What is acceptable bull behavior?

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: What is acceptable bull behavior?

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:51 pm

My guy is going for a ride to his new home tomorrow. It's been a couple years since he's been in a trailer so I'm hoping a little grain will be all that's needed to get him loaded. I'm planning on switching to fall calving so I've got time to find the right replacement.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Got one behind the seat in my truck... Not afraid to use it at all,in the right situations...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 am

Well I got my guy loaded this morning. With one guy pulling on the nose ring and one guy behind with the pitchfork he decided he better jump in the trailer. Now to find the next one.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Well I got my guy loaded this morning. With one guy pulling on the nose ring and one guy behind with the pitchfork he decided he better jump in the trailer. Now to find the next one.

Congrats & good luck!
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:26 pm

I know there are a lot of people that are anti-hot shot but what you don't realize is you can be doing more damage to the animal by not using it than using it.
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:42 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Well I got my guy loaded this morning. With one guy pulling on the nose ring and one guy behind with the pitchfork he decided he better jump in the trailer. Now to find the next one.

I don't want to start a outright fight on here BUT a little touch with a hotshot would l be a lot more effective than a pitchfork, would do a lot less damage, not near as app to get who ever is behind them with the pitch fork hurt. would not need someone in a trailer or in front of a bull pulling on a nose ring. I guess what ever works for you works but I am not fixing to trade my hotshot in for a pitch fork, and if a pitchfork is all I had when I sold the bull I would go buy a hot shot.
2 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:02 pm

BRYANT wrote:

I don't want to start a outright fight on here BUT a little touch with a hotshot would l be a lot more effective than a pitchfork, would do a lot less damage, not near as app to get who ever is behind them with the pitch fork hurt. would not need someone in a trailer or in front of a bull pulling on a nose ring. I guess what ever works for you works but I am not fixing to trade my hotshot in for a pitch fork, and if a pitchfork is all I had when I sold the bull I would go buy a hot shot.

Exactly. That was far more dangerous to the animal and people involved than a hot shot. :nod:
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Sounds worse than what it was. Basically we were keeping pressure on the nose and the butt - not excessive, waiting for him to make the decision to move forward. It’s what I had to work with at the time.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 pm

So how do you convince an animal to get in a trailer that doesn’t want to? He was in a 12x12 pen with the trailer backed right up flush to it. How would you use a prod in this scenario?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:51 pm

I mean this for your safety and for the animals' also... not as a way of putting you down... you do not need to buy another bull or cow until you get some facilities. You should not be operating like that. It doesn't have to be fancy but buy a couple panels or set some posts and make a chute.
1 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:52 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:So how do you convince an animal to get in a trailer that doesn’t want to? He was in a 12x12 pen with the trailer backed right up flush to it. How would you use a prod in this scenario?

I agree with Brute 23 , and I am also not trying to put you down, but you need the right facilities if you are going to have cattle. My facilities all works off of crowding gates and allies where I load I have gates to push/load with and if that does not work a little elec. will make them go. I have worked a lot of cattle in my life and a Hotshot can be one of the best tools you have IF you use it right OR it can be the worst tool when not used right. NEVER - NEVER - NEVER should some one take a Hotshot and burn a cow up with it and you want to see me get mad and tell someone what I think just let me see someone do it. a 12 X12 that a good start now just add a little as you have time and money to invest my next add would be a loading out spot. I did not build all of mine at once just a little here and a little there ,and am going to do some more before long, but I do have one place where I load/unload that I have added to and reworked till I have it now where there is not a Brahman mean enough or wild enough that I don't think I could hold them but even there I still have some things I would like to do to it ,just takes time and money neither one of which I have enough of.
good luck , hope you find the bull you need
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks for the input, just to clarify I used a 8' lead rope on the nose ring, was not holding onto it by hand. And that guy was applying pressure while standing outside the front man door of the trailer. I asked nicely and give him ample time to climb in by himself, with grain as a little treat. It wasn't enough so I helped him from behind. Not sure how this is any less humane or dangerous than using a hotshot. I also have a chute and other facilities so no problem there either. This 12x12 was built as my catch and load out area. How would you improve this to make loading easier?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Thanks for the input, just to clarify I used a 8' lead rope on the nose ring, was not holding onto it by hand. And that guy was applying pressure while standing outside the front man door of the trailer. I asked nicely and give him ample time to climb in by himself, with grain as a little treat. It wasn't enough so I helped him from behind. Not sure how this is any less humane or dangerous than using a hotshot. I also have a chute and other facilities so no problem there either. This 12x12 was built as my catch and load out area. How would you improve this to make loading easier?

A simple gate added to your pen used to pinch an animal from the rear where they can see stepping forward will offer more space . Your load out gate should only be 4'wide with gate hinged on the inside post
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:31 am

Our main criteria as been you have to feel safe around a bull enough that you don't have to worry about turning your back on him. Granted we're a little spoiled with the dispositions of Herefords but we bought a bull once that we shipped off after just 3 years because we didn't like his temperament plus he turned out to have heavier birth weights than we cared for so those 2 combined were enough to not hesitate sending him off. He wasn't mean but I sure wouldn't take my eye off him because he would start to show off and try to butt you with his head if you weren't careful. Sometimes you can deal with a bull that maybe does something annoying like rub on things and flip over hay rings or bunks when he bored as long as he's not aggressive towards humans to make it unsafe to be around him. We had 1 bull may years back that as soon as they ate down a round bale he'd flip the hay ring and push or roll it all over the lot till you put a new bale out. Would try to put the heaviest hay ring we had in the lot he was in. A local commercial guy bought him off us when we were done using him and he told us he was doing the same thing over the winter in his bull lot but he didn't mind it because otherwise he was the most mild mannered bull he owned and the only one that stayed in the lot when the other bulls broke out one day!

We put a nose ring in every bull we use on the farm just so if we ever have to get him cornered up or in a chute for something we have a way to get some control over him if he won't cooperate. Everyone probably has a certain level of tolerance with a bull's behavior and as long as he's siring good calves and his behavior is enough to tolerate then there isn't a problem though his disposition could be passed down to the cattle he sires too is something to keep in mind.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:44 pm

SPH wrote:Our main criteria as been you have to feel safe around a bull enough that you don't have to worry about turning your back on him. Granted we're a little spoiled with the dispositions of Herefords but we bought a bull once that we shipped off after just 3 years because we didn't like his temperament plus he turned out to have heavier birth weights than we cared for so those 2 combined were enough to not hesitate sending him off. He wasn't mean but I sure wouldn't take my eye off him because he would start to show off and try to butt you with his head if you weren't careful. Sometimes you can deal with a bull that maybe does something annoying like rub on things and flip over hay rings or bunks when he bored as long as he's not aggressive towards humans to make it unsafe to be around him. We had 1 bull may years back that as soon as they ate down a round bale he'd flip the hay ring and push or roll it all over the lot till you put a new bale out. Would try to put the heaviest hay ring we had in the lot he was in. A local commercial guy bought him off us when we were done using him and he told us he was doing the same thing over the winter in his bull lot but he didn't mind it because otherwise he was the most mild mannered bull he owned and the only one that stayed in the lot when the other bulls broke out one day!

We put a nose ring in every bull we use on the farm just so if we ever have to get him cornered up or in a chute for something we have a way to get some control over him if he won't cooperate. Everyone probably has a certain level of tolerance with a bull's behavior and as long as he's siring good calves and his behavior is enough to tolerate then there isn't a problem though his disposition could be passed down to the cattle he sires too is something to keep in mind.

There is no such animal. Your only fooling yourself.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”