
You should be able to take a stool sample to your vet or just get a product to deworm them again that will get tapeworms.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:25 pm

you guys are forgetting where he is. summer is 120 degrees. not sure what kind of grass he has. when I was in northern pa it was nothing to have 600 lb weaned calves. when I came to Missouri, it was a different world, some of my cows from pa actually died here. I was ashamed of my calves the first couple of years, did good to make 4-5 hundred. some of you need to send some of your cattle down south before you criticize him to much. I have seen cattle in texas & Arkansas that look worse.
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 am

jerry27150 wrote:you guys are forgetting where he is. summer is 120 degrees. not sure what kind of grass he has. when I was in northern pa it was nothing to have 600 lb weaned calves. when I came to Missouri, it was a different world, some of my cows from pa actually died here. I was ashamed of my calves the first couple of years, did good to make 4-5 hundred. some of you need to send some of your cattle down south before you criticize him to much. I have seen cattle in texas & Arkansas that look worse.

Yes but these are 12-14 months of age they have been through the whole 4 seasons and almost another one. Apart from drought conditions which was never mentioned every place that I know of has their growing season and the season where things are dormant. If you are growing bulls it is imperative to keep a close eye on their weight if you want something to sell and adjust their feed if things are not going to expectation. It may require some destocking to ease the grazing pressure or to plant some forage crop to fill the feed gap when pasture is not growing to maintain the grassfed status but what ever it takes you have to do it if you want to have a saleable product.

Ken
3 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:56 am

jerry, I understand what you are saying. But, these calves might be fine at weaning time, not as yearlings. Granted the pics were taken in Nov. so they were 10-12 months of age. It sounds like he is doing a good job trying to supplement them knowing they don't have grass to eat. So, to me, there is something else he is dealing with.

You need to visit others in your area and see if someone local can look at your cattle. I still would deworm for tapeworms.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 am

My commercial cows will gain 3+ pounds a day starting next week for 70 - 90 days then it's maintain or lose a little for the rest of the year till winter. During the winter they'll lose a pound a day trying to get by to the spring grass. I've figured out that there's no money to be made in trying to keep a cow fat year round. I've never bought a fancy cow or bull that could thrive under my management practices. I would like to buy a few fancy heifers or cows and put out with my commercial cows and post weekly pictures of them on here.
Simmental melts the worse, followed by Angus, then comes Hereford. Beefmaster is the best breed under our management that I've tried so far, till it's time to sell the calves.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am

It is really interesting to hear the differences in areas. I forget how much difference just from Kansas to NY.
When we moved here from Kansas, we were amazed that it stayed GREEN all summer.
"Again" our snow has melted & the cows are picking around at the green grass that had been under the snow.
0 x

tjmdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tjmdo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks for all the help guys. To tell you the truth. We've been watching them close. Deworming and such. They've never really fallen off or looked skinny. I have read that it can take upwards of 24 months to feed out a simmi on grass. If that's true I think I'm right there. I've taken all you've said to heart and am deworming again. These guys are not out on our 250 acres yet and have just been getting hay and the little grass I have. We will be transitioning to the big property coming up. I know that simmi is not ideal but we are going to try them on grass as it would be great for the grass fed folks to have a seed stock simmi producer to buy from. We are concentrating on moderate framed cattle, less than 5. I'll let you know how things come out. The tough thing is that I can't find any data on the weights of grass fed cattle. Just that it takes anywhere from 18-30 months to feed out.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:54 pm

tjmdo wrote:I just weighed my grass fed yearling Bulls. Not happy with their weights.
What should I expect on grass and hay with protein tub and mineral supplements at 12-14 months?

tjmdo wrote:East Texas and they weigh 604, 602 and 458....

13 months old (390 days) 555 lb average minus 70 lb birth weight, 485 lbs in 390 days = 1.25 lbs gain per day

Calves and yearlings on a good grass pasture should be gaining 2 lbs day.
East Texas should have good grass 5 months out of the year (mid April - mid September)... right? 150 days = 300 lbs
Your challenge is to provide enough quality grass hay the other 7 months (215 days) to gain another 300 lbs = 1.4/day
600 lbs yr = 1.65 lb average
24 mos = 1200 + 70 bw = 1270 lbs finished
1270 x.60% = 762 lbs hanging weight
1 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Grass fed beef is more about raising grass than feeding beef regardless of the breed. One way or another those calves are telling you they need nutrition (which is different than "food"). If you are going to pursue this (regardless of breed) you will have to put some serious intensity into raising year round "grasses" (what do you mean by "grass" by the way??) of superior nutritional value. There is no one who can tell you how big they SHOULD be without knowing what they ate.

After I wean my bulls I put them on grass till they are yearlings. They gain 2 lbs per day but are 600 lbs when I wean them and they get nothing but young grass from intensive rotational grazing and brush hogging.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”