checking cows - pick apart my plan :)

The place to start if you are new!
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: checking cows - pick apart my plan :)

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:16 pm

The camera idea should work fine and save some driving. I talked to the guy who leased my new place today. Tomorrow they are riding one of the BLM allotments (five people horseback with an untold number of dogs). Pushing the cows to a different part of the allotment. I know he has seen some of the cows since turn out in April but I would bet not all of them. He hopes he gets to see them all tomorrow. If not they get to ride it again in a couple of days.
0 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Where you located? What kind of cows you got?
I have known people to check them only at sale time.
I have known others that check them several times a day. Unless there is a good reason I think that is overdoing it.
Just depends.
Checking fences might be more important than checking cows.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Ryder wrote:Where you located? What kind of cows you got?
I have known people to check them only at sale time.
I have known others that check them several times a day. Unless there is a good reason I think that is overdoing it.
Just depends.
Checking fences might be more important than checking cows.

I can see the light from the road.
If the light is not blinking fences are good five strands and two hot make life easier.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:43 pm

My cabin is In the middle of the place...so mine get checked...once a day~-- every day~-- all day long..
2 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:00 am

Mature cows, I would say twice a week. We had a pasture about the same distance you mention and that worked out good since we had to ship in water about twice a week.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm editing my response. It's dangerously, rotten hot & humid here so I'm checking my herd at least twice a day for signs of heat stroke. Lots of shade & water but I just brought one down to the barn to hose her off, stick her in the cross breeze & turn the fan on her. Will try & move her to the lake just before dark.

So I guess it depends on the time of year, whether they're calving & Mother Nature.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:05 am

Technology sure is making changes as to how we do things...Game camera is great for harder to get to herds. I check 3 times a day during calving season and once a day the rest of the year, except for feeding days and I only ask for reports if anyone stands off by themselves if I don't want to go out because of the weather... My route sometimes can be 20 miles each trip on my 4wheeler depending on what pastures they are in. All our cows are located at our home, but still a lot of driving. Thinking about starting to use a drone, at least during calving season.
One time we had a cow stick her head between 2 trees and was stuck that way. Would have died if no one checked daily..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 am

cowgirl8 wrote:My route sometimes can be 20 miles each trip on my 4wheeler depending on what pastures they are in

Lol . . . . . .I finally figured out who's responsible for those crop circles. I always thought it was Martians.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:25 am

jehosofat wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:My route sometimes can be 20 miles each trip on my 4wheeler depending on what pastures they are in

Lol . . . . . .I finally figured out who's responsible for those crop circles. I always thought it was Martians.

Shhhhh don't give me away
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Return to “Beginners Board”