So it's still not spring

The place to start if you are new!
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: So it's still not spring

Postby Nesikep » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:39 pm

We got just shy of 80F right now, firing up the irrigation, though it's supposed to cool off again this weekend
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Word is that some farmers are seeding around Brandon, Manitoba.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Corn going in the ground at Armstrong BC this week.

Would still need powder to put in a furrow at home.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Snow still leaving the fields here, but leaving fast. Mostly bare with more to come from in the trees. Song birds out in full force, 24 degrees here today, pretty warm for my constitution but I'm not going to complain.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:17 am

Fields are about 20-30% snow cover here with some deep drifts still in places, the woods is still probably 80% snow cover. Been in the 20s every night so the frost is slow to leave the ground, in the shade only the top 6 inches or so it thawed out. Soil temp is still in the 30s and with frost still present the top is saturated. Probably 3 or 4 weeks before we get any field work done UP here.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:13 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Fields are about 20-30% snow cover here with some deep drifts still in places, the woods is still probably 80% snow cover. Been in the 20s every night so the frost is slow to leave the ground, in the shade only the top 6 inches or so it thawed out. Soil temp is still in the 30s and with frost still present the top is saturated. Probably 3 or 4 weeks before we get any field work done UP here.

We're finally thawing out. Hopefully you will be soon too. Then again, the forecast is for rain turning to SNOW tomorrow. (head pounding wall emoji)
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Silver wrote:Snow still leaving the fields here, but leaving fast. Mostly bare with more to come from in the trees. Song birds out in full force, 24 degrees here today, pretty warm for my constitution but I'm not going to complain.

That's celsius, right?
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:48 am

18 degrees F this morning. Ground is froze UP good and solid. Neighbor was heading north a few miles and going snowmobiling today....

I'm not really complaining as this is pretty typical for us. When you have a winter with 280 some inches of snowfall and are 1/4 mile from a body of water with a 34 degree temp and ice cubes the size of small cities floating around ,spring is typically late to arrive and takes a good while to thaw everything out.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Silver wrote:Snow still leaving the fields here, but leaving fast. Mostly bare with more to come from in the trees. Song birds out in full force, 24 degrees here today, pretty warm for my constitution but I'm not going to complain.

That's celsius, right?

That's right. Getting a nice green tinge to things here now. Frost must have went out of the fields today, the water all fell out of the low spots.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:57 pm

Got snow today and now very windy w/ cold rain, supposedly turning to snow overnight. Gonna swing from 30 to 80 between Tues and Wed. Had a calf born Fri we are watching closely. She's def cold and not sure how much she's nursing. May need to get her in barn tomorrow. Have 2 more due, hope they wait a couple days.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:52 am

Aaron wrote:Snow is gone minus a few remaining glaciers hidden in the shade of trees. First areas that opened up now have grass growing. Some places I have a good inch to inch 1/2 of new growth. Every day for past 2 weeks has been 50F and above. Some guys already fertilizing. Others going to hit fields next week.

Ya, but when will the ice come off the big lake?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:41 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Snow is gone minus a few remaining glaciers hidden in the shade of trees. First areas that opened up now have grass growing. Some places I have a good inch to inch 1/2 of new growth. Every day for past 2 weeks has been 50F and above. Some guys already fertilizing. Others going to hit fields next week.

Ya, but when will the ice come off the big lake?

Next week or so. Ice is very rotten and ready to go.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ccr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ccr » Sat May 05, 2018 3:46 pm

weeds been sprayed,
fertilizer is laid.
rains we've seen,
and grass is green.
no more feeding hay,
and the cattle are happy they say.

krc
0 x
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:09 am

growing some here, got some much needed rain the other day.. didn't get a lot but i'll take anything.

found some hay to buy so i'm set for another 20 days of feeding.. hopefully by june they can be on grass. . WHAT?? JUNE?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 am

ddd75 wrote:growing some here, got some much needed rain the other day.. didn't get a lot but i'll take anything.

found some hay to buy so i'm set for another 20 days of feeding.. hopefully by june they can be on grass. . WHAT?? JUNE?

We got probably 2 inches of gentle rains yesterday. Grass is taking off. I think the worse is over.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”