Going cow calf to feeders

The place to start if you are new!
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Going cow calf to feeders

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Aaron wrote:Retaining both. Spring steers are around the 700 lb mark at 12 months. They should be around 1000 lb mark by end of August.

Could go grass fed with a little extra tractor time :banana:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Aaron wrote:Spring steers are around the 700 lb mark at 12 months. They should be around 1000 lb mark by end of August.

Sounds like you are holding back on the corn and going for compensatory gain :cowboy:

In this system, are the fall born calves more profitable than the spring born calves?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:07 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Retaining both. Spring steers are around the 700 lb mark at 12 months. They should be around 1000 lb mark by end of August.

Could go grass fed with a little extra tractor time :banana:

Don't know what I would do with them. Can't market locally, market is saturated with cheap grass fed beef. Can't market through salesbarn, no market for fats so you get little better than cow price.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Spring steers are around the 700 lb mark at 12 months. They should be around 1000 lb mark by end of August.

Sounds like you are holding back on the corn and going for compensatory gain :cowboy:

In this system, are the fall born calves more profitable than the spring born calves?

Can't afford too much expensive grain. Cuts into money available for projects. Have lots of cheap oats left over from two years ago, so they are finishing them up. No point making them fleshy on corn - you either lose that on grass or you take a .30 hit at the barn. Sometimes up to .50. Feedlots don't pay for fat.

Fall calves are generally more profitable. They hit that grass hard and take off in gains.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:17 pm

I will add one thing.........I have never really lost money on my cow/calf operation. I have however lost on feeders. The adage sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you applies to them.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Postby MistyMorning » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:1) To make serious money you need to buy calves out of season, not when everyone has green grass. So now you or someone else is back grounding light calves.
2) Lighter calves need more supplement since their rumen is not developed. I have turned out 4 wts but it was ugly, 5 wts work OK, 6 wts are safer, 7 wts require too much maintenance energy.
3) Lots of literature on supplementing. Energy with an ionophore is standard. DDG avoids the starch issue you have with corn. At a minimum - - you want to bucket them daily for a couple weeks to settle them down and get past the washy grass.
4) Goggle Gordon Hazard and buy his book.

Thanks Steve I’ll get the book. And thanks all for the discussion I can tell I have a lot to learn in the near future.
1 x
I have long known it was part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth... ~ Bill Bryson

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Aaron wrote:Fall calves are generally more profitable. They hit that grass hard and take off in gains.

As stockers - - yes, calves are more profitable. But what about fall vs. spring calving cow profits? The standard line used to be that the feed cost was too high to make a fall calving profit in the north.

There are some guys here that pick them up here, but they only need a few. I aw some running age "June" calvers sell for 65 cents this week...
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Fall calves are generally more profitable. They hit that grass hard and take off in gains.

As stockers - - yes, calves are more profitable. But what about fall vs. spring calving cow profits? The standard line used to be that the feed cost was too high to make a fall calving profit in the north.

There are some guys here that pick them up here, but they only need a few. I aw some running age "June" calvers sell for 65 cents this week...

If selling calves, calf price is generally higher in spring than fall. Fall cows eat a little more than dry spring cows, but not much more. Hardest thing for me is getting all fall cows bred in a two cycle window. Definitely higher open rate than spring cows. Should probably run a 3 cycle window and that would eliminate issue, but I don't want to calve that long.

I am assuming you bought every June calver you could get your hands on?
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Aaron wrote:I am assuming you bought every June calver you could get your hands on?

I used to buy the younger ones and try to move them up into May w/ CIDRs and good pasture. Like most things - - you have to go to attend a lot of sales to buy right. Currently we have a taste of spring weather and the guys with "free grass" are fighting over anything with a calf in it.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Beginners Board”