Grass fed weights

The place to start if you are new!
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Grass fed weights

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:17 pm

Yes Simmentals can eat grass, but Thousand Hills is warning producers that want to sell to them that their experience
has been continentals have been unable to consistently finish on grass to their grass fed standards and carcasses that don't grade to their standards are subject to heavy docks.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:55 am

Grit - yes, we DO have great grass & hay here in NY and, yet, it is not recommended as a good area for grass fed beef. Grass fed beef is a real delicate feed management to achieve the right finished product. The animals need to be on a continuous increase in nutrition.
SOB - yes, I totally understood your statement, but that is what I said also about the grass fed co-op out here. They were/are totally against anyone using continental breeds. But, they did accept and approve this friends farm. People still have a bad taste in their mouth about Simmental being too big. The modern American Simmental national cow weight is lighter than Angus cows. (not sure if I can put my fingers on those reports).
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 am

BTW - I am NOT promoting using Simmental for grass fed beef. I wouldn't promote ANYTHING to be used for grass fed beef. LOL
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:18 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:BTW - I am NOT promoting using Simmental for grass fed beef. I wouldn't promote ANYTHING to be used for grass fed beef. LOL

Simi x Aberdeen Low line :idea:
1 x
Stocker Steve

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:BTW - I am NOT promoting using Simmental for grass fed beef. I wouldn't promote ANYTHING to be used for grass fed beef. LOL

Simi x Aberdeen Low line :idea:

I think that is what the OP must have LOL
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:17 am

Son of Butch wrote:Yes Simmentals can eat grass, but Thousand Hills is warning producers that want to sell to them that their experience
has been continentals have been unable to consistently finish on grass to their grass fed standards and carcasses that don't grade to their standards are subject to heavy docks.

i called up thousand hills once and talked to some guy. Told him I could have a potload of grass finished beeves. He didn't care, wasn't interested. I was pretty blown away.. I figured they must have a million people calling them.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am

Thousand Hills has had a very interesting history. I toured their operation when Todd was still there. They had their own "certification" process. Their requirements were almost "organic".

When they were in Target stores - - they needed a lot of grass fed burger, not choice cuts. They were then dumped and replaced by a new house brand because grass fed is one of the few growth areas in grocery. I assume the house brand grind is imported from SA, like the vast majority of the grass fed we eat...

Organic and Grass Fed are both an enforcement and a labeling mess. There are a few regional brands that continuing the good food fight. I don't see a general solution unless small producers get much much better at lobbying. The big corporations are backing cheap imported stuff from TBA sources.
1 x
Stocker Steve

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 am

tjmdo wrote:I bought their mothers and they were born on my place. They have not lost weight. The weaning weights were determined by tape measure as we didn't have a scale. I just got the scale set up. Had my wife on one end and my son on the other. Weighed with each on one end separately and then both together like a cow would stand. Was within 1 pound. Just weighed them. Their frame scores are nowhere near 5. Like I said we are only a year in and have lots to learn. We are trying to buy moderate sized cows and they are holding their condition scores well at 5+. Just think the calves are maturing slow.

In the process of "buying the cows" and having the calves born on the place, do you know what those cows were bred to? Are they purebreds or just simi cows that were bred commercial to "a bull"????
I raise jersey beef, used to sell some and have always eaten it myself for 30 years. I grass feed/hay in the winter, but the trick to good beef is continual gain of at least 1.5 or 2 lbs per day minimum. Serious dedication to good pasture and rotational grazing helps. The breed is very important. If these animals were on 5 acres of grass and hay, they were not being managed for weight gain, no matter the breed. It's not an easy process. I got tired of the people who wanted a beef or a half then didn't have the money when the time came, or had a dozen other excuses. Now we raise a few for friends that understand the process, and to give to a few of the landowners where we rent pasture, and for our own freezers. I don't have the patience to deal with the public anymore.
The thing is, if the weight gain is not consistent, the beef will not marble and will be tough. And honestly, bulls of some breeds will be tougher than other breeds. I am not picking on Simi's as I have never knowingly eaten one. Brown Swiss take too long to grow their frame, and then put weight on and can be very tough. Plus, once bulls get to a certain size/age, they have more on their mind than just eating so are not going to gain as well.

Good luck but I think you might need to readjust your program and change breeds, or something. Try to get in with someone who has been there/ done that and get some real hands on experience with it. It is a slow learning curve on your own.
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 am

So many things play into the efficiency of an animal. Environment, genetics are important. Each breed has it's place and purpose as part of the puzzle. Mother Nature will always win when man forces an unadapted animal/breed into a 'hostile environment'. Today,most Angus are genetically programmed for the feedlot. The high $-Beef number has been falsely misconstrued to mean 'you can have it all' as opposed to being used as a terminal indicator. I am not familiar with current Simmental EPD's but I am very familiar with the Simmental's that walked pastures in the 1980's.
Whatever breed you choose, you have to know your environmental strengths and limitations along with your financial abilities to support the animal you select.
tjmdo-your cattle are telling you something.....but you're not listening. Don't be offended with the statement. My cattle told me and I didn't listen either but a calculator got my attention. My feed bill was more than the calf sales check and the cows demand for more feed increased because of what I had selected for---growth and high milk. Don't be afraid to make changes. Don't be stubborn and think you can fool Mother Nature. Work with her and your life and your cattle will be amazing.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 am

"tjmdo-your cattle are telling you something.....but you're not listening. Don't be offended with the statement. My cattle told me and I didn't listen either but a calculator got my attention. My feed bill was more than the calf sales check and the cows demand for more feed increased because of what I had selected for---growth and high milk. Don't be afraid to make changes. Don't be stubborn and think you can fool Mother Nature. Work with her and your life and your cattle will be amazing."

Very good advice.
Choc Cow - the Simmental of the 80's are NOT the current Simmentals.
0 x

tjmdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tjmdo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm in east Texas.

0 x

tjmdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tjmdo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Pics from November. Grass fed and hay fed only with accuration protein and purina fly control minerals.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Do you worm your cattle? They look like their hair coat is a bit rough. Often an indication of parasites. That will definitely cause them to be "poor doers" and not gain weight also.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Jan - when I looked at the pictures, that was the first thought I had.
They look "pot bellied" and extremely small for 10-12 months of age.
The hair coat and pot bellied look indicates possible worm problem.
It sounds like you are trying to do good by your cattle, providing protein blocks & mineral. But, there is something lacking for them to be that small/light weight.
0 x

tjmdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tjmdo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Ivomec back in sept.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”