Replacements

The place to start if you are new!
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Replacements

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:55 pm

What do you think of these girls ,and which do you like the best? All born august through October.
Image This wf, is one that didn't come from the genetical ancestors , her mom got out and rather get her up, the owner sold her.

Image The makeup of this one I also like , the dark red one
Image It's hard to tell about the black one in the pic, but she was one of the first born , from a mother that is just right in every way , the red one is out of a braunviegh cow. All have the same RA sire . Except for the big steer in front , pretty sure his daddy is a balancer bull.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Replacements

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:11 pm

Nice group of calves with a bit of substance to them but can't really see much of your individual replacements. The red one in the middle photo probably got the best look at and she seems like a nice type but still can't see enough to appraise.

Ken
1 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:26 am

Ken, I can't seem to convince them to move where the light is good , lol. They are coming to 45 days weaned , so we'll be loading most of them this week , see how it goes , if I can get my picks separated . Facilities here were more designed to load all, but made some changes this weekend .
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:59 am

Look like the right kind to me.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:45 pm

From what little we can see, I like the dark red one the best.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Got some new pics this evening ,

2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:21 pm

yep, I like the dark red one best, the lighter red one looks a little light in the back end.. WF probably my second pick

I have problems getting side shots of them, they're always chasing me
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Nesi - you confused me. He has a red, a red WF and a black heifer in those pictures???
My pick is the RWF, but they all look good.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Nesi - you confused me. He has a red, a red WF and a black heifer in those pictures???

I have one red WF cow, compliments of the neighbors bull ( :bang: ) but she's by far one of my faves and I'm partial to both the reds in Snoop's pics. The black looks waaaaay smaller. That said, whether I retain is contingent on their pelvic measurements and I've been completely surprised by the results many times. Big girls with big butts don't always mean big pelvic measurements.
1 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Nesi - you confused me. He has a red, a red WF and a black heifer in those pictures???
Confused me also Jeanne , but you're correct , I think the black girl has traces of red tint to her hide. I'm not a very good photographer , the rwf is the youngest by 2 weeks and definitely shows the sire in her. TC, the black girl isn't as thick , but she is longer , they are all the same height , again I can't take a picture . I should have looked at my records before I posted the first post , the black and the solid red were 2 days apart and they were all born in oct, my bad. Interesting , to me at least , we did not have one red boy this crop. The end of octoberthis year will decide who goes and stays among the cows, we will be culling hard, at vaccination time . But I am hoping these girls will take up some of the slack and I will cultivate them here and not on the lease until they calve the first time , if conditions permit .
2 x

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 am

If your using a black bull. I would not use solid red cows. Calves come out brown. Looks like my heard , until I sold the solid red cows. Kept Herefords. Get them pregnant and sell them. Double your money.
0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:08 pm

TCRanch wrote:

I have one red WF cow, compliments of the neighbors bull ( :bang: ) but she's by far one of my faves and I'm partial to both the reds in Snoop's pics. The black looks waaaaay smaller. That said, whether I retain is contingent on their pelvic measurements and I've been completely surprised by the results many times. Big girls with big butts don't always mean big pelvic measurements.

maybe a good reason to invite the neighbor's bull over more often. I like your scenario a lot better than when the neighbor's bull takes out a fence, and he is also a piece of cr*p bull. :) Incidentally, our pastures are all gated to our neighbors' pastures for times when their bulls or my bulls stray.
1 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:37 am

Lrj505 wrote:If your using a black bull. I would not use solid red cows. Calves come out brown. Looks like my heard , until I sold the solid red cows. Kept Herefords. Get them pregnant and sell them. Double your money.

A HOMOzygous black bull will give all black calves. They may have a "brownish/redish" color as calves, but will turn out black - unless, there is a diluter gene in the mixture.
A HETEROzygous black bull will give you 50% black 50% reds.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:38 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Lrj505 wrote:If your using a black bull. I would not use solid red cows. Calves come out brown. Looks like my heard , until I sold the solid red cows. Kept Herefords. Get them pregnant and sell them. Double your money.

A HOMOzygous black bull will give all black calves. They may have a "brownish/redish" color as calves, but will turn out black - unless, there is a diluter gene in the mixture.
A HETEROzygous black bull will give you 50% black 50% reds.
Thank you Jeanne for that information , I am not very well versed in genetic terms. Our calving season has started again and so far 1 red bull and 1 black . So now I know what to call my bull, other than shytehead :lol:
1 x

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Here is a red angus cow X black angus bull calf 10 weeks old. Can’t decide what color he is.

0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”