Sale barn !!!!!

The place to start if you are new!
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Sale barn !!!!!

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Went to Emory sale barn today was my first time going to a sale barn I liked it seeing and see all type of cattle it has me leaning towards investing in calves and flipping them in 2/3 months . As well as buying bred cows 7-8 months bred carving them then reselling as pairs. Or buying pairs cheap and reselling when calf is weaning age need insight on it but just seeing prices feel like I could make good amount of money doing it.. I have 50 acres of grass and it’s knee level so I can’t do anything but gain in my opinion thinking of vaccinations then turn them out which ever option I pick to do .

The salebarn is not for rookies.
You had better have a heck of a set of working pens and good fences along with a quarantine lot.
I have bought a many an opportunity girl through the barn over the last few decades. Never pay over 200 bucks over kill prices. Your not going to end up with a 100% calf crop more like 80.
0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:50 pm

I’m sure you learned a ton on Saturday! Best advice I can give is to continue to repeat that trip, and keep learning before jumping in head first. Assume everyone there is looking to earn a few bucks off your inexperience, because they do. Some want to earn it honestly, and some want it anyway they can get it. Make yourself wise....and then bid!
1 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Gators Rule wrote:I’m sure you learned a ton on Saturday! Best advice I can give is to continue to repeat that trip, and keep learning before jumping in head first. Assume everyone there is looking to earn a few bucks off your inexperience, because they do. Some want to earn it honestly, and some want it anyway they can get it. Make yourself wise....and then bid!

Yeah I’ll Definitely gonna go back there but yeah I’m not just going to just buy calfs and cows I was asking for insight to see what people thought I know my budget and know I can’t just spend spend as well I know not everything that’s cheap is good I know the animals there are there for a reason.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:37 am

Don't let us discourage you from enjoying the sale barn and cattle. A very small percentage there has the issues we talk about. Most there are fine. Just get good advice till you feel more confident.
5 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:50 am

i always have done good with the bred cows, but haven't been able to get calves under 500 lbs to gain very well.
2 x

okiek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby okiek » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am

I run cows year round, but buy an additional 30 stocker calves every summer. I buy mid 4 to mid 5 weight calves in May and tend to sell October. Everyone talks about 2lb daily gains. Last year in southern OK with all the grass they could eat but no additional feed, mine gained 1.3 lbs a day. This year I'm going straight back to the sale barn with them in October, so I implanted them and changed mineral. On a good mineral program with implants, I'm hoping for 1.5 to 1.7 lb average daily gain. Steers convert feed better than heifers and will gain weight better. They all went through a vaccination regimen immediately on receiving. Based on those numbers you can estimate your potential if the market holds steady. Look at valley vet to estimate your cost on supplies you decide on.
1 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:50 am

Get a good order buyer. Think of it as an investment rather than a cost.
2 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:51 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Don't let us discourage you from enjoying the sale barn and cattle. A very small percentage there has the issues we talk about. Most there are fine. Just get good advice till you feel more confident.

Yeah I’m learning so I’m trying to get all the advice I can from you guys
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:52 pm

okiek wrote:I run cows year round, but buy an additional 30 stocker calves every summer. I buy mid 4 to mid 5 weight calves in May and tend to sell October. Everyone talks about 2lb daily gains. Last year in southern OK with all the grass they could eat but no additional feed, mine gained 1.3 lbs a day. This year I'm going straight back to the sale barn with them in October, so I implanted them and changed mineral. On a good mineral program with implants, I'm hoping for 1.5 to 1.7 lb average daily gain. Steers convert feed better than heifers and will gain weight better. They all went through a vaccination regimen immediately on receiving. Based on those numbers you can estimate your potential if the market holds steady. Look at valley vet to estimate your cost on supplies you decide on.
thank you will do thanks for the advice
0 x

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:53 pm

ddd75 wrote:i always have done good with the bred cows, but haven't been able to get calves under 500 lbs to gain very well.

Yeah I’m leaning towards that and just selling them once they calf
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 pm

if i were you id buy cows, its alot easier and less risky than calves in my opinion.
1 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:55 am

I'll leave the salebarn buying aadvice to others, but be aware that tall grass isn't necessarily good grass. Depending on forage species, it may be far past its prime time in digestibility and palatibility
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:59 am

Lucky_P wrote:I'll leave the salebarn buying aadvice to others, but be aware that tall grass isn't necessarily good grass. Depending on forage species, it may be far past its prime time in digestibility and palatibility

Well said it’s all about grass farming first.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:50 am

kenny thomas wrote:Also remember that if your seeing calves sell let's say for $1.25 a lb or bred cows got $850 when you start bidding they will be higher than that. Buyers and especially traders love an inexperienced person coming to a sale. They feel it's their duty to give them a lesson.

Very true statement see it all the time..
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:08 am

Bfields30, you have gotten some good advice here. Not every animal at a sale barn is a problem. I typically go to Van Zandt Commission on Saturdays. About another 25 to 30 miles for you. We are seeing some sell outs because the area
south and west of the barn has missed some of the rains. Come over some Saturday.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”