Grass height for grazing

The place to start if you are new!
snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Grass height for grazing

Postby snoopdog » Sun May 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Snoopdog - you are waaayyyy ahead of us. Wow, that's a lot of grass.

Jeanne , I assure you the pasture doesn't look like that , it's just now taking off. I think though that we will come out ahead on this patch by letting the calves have it, lots of clover and winter wheat that is gonna be too mature by the time the next cutting window comes around , but nutritious right now , and we just didn't have any other choice . I had planned to cut it and leave a good crown, and then turn them in, but we have to adapt , sometimes on the fly.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Fri May 25, 2018 3:53 am

Kenny Thomas - Y'all had any weather for haying yet? Saw a few cut thin stuff on Wednesday here. Other than that everyone is chomping at the bit, myself included.

I've learned something already...
I let them on it at the right time i'm pretty sure. Then thought too much, and gave the grasses a bit much of a head start. Turned into a bunch of stems real fast. Topped that off, now we're in business. Really didn't like how the cattle looked before i mowed. Looks to be a ton of clover and some warm seasons coming in where i've mowed the grasses down. Glad i went ahead and clipped it. Had some weeds popping up too, and I'm scared to spray for a while. Burnt the good stuff up last year...

Gave them a go on about an acre with a lot of Johnson grass day before yesterday. They have killed it. Wish i had more i could pasture.

Middle of this week i will get them started where I mowed. I am "thinking" the way I have it cut up they will need to be moved every 2 to 4 days depending on the spot. Should work out real good. Fingers crossed.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 25, 2018 5:23 am

It is always a fine line "WHEN" to start. But, I have found, I am never too early. Just keep moving them in the beginning, even if you have to move them morning & night (12 hours) the first couple of days. But, you did good. Mow if it gets ahead of you. It's a challenge, but very rewarding.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:52 am

i cut 20 acres yeterday but then they changed the forecast for saturday to 80%. so we'll see about that. Looks like possibly sunday I can cut a bunch more.

Most of it was as tall as my hood on my 5065
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri May 25, 2018 6:12 am

With the tropical storm coming I was afraid to cut. We had rain Wednesday and giving showers later today.
Rotate them every day if you need to. The grass will get ahead of them soon. Mine went from feeding hay to getting way ahead it seemed in a week.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ZachinCO » Fri May 25, 2018 9:52 am

My grass pastures are about 3-5 inches long, could really use more rain here in CO!

Folks who irrigate might have grass knee high.
0 x

toprowguy
Beginner
Beginner

Postby toprowguy » Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 am

I guess they were ready to move to the new pasture. The gate was opened to pull a trailer out and they escaped into the new pasture before the gate closed. The plan was to turn them loose on the pasture this weekend anyway.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sun May 27, 2018 7:42 am

Just want to thank y'all for walking me through this. You have all be a wealth of knowledge since i joined the site.
2 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

Return to “Beginners Board”