Mature Cow Size Effect On Finished Carcasses

The place to start if you are new!
mwj
GURU
GURU

Re: Mature Cow Size Effect On Finished Carcasses

Postby mwj » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 pm

when you think of 300lbs it sounds impressive. Run 100 head of cows over a scale and split the groups by weight, and it would not be much. When folks sell culls, there are a whole lot of those ''1100# cows'' that are a couple hundred more than what they guessed.
0 x
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:44 pm

300 lbs is 27.27% of 1100# cows body weight.
extra 300 lbs on 100 cows = 30,000 lbs x 50 cents lb = $15,000

I ASSUME... NDSU used a scale to weigh the cows for the study and did not just eyeball them.
But then again maybe I'm Reading Too Much Between The Lines. :)
1 x

Midtenn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Midtenn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:43 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Also, some research I've read brings in the cull cow income.
You also have to remember, if the results are "sorta equal", in this case, you are handling, calving, doctoring, vaccinating 8 cows more - more labor.
I really don't care if the cow is 1400# or 1600#, just so she has the right phenotype, easy fleshing, right personality (not nuts), and does a great job raising a calf.
Edit: Butch, good post.

Excellent point. And don't forget the fixed costs involved per head. Preg check, ear tag, fly tag, breeding cost, vaccines, yardage at the sale barn, vaccines for calves. Those costs remain the same regardless of cow size. If the 200-300 pound difference is anywhere close to right ( I don't know ) but assuming it is , then it seems to me bigger and less cows are more efficient. Yes they eat more and it takes more wormer, but the other "fixed costs per head" need to be considered.
You also have to consider, and some may disagree with this, I believe you will have more issues with bigger cows such as soundness and breed back.
0 x

mwj
GURU
GURU

Postby mwj » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Whenever this topic comes up it is usually presented as an ''easy fix''. I would wager that most producers do not regularly weigh there cows and could not make an educated guess to the amount of forage produced per acre. If you do not have these figures all you can do is ''guess'' and hope you are correct. Maybe we should wean at 400# which would yield a high price per pound for the calf. Then you could cut back the feed to the cows and keep your costs much lower.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:09 pm

I would say the study points to: there is nothing to fix if your mature cow size is between 1,000 - 1,500 Lbs.
Raise what you prefer: "To thine own self be true."
3 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Environment- management - goals.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

mwj
GURU
GURU

Postby mwj » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:42 pm

That sums it up for me. There is no magic ''fix'', unless you have total control over the environment they are raised in. If it is working for you it would be foolish to change because of someone else s experience. Most of us would be better off to maximize our forage if we want a better return. You can change a forage program in a couple of years, but changing your livestock genetics will take a bit longer.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”