using cow $hit as compost

The place to start if you are new!
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: using cow $hit as compost

Postby Nesikep » Fri May 11, 2018 4:12 pm

greybeard wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Darn "heart" still won't work - errr.
Thanks!

Jeanne:
1. Click the heart.
2. It will most likely bring up a page that says something like this:
{"toggle_action":"add","toggle_post":"1504610"}
3. Hit the 'back' button. It will return you right back to the page/post where you were wanting to do the 'heart' thing.
4. Now, hit 'refresh'. That will make your heart entry show up as soon as the page re-loads.

Step 4 is optional, just to see if it worked.. the heart action has been taken, just doesn't show
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 11, 2018 4:26 pm

You are RIGHT. I left & came back. It worked. Thanks.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat May 12, 2018 11:11 am

Cow manure is good stuff but the key is to let it compost and go through a heat. If you'll do that and not use green noncomposted manure you shouldn't have any problems with anything including weed seeds. Here is some I've been composting for a project I have in mind. It has cooked down pretty well and ready for use but I'm not ready to do the project just yet so I'll keep adding and stirring till I'm ready.

1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:51 am

Double R Ranch wrote:Every year we scrape our corral and feeding areas when the ground starts to dry out. Push into a pile and turn every few weeks to compost it. Put it in the garden every year. Works great!

Every spring I scrape up the areas where I fed hay and make one large pile. I turn it about once a month and when fall comes around I have a lady that comes out and I'll load her pickup bed with it. She unloads in her garden and loves the stuff.
3 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Sat May 12, 2018 10:25 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Double R Ranch wrote:Every year we scrape our corral and feeding areas when the ground starts to dry out. Push into a pile and turn every few weeks to compost it. Put it in the garden every year. Works great!

Every spring I scrape up the areas where I fed hay and make one large pile. I turn it about once a month and when fall comes around I have a lady that comes out and I'll load her pickup bed with it. She unloads in her garden and loves the stuff.

We pile our winter feeding areas up too and let it compost down a couple years and it also makes for a high place where the cows and calves can get out of the mud the following year too. I live in town and when we moved to our current house that had a lot of clay in the soil I hauled in a couple pickup loads of some that had composted down at least 2 or 3 years to make a garden and the neighbors have taken notice how much better my plants grow than anyone else's does. Almost wonder if we could sell it by the pickup bed full or loader bucket. Did a quick craigslist search and there are a few ads ranging from $15-25 either by the ton or pickup load. Has me wondering if it's worth a shot to post an ad next spring, even if you only got 4 people to come out that's still an easy $100.

The 1 main lot we feed hay to cows in the winter shares a fence line with the neighbor's corn field. We tell them every year just open the gate to our lot and help yourself to some free manure because it's as close of a haul as they will get for that field plus helps us clean it out. They are hit or miss on taking us up on the offer, probably won't happen this year with the late spring we had and everyone is scrambling to get their fields planted right now.
0 x

rjbovine
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rjbovine » Mon May 14, 2018 4:41 am

I have a few that has use the compost . I've told them that the pasture chemical used on the hay ground would care over in the manure . They have stopped using it . My question ; does the composting process get rid of the chemical residue ? I'm thinking 1 year old stuff . Manure/hay pushed up from around hay ring . thanks rj
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”