Older cows

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Older cows

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 am

Buying older cows keeping them and putting weight back on them what’s older cows bringing at the sale barn open or bred or as a pair or selling the calf and cow separate interested knowing this information. I have have 3 older ones at the one 6 and two 8 yr olds nice looking cows the 6 yr old is 6 months bred and the and one 8 yr old has a calve at her side and the other 8 yr old is open.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Older cows

Postby callmefence » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 am

About 50 percent of my cattle are cows I bought out of the kill pen. And it will continue to be that way.
1. I want a skinny cow
2. I want a good excuse for her being skinny.
3. I want good quality tall grass.

Before I turn out I mouth and worm and brand.
Anything with a really weak mouth goes right back to town. I run a bull with them but you will be surprised how many will be bred.
If they calve raise the calves as long as possible but be prepared to wean early.

Don't let the cows loose condition. Your gonna sell them to.

Don't sell old pairs. You'll almost always do better splitting them.
Don't feed the cows. At 50 to 75 cents it ain't worth it. You run outta grass they go.

You can feed out calves of course. :2cents:
5 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:58 am

callmefence wrote:About 50 percent of my cattle are cows I bought out of the kill pen. And it will continue to be that way.
1. I want a skinny cow

Anything with a really weak mouth goes right back to town. I run a bull with them but you will be surprised how many will be bred.
If they calve raise the calves as long as possible but be prepared to wean early.

Don't feed the cows. At 50 to 75 cents it ain't worth it. You run outta grass they go.

0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:01 pm

callmefence wrote:About 50 percent of my cattle are cows I bought out of the kill pen. And it will continue to be that way.
1. I want a skinny cow

Yeah there turned out on pasture now all the grass they want. Thinking around late May early June maybe i could sell them ...
Got them 3 plus a calve at said for 2500 so I just want to get a some type of profit these being my first cows
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Buying older cows keeping them and putting weight back on them what’s older cows bringing at the sale barn open or bred or as a pair or selling the calf and cow separate interested knowing this information. I have have 3 older ones at the one 6 and two 8 yr olds nice looking cows the 6 yr old is 6 months bred and the and one 8 yr old has a calve at her side and the other 8 yr old is open.

Cutter kill cows were bringing.68 last week.
1 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:22 am

Got 55 cents and 65 cents Saturday.
1 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 am

I lease a good size farm last fall and haven't had anything on it until now. I have been buying all the old black/black baldie heavy bred cows I can find for $550-$650. Will sell the calves early fall and leave the cows on grass to sell late fall after they rebound from weaning. Don't see how I could lose. With my luck anythings possible :lol: If all goes well I plan to repeat next spring, so I wont be out for hay.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:I lease a good size farm last fall and haven't had anything on it until now. I have been buying all the old black/black baldie heavy bred cows I can find for $550-$650. Will sell the calves early fall and leave the cows on grass to sell late fall after they rebound from weaning. Don't see how I could lose. With my luck anythings possible :lol: If all goes well I plan to repeat next spring, so I wont be out for hay.

I have done just that a number of times over the years. It always worked for me. You just need to avoid any really old cows.

I have also bought thin empty cows in March. We would go to grass about April 10. Nothing gains on grass like a thin healthy mature cow. Mid June is the top of our kill cow market, so I would ship them then. A 1,000 pound cow that cost $.50 turns into a 1,200 pound cow worth $.65. Heavier cows being worth more money you not only gain the weight but the value of the pounds you originally bought. They also help by utilizing the abundance of grass in the spring.
3 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Like the central air conditioning in that house, just like mine....centrally located in the window... :cowboy:
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Goose37
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Goose37 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Never considered this market. Pretty impressive insight
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:19 am

I bought a group of pairs from a retiring neighbor last year, a couple 4 YO's and the rest 6-8. 1400 for the young ones, and 800 for the aged. Yesterday started calving this group, the first one was an 8 YO baldie cow, nice spry heifer. IMO, the old girls are here to stay until they give me a reason not to, and I won't be afraid to go this route again. The older gals in good shape are easier to make money on than the young ones.
Worse comes to worse do like Brangusman, flip them and start over. Many times you can buy an older cow pair for the price of the weaned calf. Even at low kill price, the cow is worth 50% of your upfront cost.
2 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:I lease a good size farm last fall and haven't had anything on it until now. I have been buying all the old black/black baldie heavy bred cows I can find for $550-$650. Will sell the calves early fall and leave the cows on grass to sell late fall after they rebound from weaning. Don't see how I could lose. With my luck anythings possible :lol: If all goes well I plan to repeat next spring, so I wont be out for hay.

What age you think they are and are they from sale barn ?
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:14 pm

BFE wrote:I bought a group of pairs from a retiring neighbor last year, a couple 4 YO's and the rest 6-8. 1400 for the young ones, and 800 for the aged. Yesterday started calving this group, the first one was an 8 YO baldie cow, nice spry heifer. IMO, the old girls are here to stay until they give me a reason not to, and I won't be afraid to go this route again. The older gals in good shape are easier to make money on than the young ones.
Worse comes to worse do like Brangusman, flip them and start over. Many times you can buy an older cow pair for the price of the weaned calf. Even at low kill price, the cow is worth 50% of your upfront cost.
yeah since I’m new to cattling I’m thinking about doing this I plan getting the open two bred and selling in June and the bred one should calf by June and I’ll probably sell as a pair
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 am

Bfields30 wrote:

I would say they are all 10 plus, yes they all come from the sale barn.
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:

I would say they are all 10 plus, yes they all come from the sale barn.

I plan on going this weekend to check some more out .
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”