Working pen (small) 10 head

The place to start if you are new!
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Re: Working pen (small) 10 head

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:37 am

My working pens themselves would handle around 30. My alley would hold 200 although I never had that many. The alley was at the end of a fenced road. Each time I moved cows to a new pasture, they went down that roadway and thru the alley. There were medina hinge gates all in the alley. You could trap and sort anything.

So if you get your working pens right, you can always add a good strong alley later. A "bud box" is simply a new term they use for old school medina gates except it is only a single gate versus a trap set up you get with a medina.

You can google medina hinge and get some good info. In the old days before they had squeeze chutes lots of folks used medinas. They still use that concept for bulls at rodeos.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Bfields30
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:My working pens themselves would handle around 30. My alley would hold 200 although I never had that many. The alley was at the end of a fenced road. Each time I moved cows to a new pasture, they went down that roadway and thru the alley. There were medina hinge gates all in the alley. You could trap and sort anything.

So if you get your working pens right, you can always add a good strong alley later. A "bud box" is simply a new term they use for old school medina gates except it is only a single gate versus a trap set up you get with a medina.

You can google medina hinge and get some good info. In the old days before they had squeeze chutes lots of folks used medinas. They still use that concept for bulls at rodeos.
how high would you say it should be gotta couple Braford heifers and Brahman heifers coming in soon reason I’m building it so I can put them in there before I let them loose on my place.
1 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 am

Bfields30 wrote: how high would you say it should be gotta couple Braford heifers and Brahman heifers coming in soon reason I’m building it so I can put them in there before I let them loose on my place.

6 foot.
4 x
“It will end with a giant rainbow, passed from the lower bowels of a bipartisan unicorn that snorts pixie dust and expectorates Turkish delight!” - bball

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:10 am

I agree with JMJ . 6 foot should be good for anything. I had 5 foot utility panels welded on drill stem and two sucker rods 5 inches apart above the panels. That put me at 5 foot 10 inches. I had char/brimmer F1's and lots of brangus. Existing cows weren't an issue but when you bring in new bloodlines, they tend to try the facility. All they really want to do is go home but they don't know where home is. A few days to settle always helps.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Return to “Beginners Board”