Another horiffic day in NC!

The place to start if you are new!
Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Another horiffic day in NC!

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:11 am

Welp, I was only calving 4 heifers this spring...as I seem to favor fall calving more. Anyway, I have a great heifer that was about to calve Friday. She looked close, but sometimes you can never tell. I get over to the farm early Saturday am and she has calved...except the calf is absolutely covered in black vultures! I sprinted over to the cow and calf...the calf was dead...and the cow hysterical. This really sucks. I am small and every one of these instances is killing me! One thing is the financial side of it...but it is pretty tough to see a newborn calf in that condition. These be nice birds have got to go! This is the second one in 2 yrs I have lost. That is a lot considering I only have 20 in my herd.

Any thoughts on what to do? I can shoot the birds...but there seem to be hundreds around. There are always a few in the sky...and I mean always. They are everywhere! I can't be with the animals 24/7...I have an off farm job. This is a "hobby" for me...but let me tell ya...its kicking my be nice. Saturday I was ready to hang it up. Very emotional! Today I am ready to move forward...but I need any advice from folks that have been dealing with these birds. Does anything work??? Maybe I should get a livestock guard dog?

Thanks all,

Tim
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Another horiffic day in NC!

Postby TCRanch » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:17 am

I'm so sorry, that would have been a horrific experience! Fortunately we don't have black vultures here so I can't offer any suggestions but there have been some recent threads about them.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:26 am

Bad deal I hate those things, sorry for your luck. If you want to put a dent in the population using poison or a trap is the only way to accomplish that. Goat panels wired together with a couple of holes 1' holes on each end will work. Baiting the trap with a couple of deer carcasses might also work. You can also buy poison for controlling pigeons and crows and just grind it up and spread the poison on the carcass of your choice.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OleScout » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:33 am

Vultures killed another one for me last Friday.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:56 am

Had vultures all over one the other day. Don't know if it was born dead but didn't look like it. Gonna try to get one or two and hang them around. These are mature cows in this group but most have gone into the cedars to have them. Still it is getting pretty bad. They were using some deer carcasses to trap them just outside of town last year. Couple of fence panels made into a cage type thing with the vultures "walking in" and then they couldn't get out fast enough as they were too gorged on the carcasses. It was like 2 panels wide 2 panels long so like a long low cage with a small opening on one end they had to go in. Too low to fly up at all. HATE THEM.....
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:58 am

Breed a little ear or some horn into your replacements. Mothering up is just as important a trait as calving ease and milking good, IMHO.
2 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 am

Hate that. They are increasing here, too. A constant threat. Dead deer on the side of several roads near and they pester cows and sheep. There needs to be no protection for them. They are predators.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:32 am

I’m glad they don’t seem to be a problem here in Michigan, but I’d be killing those SOBs if I were you and every chance possible!
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:46 am

farmerjan wrote:Had vultures all over one the other day. Don't know if it was born dead but didn't look like it. Gonna try to get one or two and hang them around. These are mature cows in this group but most have gone into the cedars to have them. Still it is getting pretty bad. They were using some deer carcasses to trap them just outside of town last year. Couple of fence panels made into a cage type thing with the vultures "walking in" and then they couldn't get out fast enough as they were too gorged on the carcasses. It was like 2 panels wide 2 panels long so like a long low cage with a small opening on one end they had to go in. Too low to fly up at all. HATE THEM.....

I have heard hanging them around works...does anyone have any direct experience with this?

Thanks!

Tim
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:
farmerjan wrote:Had vultures all over one the other day. Don't know if it was born dead but didn't look like it. Gonna try to get one or two and hang them around. These are mature cows in this group but most have gone into the cedars to have them. Still it is getting pretty bad. They were using some deer carcasses to trap them just outside of town last year. Couple of fence panels made into a cage type thing with the vultures "walking in" and then they couldn't get out fast enough as they were too gorged on the carcasses. It was like 2 panels wide 2 panels long so like a long low cage with a small opening on one end they had to go in. Too low to fly up at all. HATE THEM.....

I have heard hanging them around works...does anyone have any direct experience with this?

Thanks!

Tim

It does. I have never done it because I do not have a problem with it but I know of companies that have permits that do it for their power plants, etc., as they nest on the towers.

You can apply for a special permit now that you've lost one. Take pictures of the birds and dead cow. It will help you get a permit. Shoot a couple. Hang them on an easy to see area. Most people hang them on a powerline if you have one. It will keep them away.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:

Thanks!

Tim

Tim the only real solution is lead applications under constant extreme prejudice. Traps are fairly effective.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 am

As far as getting a dog, the Pyrenees that we had, she was great at chasing them out of the pastures, but she died a few months ago. It takes time for the dog to be raised & trained, but it certainly helps.

I cannot be with my animals 24/7. I have a few small groves of cedars & pines, that I have left alone for them for shelter. Most of mine have "learned" to calve in those sheltered areas. A few months ago one calved in the open but by the time those ba$tard$ showed up, the calf was up and she took him into the trees.

All I can advise, is vigilance. Harass them at any & every opportunity, SSS, traps, any & everything you can think of as often as possible.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

mwj
GURU
GURU

Postby mwj » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:05 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:I’m glad they don’t seem to be a problem here in Michigan, but I’d be killing those SOBs if I were you and every chance possible!

They are becoming a problem in parts of southern Illinois so they are headed your way!
0 x
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

sassafras manor
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sassafras manor » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm

mwj.....what part of southern Illinois are you seeing them in? I am in Fayette County near Vandalia and fortunately I have only seen turkey vultures around here. Thanks
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Its the smaller black ones they are more aggressive, than the old mom and pop turkey..had one swoop down and try to grab my old barn cat..right before she ran under the bush hog...think they are from Mexico..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Return to “Beginners Board”