New heifer (:

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

New heifer (:

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 pm

I bought her Saturday from a small rancher in my town she’s 6 months my plan was keep her two months then sell her but as I keep looking at her i am starting to like her more and more and wanting to keep her as a momma cow. Wouldn’t mind thoughts and opinions on what I should do or thoughts on how she looks. Pictures don’t do her justice shes a brick house and stout girl.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: New heifer (:

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:50 am

She seems to be a solid little thing, if you got room for her I would keep her. What bulls do you have to put her to. I don't think you would do any harm with using an Angus bull.

Ken
1 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 am

wbvs58 wrote:She seems to be a solid little thing, if you got room for her I would keep her. What bulls do you have to put her to. I don't think you would do any harm with using an Angus bull.

Ken

What age do you guys breed your heifers I know everyone’s different
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8966
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:56 am

In most of the pictures, she is standing with her hind legs back. This is usually a sure sign of them being post legged. I didn't see a good shot of her to determine if she is. Post legged (IMO) is the worse structural problem. I would much rather have them a little sickle hocked vs post.
I breed my heifers at 14-16 months of age, shooting for 24 months old at calving.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3807
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: New heifer (:

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:43 pm

Yes we aim to have them calving at 2 years, usually calve mid winter aim for early July, no snow just morning frosts.

Ken
1 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:In most of the pictures, she is standing with her hind legs back. This is usually a sure sign of them being post legged. I didn't see a good shot of her to determine if she is. Post legged (IMO) is the worse structural problem. I would much rather have them a little sickle hocked vs post.
I breed my heifers at 14-16 months of age, shooting for 24 months old at calving.

Ok so if she was that would you sell her and when ? Not saying I will but just curious and trying to learn.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8966
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 am

Personally, I would sell her. You don't want to propagate poor structure.
She looks good otherwise. Do you have a cattle person near you that can eye-ball her? Depends on what you want to achieve with your cattle. If you have a small farm and your cattle do not have to range far, it may never bother her. Definitely would not want a bull with post legs. Then generally break down from walking around on hind legs.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: New heifer (:

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:01 am

I'd sell her as a feeder heifer. Then again I look at things from a financial standpoint.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:43 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:I'd sell her as a feeder heifer. Then again I look at things from a financial standpoint.

What Age would you sell her at if you did that she’s 6 months now and would you put her out on grass or feed her out with feed I’m new to this lol . I wanna make money as well as build a small herd
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13220
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Get the best quality stock you can to start a herd.. Doesn't have to be fancy stuff, but look for long cow lines that have been problem free, calved on schedule, no prolapses, no bad feet, bad tempers, etc.. Don't have to start with heifers either, if you can get middle aged cows with good life left in them that might be a more affordable start.

Don't have much insight for when to sell her though.. Right now you probably have cheap food for her, if you have to feed hay in the winter, that's more expensive (though she won't be eating a ton at that age)
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Nesikep wrote:Get the best quality stock you can to start a herd.. Doesn't have to be fancy stuff, but look for long cow lines that have been problem free, calved on schedule, no prolapses, no bad feet, bad tempers, etc.. Don't have to start with heifers either, if you can get middle aged cows with good life left in them that might be a more affordable start.

Don't have much insight for when to sell her though.. Right now you probably have cheap food for her, if you have to feed hay in the winter, that's more expensive (though she won't be eating a ton at that age)

I have 3 middle age cows as well one is calving this month and one has a heifer calf on her side but I wanted to get a younger calf see how she would do and if it wasn’t good sell her in a couple months
0 x

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1307
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: New heifer (:

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:I'd sell her as a feeder heifer. Then again I look at things from a financial standpoint.

What Age would you sell her at if you did that she’s 6 months now and would you put her out on grass or feed her out with feed I’m new to this lol . I wanna make money as well as build a small herd

Depends on what you gave for her and how much it costs to put on a lb? Hard to come out ahead buying 4 wts and selling as singles IMO
Last edited by RanchMan90 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8966
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:49 pm

You can put weight on her out on pasture for the summer & sell in the fall - or you can grain feed her & finish her out for freezer beef. That would probably the best profit. It is usually pretty easy to find two people to buy a half. Just make sure you get her fat enough if you sell her for meat.
And, I'm not saying you shouldn't keep her. Looking at a picture can be extremely difficult to judge structure. It is just that when they stand with their hind legs back all the time, that is a really good indication that they are post legged. You might have caught her wrong.
How are you going to breed your little herd?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:32 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:I'd sell her as a feeder heifer. Then again I look at things from a financial standpoint.

What Age would you sell her at if you did that she’s 6 months now and would you put her out on grass or feed her out with feed I’m new to this lol . I wanna make money as well as build a small herd

Depends on what you gave for her and how much it costs to put on a lb? Hard to come out ahead buying 4 wts and selling as singles IMO
I paid 600 for her ..
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: New heifer (:

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:You can put weight on her out on pasture for the summer & sell in the fall - or you can grain feed her & finish her out for freezer beef. That would probably the best profit. It is usually pretty easy to find two people to buy a half. Just make sure you get her fat enough if you sell her for meat.
And, I'm not saying you shouldn't keep her. Looking at a picture can be extremely difficult to judge structure. It is just that when they stand with their hind legs back all the time, that is a really good indication that they are post legged. You might have caught her wrong.
How are you going to breed your little herd?
debating on a Brangus bull or beefmaster not sure.
1 x


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests