Corral ground/dealing with mud

The place to start if you are new!
Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Corral ground/dealing with mud

Postby Aaron » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:

That’s a nice improvement! Did you use 4” tile? My subsoil is very sandy. Would you recommend a sock tile?

Yes, I used a 4" tile. I have heavy grey clay, so I didn't use a sock; but in your case I would.

If I did it over again, I would have put a sock in and backfilled trenches with purchased coarse gravel to increase water infiltration. But it is night and day difference from what it used to be. Worth every penny.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Very nice Aaron. I will be using 4” tile but I can only go about 2’ deep or I run the risk of the creek water back flowing into the pipe making matters much worse. I have very dense red clay and I am putting down fabric with about 8-10” of gravel on top. No matter what happens it will be better thank what I have been dealing with the last few winters
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:47 pm

BigBear wrote:Very nice Aaron. I will be using 4” tile but I can only go about 2’ deep or I run the risk of the creek water back flowing into the pipe making matters much worse. I have very dense red clay and I am putting down fabric with about 8-10” of gravel on top. No matter what happens it will be better thank what I have been dealing with the last few winters

Try to go 3' at least. At 2' you run the risk of the pipe collapsing if ground is wet and have heavy traffic over it. Cattle hooves really punch the ground.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Return to “Beginners Board”