Building your herd???

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Building your herd???

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:25 pm

How did you guys start off how did you build your herd how many cows heifers bulls how did you add year by year and what’s best way to start off for someone young trying to get into the cattle business I have a few cows but I’m also trying to grow my small herd have 2 cows 2 heifers debating on selling them and just buying bred cows that are 3-5 yrs old heavy bred or buying bred heifers or buying replacements heifers and buying a bull I don’t have a bull yet I know it’s a lot but just trying to get steered in the right direction or should I keep What I have and just keep adding little little by little. Need advice a lot of it if possible
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Re: Building your herd???

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 am

Probably no wrong answer. I don’t have much interest in calving out heifers, so I like to buy bred cows in the fall or pairs in early spring, depending on the sales that year. That way I’m fairly confident they know how to calve on their own. I’ve always had my own bull, but it really makes more sense to hire someone to AI them unless you know someone who will rent you a bull.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:27 am

Slowly usually equals little or no debt.
Faster usually equals more debt.
I’ve seen it work both ways but slowly is probably better. Or maybe somewhere in the middle.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:01 am

Start with your ground first. Make sure you have plenty and well established forage, fertility and pH. Adding the cows becomes the easy part after you have the ground in place. I have added heifers and cows along the way. Heifers equal more risk. Good cows can be had pretty reasonable right now. I agree with JMJ. If youre here asking questions, best to go slow.
2 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:39 am

JMJ Farms wrote:Slowly usually equals little or no debt.
Faster usually equals more debt.
I’ve seen it work both ways but slowly is probably better. Or maybe somewhere in the middle.

If I got a loan i was thinking on like 5 bred cows or on pairs
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:45 am

M.Magis wrote:Probably no wrong answer. I don’t have much interest in calving out heifers, so I like to buy bred cows in the fall or pairs in early spring, depending on the sales that year. That way I’m fairly confident they know how to calve on their own. I’ve always had my own bull, but it really makes more sense to hire someone to AI them unless you know someone who will rent you a bull.
does the bull have to be registered to be a good bull cause i was looking at beefmaster and some brangus ones that weren’t registered but parents were.
As well what’s a good price range for bred cows
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:49 am

bball wrote:Start with your ground first. Make sure you have plenty and well established forage, fertility and pH. Adding the cows becomes the easy part after you have the ground in place. I have added heifers and cows along the way. Heifers equal more risk. Good cows can be had pretty reasonable right now. I agree with JMJ. If youre here asking questions, best to go slow.
yeah I got my ag extension to come out already and they told me everything was good .. my two older cows are 7 and 8 and I have two heifer calfs that are 6 and 7 months old my biggest thing should I stay put with them or sell the heifers for extra cash to buy more or sell the two cows and buy more and a bull I know a lot of questions just want some extra insight
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:12 am

Bfields30 wrote:
bball wrote:Start with your ground first. Make sure you have plenty and well established forage, fertility and pH. Adding the cows becomes the easy part after you have the ground in place. I have added heifers and cows along the way. Heifers equal more risk. Good cows can be had pretty reasonable right now. I agree with JMJ. If youre here asking questions, best to go slow.
yeah I got my ag extension to come out already and they told me everything was good .. my two older cows are 7 and 8 and I have two heifer calfs that are 6 and 7 months old my biggest thing should I stay put with them or sell the heifers for extra cash to buy more or sell the two cows and buy more and a bull I know a lot of questions just want some extra insight

You could flip the heifers and kick in some extra for a couple heavy breds. As far as a bull goes, i would really look into renting one until you get your numbers up enough to justify the cost of keeping one year round.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:45 am

Bfields30 wrote:
M.Magis wrote:Probably no wrong answer. I don’t have much interest in calving out heifers, so I like to buy bred cows in the fall or pairs in early spring, depending on the sales that year. That way I’m fairly confident they know how to calve on their own. I’ve always had my own bull, but it really makes more sense to hire someone to AI them unless you know someone who will rent you a bull.
does the bull have to be registered to be a good bull cause i was looking at beefmaster and some brangus ones that weren’t registered but parents were.

All my bulls have been purebred, but not registered.
Prices are market driven. I bought two nice cow/calf pairs this spring for $1375/pair, and they were near the top end of that sale. On the other hand, I have numerous cows I bought before the market dropped that cost me between $2300-$2700 each as bred cows.
0 x

mmfd1379
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mmfd1379 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Where are you located? Are you set for winter grazing and/or feeding if you buy now and load up you may have to turn around and sale in the winter. Is this just a hobby? If so slow and steady don’t buy cheap just because you have the money. Let it be known in your area that your in the looking to buy quality and someone will tell you about some cattle for sale. Shop around. As far as a bull options are endless. I prefer papered just because he’s half your calf crop and you have a little knowledge about him. Maybe this helps.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:48 pm

U of Kentucky has some Excel calculators that will answer many of your what to buy questions. For me, it is better to sell bred heifers on Saturdays and buy back bred cows on weekdays.

Borrowing money only makes sense for something that makes you at least 2x the going interest rate. What is your annual cent return on what you have invested so far?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:04 pm

mmfd1379 wrote:Where are you located? Are you set for winter grazing and/or feeding if you buy now and load up you may have to turn around and sale in the winter. Is this just a hobby? If so slow and steady don’t buy cheap just because you have the money. Let it be known in your area that your in the looking to buy quality and someone will tell you about some cattle for sale. Shop around. As far as a bull options are endless. I prefer papered just because he’s half your calf crop and you have a little knowledge about him. Maybe this helps.
east Tx winnsboro area yeah that’s what I’m going for quality and I have like 50 acres and even though it’s summer grass is tall long and plentiful lol I want more cows to help graze so I don’t have to shred so much
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:06 pm

M.Magis wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:

All my bulls have been purebred, but not registered.
Prices are market driven. I bought two nice cow/calf pairs this spring for $1375/pair, and they were near the top end of that sale. On the other hand, I have numerous cows I bought before the market dropped that cost me between $2300-$2700 each as bred cows.

When you buy those pairs do you keep those calves or do you resell the calfs in 6 months I know people keep them some sale once they wean.
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:08 pm

bball wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:

You could flip the heifers and kick in some extra for a couple heavy breds. As far as a bull goes, i would really look into renting one until you get your numbers up enough to justify the cost of keeping one year round.

I’ve looked into renting no one in my area does that anybody that I contacted were over 200/300 miles from me. I’m thinking i might flip the heifers think they will bring more money .
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:42 pm

I wean and sell all calves, except the occasional butcher steer.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”