Hay season off to a great start

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Hay season off to a great start

Postby snoopdog » Mon May 28, 2018 10:09 pm

I really didn't know where to post this ,but here goes . So , the hay is ready , and I start raking with my 240 massey and the roller bar, about 3 rounds and the ferguson quits. Walk to the house , get a fuel filter and some tools , jump on the Belarus and figure ILL bale what's raked and get the massey going again , wrong ! So ,I can't get it started ,go back to the house ,grab a chain, and my sweet and lovely to tow it back , I'm unhooked from the baler, I can rake and rehook. Now , my lovely bride hasn't been on the tractor in a couple of years since I came in off the road , she hasn't needed to . Well , we pull in the yard , and it's got a little slope , and my pickup is in the way to where I want to put the massey , easy access to the shop and shady for the biggest part of the day . Well , I turn around , to signal to her to hang tight while I move the pickup and BAM, I now have a liftarm through a radiator , immediate cursing , laughter afterwards , could have bought a lot of hay for what it is probably going to cost. But the LOOK on her face was PRICELESS.
Last edited by snoopdog on Tue May 29, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby boondocks » Tue May 29, 2018 12:21 am

snoopdog wrote:I really didn't know where to post this ,but here goes . So , the hay is ready , and I start raking with my 240 massey and the roller bar, about 3 rounds and the ferguson quits. Walk to the house , get a fuel filter and some tools , jump on the Belarus and figure ILL bale what's raked and get the massey going again , wrong ! So ,I can't get it started ,go back to the house ,grab a chain, and my sweet and lovely to tow it back , I'm unhooked from the baler, I can rake and rehook. Now , my lovely bride hasn't been on the tractor in a couple of years since I came in off the road , she hasn't needed to . Well , we pull in the yard , and it's got a little slope , and my pickup is in the way to where I want to put the massey , easy access to the shop and shady for the biggest part of the day . Well , I turn around , to signal to her to hang tight while I move the pickup and BAM, I now have a Drawbar through a radiator , immediate cursing , laughter afterwards , could have bought a lot of hay for what it is probably going to cost. But the LOOK on her face was PRICELESS.

Oh dear. We are cutting our first hay tomorrow. Hope our luck is better, no offense! Glad no one was hurt is your (mis)(and Ms.)adventures!
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1864
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby ddd75 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:57 am

nice.

i blew a hyd. line on the rake.. jammed up a wheel on the tedder.. another wheel fell off the tedder. baler got stock and wouldn't turn a roller.. geez..

gotta go bale today so I gotta get all this stuff fixed
0 x

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby snoopdog » Tue May 29, 2018 6:07 am

ddd75 wrote:nice.

i blew a hyd. line on the rake.. jammed up a wheel on the tedder.. another wheel fell off the tedder. baler got stock and wouldn't turn a roller.. geez..

gotta go bale today so I gotta get all this stuff fixed
Dang
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:04 pm
Location: Wiergate,Tx.

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby Txpiney » Tue May 29, 2018 8:22 am

I'm not as enthusiastic as yaw are to use my 30+ year old haying equipment. Insert smiley faces
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 am
Location: East Tennessee

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby ClinchValley » Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 am

The joys of using older equipment.

I do hope the season gets better for you all.

Looks like we may get a chance to cut this weekend. Get to use our new to us disc mower. The long and slow days using the 501 sickle mower are over…knock on wood.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Near the Mason Dixon line

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby MRRherefords » Tue May 29, 2018 10:16 am

It is so wet here, we may not be able to get in the fields for a while. Its a little frustrating as it was ready two weeks ago and is all going to seed.
0 x

User avatar
Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:04 pm
Location: Wiergate,Tx.

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby Txpiney » Tue May 29, 2018 11:21 am

MRRherefords wrote:It is so wet here, we may not be able to get in the fields for a while. Its a little frustrating as it was ready two weeks ago and is all going to seed.

That's a quality problem MRR. That's how it was here last year.
1 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8966
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue May 29, 2018 11:42 am

Same with us last year. Mid to late July hay - cattle got thin thru the winter. Left horrible ruts in the field. We had 16 acres that we were unable to get into at all until late September - brush hogged it. Now, what a mess. Looks like we are going to fence it in & graze it. Too much dry matter underneath, it will ruin baleage.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6805
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue May 29, 2018 1:11 pm

I wish I had the grass to worry about baling.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23935
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 29, 2018 2:07 pm

My first cutting wasn't that bad but it wasn't good either. I'm convinced I have gremlins or goblins that come and mess with my shyt during the winter months because I put everything up in perfect working order yet it something is always wrong when I fire it up. Good thing is my stuff is old enough that there is not much that can break that I haven't fixed before.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15223
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue May 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Waiting for Alberto to get his sorry butt, outa here....
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby boondocks » Wed May 30, 2018 12:21 am

Jogeephus wrote:My first cutting wasn't that bad but it wasn't good either. I'm convinced I have gremlins or goblins that come and mess with my shyt during the winter months because I put everything up in perfect working order yet it something is always wrong when I fire it up. Good thing is my stuff is old enough that there is not much that can break that I haven't fixed before.

They visit us too. Make you think you've lost your mind....
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby boondocks » Wed May 30, 2018 12:25 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Same with us last year. Mid to late July hay - cattle got thin thru the winter. Left horrible ruts in the field. We had 16 acres that we were unable to get into at all until late September - brush hogged it. Now, what a mess. Looks like we are going to fence it in & graze it. Too much dry matter underneath, it will ruin baleage.



Jeanne, you have me worried now. We're a bit east of you and had similar issues with the wet "summer" last year. First/only cutting around Sept-Oct. Ended up brush-hogging several acres in Oct. that we are getting ready to make baleage from (our first time. We're gonna cut/rake, a neighbor will come bale/wrap). We planned to not cut it real low....
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8966
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Hay season off to a great start

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed May 30, 2018 5:43 am

Boondocks - we have a lot of clumps of dry wadded grass. Ground is rough. We wanted to brush hog it again this spring before all the fresh growth, but was too wet. Once it was dry enough, had way too much new grass.
One problem just snowballs into more. I will probably have to buy more polywire & posts to fence in 16 acres - but only on two sides.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests