Corral ground/dealing with mud

The place to start if you are new!
BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Corral ground/dealing with mud

Postby BigBear » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:15 am

Hi everyone,
I am renting an excavator in a few weeks to get some projects done and one of those is getting my corral squared away. It’s a muddy mess. It’s close to our creek but has plenty of fall to shed water. It just needs the manure cleaned out and drains and gravel put it.

My question is this: I know that putting down fabric below the gravel will make a big difference with the mud but I will eventually need to put posts (9”diameter to support my alley panels) in and I’m concerned that the posts may not go through the fabric. I do also plan to put in 4” heavy wall perforated drain tiles as well (3 drains for a 40’x50’ corral). Could I get away without the fabric?
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Corral ground/dealing with mud

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:35 am

You could get away with it, but you'll be much happier with the fabric than without. I've driven posts through it, but it's better to dig down to it, and cut a hole. If you switched to a pipe post, in lieu of the 9" wood post, I wouldn't worry at all about cutting the geotextile.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:38 am

BigBear wrote:Hi everyone,
I am renting an excavator in a few weeks to get some projects done and one of those is getting my corral squared away. It’s a muddy mess. It’s close to our creek but has plenty of fall to shed water. It just needs the manure cleaned out and drains and gravel put it.

My question is this: I know that putting down fabric below the gravel will make a big difference with the mud but I will eventually need to put posts (9”diameter to support my alley panels) in and I’m concerned that the posts may not go through the fabric. I do also plan to put in 4” heavy wall perforated drain tiles as well (3 drains for a 40’x50’ corral). Could I get away without the fabric?

A post driver will drive them through. I put my fabric down, then gravel, then put the posts in for my crowding pen, sweep and alley.

KEEP THE FABRIC!
1 x
Make America Happy Again

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:49 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:You could get away with it, but you'll be much happier with the fabric than without. I've driven posts through it, but it's better to dig down to it, and cut a hole. If you switched to a pipe post, in lieu of the 9" wood post, I wouldn't worry at all about cutting the geotextile.

Kevin drove through mine. I am almost positive he didn't cut before driving but I might be wrong, it was almost 10 years ago. Nevertheless, it stays solid and has handled years of traffic.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:01 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:You could get away with it, but you'll be much happier with the fabric than without. I've driven posts through it, but it's better to dig down to it, and cut a hole. If you switched to a pipe post, in lieu of the 9" wood post, I wouldn't worry at all about cutting the geotextile.

Kevin drove through mine. I am almost positive he didn't cut before driving but I might be wrong, it was almost 10 years ago. Nevertheless, it stays solid and has handled years of traffic.

I've caused a mess driving through it, but it was freshly laid, with stone on top that hadn't been compacted, and it was muddy. Posts were very large, also.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:09 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I've caused a mess driving through it, but it was freshly laid, with stone on top that hadn't been compacted, and it was muddy. Posts were very large, also.

When I built my facility, I had my dozer. I compacted it really well with the dozer on dry ground. My posts are 8 foot end posts.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I may just go the pipe route. That sounds like a better way to go anyways. I will not be putting my alley in until next summer which will give it plenty of compaction time. This fall I will only do perimeter posts with guardrail and continue to use my panels.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:23 pm

BigBear wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. I may just go the pipe route. That sounds like a better way to go anyways. I will not be putting my alley in until next summer which will give it plenty of compaction time. This fall I will only do perimeter posts with guardrail and continue to use my panels.

My pipe supplier delivers in your area, but won't sell direct to the public. Give me a shout if you need me to call an order in for you. You won't regret having the fabric when the spring thaw comes!
0 x

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks Fence!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Totally agree. Put down fabric. When I had my feed pads built, I was concerned about the fencer coming in & pounding wooden posts. The contractor assured me there wouldn't be any problem. Worked out perfect.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Anyone got a link to this fabric you talk of? Never heard of it!
0 x

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:58 pm

https://www.profabricsupply.com/product ... 5921215584

First one that came up in a google search. We used this at our churches property to put a road in a muddy field and it worked great. You could drive an 18 wheeler on it and never get stuck. And before we put it down you could barely get a 4x4 pick up down the lane.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Till-Hill wrote:Anyone got a link to this fabric you talk of? Never heard of it!

It is a construction fabric. If you go to most farm supply stores they carry it. Ask for construction fabric. Comes in different gauges
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:00 pm

BigBear wrote:https://www.profabricsupply.com/products/woven-stabilization-fabric-heavy-duty-200lb-12-5-x-54-roll?variant=8195921215584

First one that came up in a google search. We used this at our churches property to put a road in a muddy field and it worked great. You could drive an 18 wheeler on it and never get stuck. And before we put it down you could barely get a 4x4 pick up down the lane.

I was posting as you were. Yes that is it.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 pm

If you have a wet area / mud area, you dig it down, put the fabric down, then layer stone/gravel on top of it.
If you just put down rock and gravel, the mud just works it way up through the rock & gravel. This prevents it.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Beginners Board”