Postby MtnCows93 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:50 pm

thats a nice pond and all but wouldnt it have been cheaper to just drill a well
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Re: New water hole

Postby Silver » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:thats a nice pond and all but wouldnt it have been cheaper to just drill a well

First you’d need to have an aquifer to drill into. We don’t. If we did have an aquifer, it would cost over $10,000 to put one in including a pump for 200 feet of cased well. I think we used about 600 gallons of diesel fuel to dig this, so we are miles ahead in terms of cost.
3 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:21 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:What is a "non-sluffing trench?

One that doesn't collapse in on itself because of the water content in the soil.

Edit: whoops missed the third page
1 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:23 am

Silver are you putting any fish in that pond?
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:54 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Silver are you putting any fish in that pond?

Haven't given it much thought yet. I'd have to look into aerating equipment and such though, and that would mean more solar panels or a wind mill.... Too much to think hard about for this year.
1 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:45 am

greybeard wrote:dugout........ we call that kind of pond a 'tank' here..
You have a great looking place Silver, albeit cold looking in that particular photo. nice cattle as well.

we call that kind of pond a "pond" here... :mrgreen:
3 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:01 pm

it would cost over $10,000 to put one in including a pump for 200 feet of cased well

Pretty high well cost up there compared to here. I have one right at 200 feet that was turnkey including submersible pump for about $5200. I guess being out in the boonies as far as you are, sometimes comes with a price.

I looked into windmills several years ago...them things ain't cheap!! and you still have to have the well drilled.
3 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Silver wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:thats a nice pond and all but wouldnt it have been cheaper to just drill a well

First you’d need to have an aquifer to drill into. We don’t. If we did have an aquifer, it would cost over $10,000 to put one in including a pump for 200 feet of cased well. I think we used about 600 gallons of diesel fuel to dig this, so we are miles ahead in terms of cost.

ok that makes sence, where im from you can drill a 100' well and you got all the water youll ever need
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:
Silver wrote:

ok that makes sence, where im from you can drill a 100' well and you got all the water youll ever need

That would would be wonderful, I can't imagine.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:50 am

Silver wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:
Silver wrote:

Looks good silver... I would just put fish in it though :lol: Yea same here about the 100' well
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:32 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Silver wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:ok that makes sence, where im from you can drill a 100' well and you got all the water youll ever need

Looks good silver... I would just put fish in it though :lol: Yea same here about the 100' well

One thing about the fish.... I'd want to wait until spring to see how much water is left after a winter of use. If the cows empty it over the winter then stocking fish becomes a bad idea.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Silver wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Silver wrote:

One thing about the fish.... I'd want to wait until spring to see how much water is left after a winter of use. If the cows empty it over the winter then stocking fish becomes a bad idea.

Not really ... If you like sardines you will have a good supply and be able to catch them easily :lol:
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Beginners Board”