What is acceptable bull behavior?

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

What is acceptable bull behavior?

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:42 am

My current bull (and only one) has been a good boy overall but he is being sold next week and I'll be in the market for another one before this fall. Hopefully I'll find another with good behavior. But for the guy that's willing to tolerate some crap from his bull in order to get his other genetic benefits, what is acceptable behavior before looking elsewhere?
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: What is acceptable bull behavior?

Postby BRYANT » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:55 am

If they are mean or pushy they get a lesson on what a Hotshot is and that will fix that problem most of the time. If he is a fence breaker that likes to go girl chasing a trip to the sale barn solves that problem. other than that i can make about anything else work
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:59 am

I've never used a Hotshot. Where do you hit them with it? Rump?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:24 am

Breeding cows (very acceptable behavior) bellowing, digging, pawing, broadside display, annoying but acceptable.
Wrecking equipment or direct aggression unacceptable.
Broadside display behavior (see how big I am) precedes direct aggression, so when that is shown Beware.
Often it can be a bluff, just telling you to back off... I always do. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

You always need to keep an eye on any bull to see if anything is getting him agitated and on your surroundings.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:31 am

How about running across the pasture to you so he can head shake at you while you’re on the other side of the fence? Ive seen this behavior in a neighbors bull.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:42 am

Depends on the fence and what I read his head shake to mean.... Stay out of my territory?
Or ..... I'd get you if I only could.
Cattle will behave differently with strangers than with someone they see frequently.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:46 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:How about running across the pasture to you so he can head shake at you while you’re on the other side of the fence? Ive seen this behavior in a neighbors bull.

I had a bull that started doing that crap, and in addition to the head shaking would blow snot, paw, crow-hop at me (and anyone else) while bumping up against the fence (woven wire w/barbed & board on top) and had the meanest stink-eye. He went for a ride a week and a half later, while we were still able to handle him. (I'd had him for about 5 years)
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:58 am

You can tell a lot on how he eyes you and his body language whether it's defensive posturing or evil aggressive intent.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm not a fan of using a hot shot - especially on an aggressive bull, which just seems to compound the problem (they may be stupid but they remember who inflicted the pain). I have no use for any bull snorting or shaking his head at me. EPD's are just a number/handy tool but not a guarantee and why would you put up with any crap because a bull looks good on paper? If at all possible, check out the bull in his current surroundings, prior to the sale. See how he handles himself around the other bulls - and especially when you approach him. If you buy him, spend time with him at your place/his new home so he becomes accustomed to you and establish a hierarchy immediately.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Any sign of real aggression is a no-go... I don't like pawing, that's what I usually consider a real sign... a lot of my bulls will huff and puff and posture, hang their tongue out and grunt... never found that to be a problem.. but whatever you're uncomfortable with, they will pick up on that and use it to their advantage if they can.

big baby, but temper tantrums are not allowed
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:36 pm

They are like cowboys, stir them up and you have a fight on your hands. Add females and they get worse!
2 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:56 pm

I wouldn't use a hotshot on a bull, unless he's making his last trip up the chute..and I need too..no way to handle a aggressive bull,, or cow for that matter.. I like to be able too move through my cattle.. And not be carrying..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:58 am

Some people wont use a hotshot for anything, that's just the way it is . The subject has been debated before on here, so no real need to do it again, pull up the old thread and read them. I said ''MEAN OR PUSHY'' and I don't think we are all talking about the same thing. I don't want no bull or cow trying to push me around or acting mean toward me and yes a touch on the nose with a hotshot will learn them real fast to keep at least that far away from you. The bad boy fighters like some of you are talking about is not want I was referring to. Them kind of bulls, and I have probably messed with more than a lot of people working on a kill floor that killed bulls, the best thing to do with a fighter bull or cow is send them to a slaughter house. As for animals remembering and waiting to get even, well I don't think they do, if you think they do that's fine I don't. If they remember and get even like some think then I would never want to walk into a pasture that had a bunch of knife cut steers in it cause you aint coming out alive. or a pasture that they have been branded or dehorned, if they remember a touch of a hotshot that much to try to get back at you what will they try for some of this other stuff we do to them.
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 am

Good post Bryant.

People have to learn the difference between straight up aggression or bulls being bulls. Watch how cows communicate. It's a lot of bumping and pushing and physical contact. It's best to establish boundaries with your cattle. They need thy to stay X distance away at all times. That will help with the vast majority of problems.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:57 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I wouldn't use a hotshot on a bull, unless he's making his last trip up the chute..and I need too..no way to handle a aggressive bull,, or cow for that matter.. I like to be able too move through my cattle.. And not be carrying..

I've used one on a bull that would just stand in the chute and didn't want to step up in the trailer. It only took a little bump to convince him, and after doing that once or twice he'll walk right up in the chute now without any encouragement.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Beginners Board”