Lost one

The place to start if you are new!
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Lost one

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:35 am

Lazy M wrote:a few years ago I found a cow that was paralyzed after calving. The calf was hip locked. She had around 30 buzzards eating both her and the calf while the poor cow was floundering on the ground. It was gruesome, and I'm glad that I didn't have either of my boys with me at the time. The buzzards had finished up on the calf and had been working on the cow when I showed up..the cow was still alive. Had to put the cow down.

Disgusting creatures!
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 am

There's a need for the buzzards, and also a place. And its also my place to in danger them if they show around my cattle.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:21 pm

The biggest problem I have with these is that you generally don't get a permit until you've lost one. Well thanks a lot!!! It also has to be well documented and you have to do a lot of paperwork.

An animal is not endangered when I see 100's of them when I drive 90 miles east. Sorry, they're not. We're also not talking about bald eagles.

I shoot coyotes all the time and they're no longer a problem but I see more and more neighbors with these things creeping around. I watch my herd carefully but it's impossible to be with them 24/7.
0 x

papavillars
Rancher
Rancher

Postby papavillars » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 pm

So far that is one problem I haven’t had. Do they range all over Texas?
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 am

Every one you lose hurts.

One old Norsk that lived here all his bachelor life liked to say, "He who has, must lose".
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:52 am

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:The biggest problem I have with these is that you generally don't get a permit until you've lost one. Well thanks a lot!!! It also has to be well documented and you have to do a lot of paperwork.

An animal is not endangered when I see 100's of them when I drive 90 miles east. Sorry, they're not. We're also not talking about bald eagles.

I shoot coyotes all the time and they're no longer a problem but I see more and more neighbors with these things creeping around. I watch my herd carefully but it's impossible to be with them 24/7.

When you catch a canine and you SSS that problem is removed.
With these Mexican vultures you make five disappear 50 more show up.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:55 am

papavillars wrote:So far that is one problem I haven’t had. Do they range all over Texas?

Yes, and spreading... We didn't have them 30 years ago..Now its a daily watch for trouble..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:58 am

True Grit Farms wrote:There's a need for the buzzards, and also a place. And its also my place to in danger them if they show around my cattle.

There is no need for this type. They love fresh meat, still alive even better. They run off the brown vultures. They swarm so even if the calf is born alive, they'll harass the cow until she tramples it. Or, they'll get one bite in and the calf gets an infection a few days later..which most people self diagnose as navel ill.. And anyone who thinks they can pick them off one at a time, you're only making them smarter....
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
papavillars wrote:So far that is one problem I haven’t had. Do they range all over Texas?

Yes, and spreading... We didn't have them 30 years ago..Now its a daily watch for trouble..

They've spread to here, in Virginia. I started seeing them around here, about 10 years ago or so. Now I see many more of them than the red head Turkey Vulture. Those black ones seem to be taking over. :mad:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:30 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:There's a need for the buzzards, and also a place. And its also my place to in danger them if they show around my cattle.

There is no need for this type. They love fresh meat, still alive even better. They run off the brown vultures. They swarm so even if the calf is born alive, they'll harass the cow until she tramples it. Or, they'll get one bite in and the calf gets an infection a few days later..which most people self diagnose as navel ill.. And anyone who thinks they can pick them off one at a time, you're only making them smarter....

I don't know how they are in Texas but studies have shown that the ones here run away from one hanging dead. All of the powerplants have special permits to kill several and you see them hanging everywhere but you don't see any coming onto that property either.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:39 am

Ky hills wrote: They need to be taken off the endangered species list for sure, maybe even put a bounty on them.

Bill. They are NOT on the endangered species list. They are protected.

Their conservation status is listed as Least Concern. That is the lowest level on the scale.
1 x
Diogenes.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:37 am

The problem is most people will just kill them without knowing which is which...so many of the browns will die just because the person cant tell the difference if they weren't protected..... Hard to believe someone cant tell the difference..but I've seen it.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Ky hills wrote: They need to be taken off the endangered species list for sure, maybe even put a bounty on them.

Bill. They are NOT on the endangered species list. They are protected.

Their conservation status is listed as Least Concern. That is the lowest level on the scale.

Thank you for the correction and clarification. I thought after I posted that it probably was not be the correct term for it. Glad to know they are at least low level concern.
Someone else just posted about it and I have thought about the angle as well, if the black buzzards are out competing and thus decreasing the numbers of turkey vultures?
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Had a new calf overnight, and when I went over to feed hay and check on the calf this morning there were probably 10 maybe more of those winged varmits sitting and flying around the area. They seemed to scatter when I came close, though it does have me worried. It's almost like they know there is calving activity and their presence has increased the longer it goes.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Ky hills wrote: Glad to know they are at the lowest level of concern.
Someone else just posted about it and I have thought about the angle as well, if the black buzzards are out competing and thus decreasing the numbers of turkey vultures?

Black vultures are expanding their range and increasing in numbers. Survival of the fittest. They are stealing the niche occupied by the turkey vulture. It is obvious to even a casual observer, there are fewer turkey vultures and more black vultures. The turkey vulture is a desirable species in respect to keeping the environment clear of carrion and not attacking livestock.
2 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Beginners Board”