New shop, I can't say I'm not excited.

The place to start if you are new!
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: New shop, I can't say I'm not excited.

Postby slick4591 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Silver, I really like your building. Around here we normally construct a building on its concrete foundation. Is there a reason you are pouring inside the building?
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:49 pm

slick4591 wrote:Silver, I really like your building. Around here we normally construct a building on its concrete foundation. Is there a reason you are pouring inside the building?

Thanks. This is a pole building, so the building is built on poles set in the ground. Therefore the order of operations is that the poles are set, building erected, then the floor last. The floor is a floating slab.
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:10 pm

farmerjan wrote:Most of the outdoor "boilers" only need to be stoked 2 or 3 times a day. They are very popular here in Virginia and are the answer to the whole problem of getting insurance companies to accept "wood heat". This way the wood isn't inside the house burning so fire risk is way down. They can be both hot water heat (baseboard on in floor) or they can be converted inside to fit a hot air system. Plus the lack of mess in the house with wood, debris, smoke, dust, etc. However, it does take away from the actual warmth of "backing your butt up to a nice warm stove to get warmed up" or cooking on a wood stove.
There are also the kind that burn waste oil; and I am assuming that they would burn regular fuel oil as well. One of the dairies I test for has it in his shop floor and there is nothing as nice as walking in there. Also had a dairy that had it in their parlor floor and the milking parlor was always comfortable. They no longer milk but it was one of my favourite farms to test in the winter.

Yes, it saved us a whole $39 per year in insurance premiums. Including increasing our battery bank and solar panels, the little exercise cost just under $30,000. Had I known what the actual savings were there would still be a wood stove in both buildings.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Silver wrote:
slick4591 wrote:Silver, I really like your building. Around here we normally construct a building on its concrete foundation. Is there a reason you are pouring inside the building?

Thanks. This is a pole building, so the building is built on poles set in the ground. Therefore the order of operations is that the poles are set, building erected, then the floor last. The floor is a floating slab.

Your ground must not shift like our black stuff. Just for my kitchen I poured 8" slab with ten 24" piers to try and keep it from cracking.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Silver, 2 pieces of advice from an idiot that learned the hard way.

1) make sure the floor starts sloping down from where the roll up door hits it all the way to the outside edge of the building. People told me that the door would seal it watertight. :bs: It WILL run back under the door if not sloped.

2) if you have a way to keep that cement wet for 7 days after pouring it will cure much stronger. Slick it, let it harden and then start wetting it the next day. A simple sprinkler will do.

This one doesn’t count. I prefer cut expansion joints over metal expansion joints. It being a shop, you may not want either.
3 x
“It will end with a giant rainbow, passed from the lower bowels of a bipartisan unicorn that snorts pixie dust and expectorates Turkish delight!” - bball

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Silver, 2 pieces of advice from an idiot that learned the hard way.

1) make sure the floor starts sloping down from where the roll up door hits it all the way to the outside edge of the building. People told me that the door would seal it watertight. :bs: It WILL run back under the door if not sloped.

2) if you have a way to keep that cement wet for 7 days after pouring it will cure much stronger. Slick it, let it harden and then start wetting it the next day. A simple sprinkler will do.

This one doesn’t count. I prefer cut expansion joints over metal expansion joints. It being a shop, you may not want either.

Thanks. Yes, I plan on cutting the floor. As far as floor slope, that's interesting. I had assumed to have the floor sloped towards the middle, and from the back end sloped towards the roll up door to facilitate washing and squeegeeing the water out the door. Or do you mean to start the slope for the outside apron right where the door touches down so water won't come back in? That was my plan anyway.
Regarding the curing, I know that keeping it wet does work well. Will also talk to the cement supplier. I am going to use 34 mpa cement, it's $10 per cubic meter more, but well worth it I think.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 am

Looks like my truck!! same color too. Mine's a 2014 3500
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:07 am

to keep the cement wet just lay plastic over it after it hardens a little.

I had plastic on a large pad for over a month and it was still moist and wet underneath.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:46 am

Silver wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Silver, 2 pieces of advice from an idiot that learned the hard way.

Thanks. Yes, I plan on cutting the floor. As far as floor slope, that's interesting. I had assumed to have the floor sloped towards the middle, and from the back end sloped towards the roll up door to facilitate washing and squeegeeing the water out the door. Or do you mean to start the slope for the outside apron right where the door touches down so water won't come back in? That was my plan anyway.
Regarding the curing, I know that keeping it wet does work well. Will also talk to the cement supplier. I am going to use 34 mpa cement, it's $10 per cubic meter more, but well worth it I think.

Yes I was referring to sloping the outside apron from where the door touches down. My apron is only like 8 inches but it caught a lot of water. Had to go back and modify it. Sloping it was was my plan as well. But I let someone else convince me that it wasn’t necessary. They were wrong. And also my slab was poured before the building so what it boiled down to was that they didn’t want to do the little bet of extra concrete work. Needless to say i now use a different concrete contractor.
1 x
“It will end with a giant rainbow, passed from the lower bowels of a bipartisan unicorn that snorts pixie dust and expectorates Turkish delight!” - bball

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:03 am

Put in a couple pvc sleeves in strategic locations in the concrete floor for the future electric/water lines/whatever that you forgot so that you don't need to cut up your concrete.
2 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am

Also, for your drains make sure they put in a tiled drain, not a sand pit drain. Sand pits eventually hold water.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Whether someone "wants" advice or not - this is so great that everyone pitches in to save someone future headaches. Hats off to all you guys.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm

We put floor heat in ours. really wish I'd have left a couple spots without it for a 2 post hoist.. and I would put a few PVC sleeves in if I were to do it again as well.. Handy for running an air line or whatever
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Sorry to hear about the "COST" of saving a few dollars in Insurance. Here in Va it is getting that they don't want to insure places if there is a wood burning stove or even a fireplace inside the house. Had a friend that had wood for years and never any claims and they told him they were not going to renew any policies with indoor wood burning "apparatuses". He went through the roof, but then had an awful time finding a company that would cover it. They are really getting to where they do what they want here and dictate to you what you are allowed to do and have.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Whether someone "wants" advice or not - this is so great that everyone pitches in to save someone future headaches. Hats off to all you guys.

The beauty of it (the unsolicited advice), even if the OP doesn't 'need' or 'want' it, it can and often is helpful to others who are reading the thread. There have been some good thoughts tossed around, here. I can think of at least one suggestion that I hadn't thought about.

And Jeanne, I agree, it is nice to have so many pitching in with their thoughts & suggestions, and nobody is getting bent-out-of-shape about it. :)
4 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Beginners Board”