H braces

The place to start if you are new!
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: H braces

Postby greybeard » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Rafter S wrote:I've mostly used barbed wire. It sure makes you feel sick to your stomach when you carefully make two big loops of the barbed wire, staple them loosely in place, and make one too many turns tightening it and one strand goes "Ping". Nothing to do but take it all loose and start over.

I've recently gained access to some surplus 1/4" and 3/8" cable. That stuff doesn't break.

No, it don't. But watch when twisting..it can be a wrist breaker or get loose and put a good bump on your noggin.

I've tried with the wire strainers..never was able to get them tight enough to suit me.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Always used barbedwire, but I like the cable idea, have a bunch of it.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 pm

jkwilson wrote:Probably easier to use some plain #9 wire for twisted braces. Seems like the barb always wants to pop and give over time as the barbs get bent or slide in my experience. But I may just not know what I'm doing.

Must be a regional thing. #9 is all I've ever seen used, other than solid welded pipe braces.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:15 pm

I Didn't see this until now.

One thing to consider might be the breaking strength of barb wire vs high tensile smooth wire.

Barb wire might work, but I could see it being difficult to get tight and who knows the long term integrity. If your using low carbon class 1 barb, its lifespan will be significantly shorter than class 3 HT smooth wire. Brace wire is an important part of a fence, you want something that will last as long as possible.

In my opinion, the only proper way to build a brace is with 200ksi+ 12.5g high tensile smooth wire. Lower ksi wire can work but may break if over tensioned. With the smooth wire, make 2 figure 8 wraps and tension with a ratchet or chain strainer. The ratchet can give the ability to easily go back and tighten up the brace wire if needed. High tensile wire should never be twisted with a twist stick.
1 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:45 pm

I don't care much for a H brace with no solid dead man. But a lease is a lease.
This one is around 10- 12 years old.

The clothes pins are a trade secret. Don't ask.

0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ccr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ccr » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:33 pm

callmefence wrote:I don't care much for a H brace with no solid dead man. But a lease is a lease.
This one is around 10- 12 years old.

The clothes pins are a trade secret. Don't ask.

Ah come on, tell us what the clothes pins are for.
0 x
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

Return to “Beginners Board”