Fencing full of Brush, etc.

The place to start if you are new!
bball
GURU
GURU

Re: Fencing full of Brush, etc.

Postby bball » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:20 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
bball wrote:In this place in time, I wouldn't dare put cows in a place without a continuous fence. You'd be amazed at what a cow will walk/push through(vegetation wise). Spray the overgrown fencelines with a mix of crossbow and roundup. Wait a week. Go back with a spool of barbed wire, fence posts, and your brand new blue gripple bag that your ordered from farm fence solutions and start making the repairs. Cattle are infinitely more enjoyable when you have decent fence. :2cents:

The fence described along with some of the repairs are loose the farm fence here.

Not sure i follow CB. If i understood the OP, he isnt 100% sure the condition of the fence because its all grown up. May have some repairs to make and tighten things up. Gripples will do nicely in his situation i imagine.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:58 pm

bball wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
bball wrote:In this place in time, I wouldn't dare put cows in a place without a continuous fence. You'd be amazed at what a cow will walk/push through(vegetation wise). Spray the overgrown fencelines with a mix of crossbow and roundup. Wait a week. Go back with a spool of barbed wire, fence posts, and your brand new blue gripple bag that your ordered from farm fence solutions and start making the repairs. Cattle are infinitely more enjoyable when you have decent fence. :2cents:

The fence described along with some of the repairs are loose the farm fence here.

Not sure i follow CB. If i understood the OP, he isnt 100% sure the condition of the fence because its all grown up. May have some repairs to make and tighten things up. Gripples will do nicely in his situation i imagine.

Got a newbie down the road sounds just like the original trying to get by on the cheap. Cheap fences is a quick way to loose the farm.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Get in the real world, everybody don't have a mountain of cash buried in back yard to fix or buy new every time something needs doin. You will Loose the dam farm trying to impress the neighbors too.
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:49 pm

M-5 wrote:Get in the real world, everybody don't have a mountain of cash buried in back yard to fix or buy new every time something needs doin. You will Loose the dam farm trying to impress the neighbors too.

You lose it quicker with pee poor fences. Has nothing to do with impression till your in front of a jury.
One word will get you every time in Texas is knowingly. If you know the Fence is substandard or should have known open up the liability checkbook.
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 am

Lose.
5 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:30 am

if its your property. the smartest thing to do is bite the bullet. bulldoze the whole mess out and get it right. never worry about it again with the exception of a little herbicide once a year.
5 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:31 am

callmefence wrote:if its your property. the smartest thing to do is bite the bullet. bulldoze the whole mess out and get it right. never worry about it again with the exception of a little herbicide once a year.

Yep.
2 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hook2.0
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hook2.0 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 am

Spend the time fixing the fence now, or spend the time chasing cows later. Either way you’ll end up spending time. It’s part of the game
2 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Get a skid steer with a grapple attachment and use it to pull trees, bushes, fence, posts, everything out and pile up, then burn it. After it cools down get the wire out of the ashes. Then put up a fence.
6 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:25 pm

I'm thinking about tearing down all my fences, my cows ain't leaving. If they do, I don't need em. :lol: :lol:
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 pm

jehosofat wrote:I'm thinking about tearing down all my fences, my cows ain't leaving. If they do, I don't need em. :lol: :lol:

Shoot, after my cows are done rolling up the hay they didn't eat they go and fix fence themselves.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:58 am

ga.prime wrote:Get a skid steer with a grapple attachment and use it to pull trees, bushes, fence, posts, everything out and pile up, then burn it. After it cools down get the wire out of the ashes. Then put up a fence.

1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Douglas
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Douglas » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:35 am

I would clean out the corners enough to anchor a high tensile fence just inside the old one. A couple hot wires inside on t-post. Starting spraying the old fence and decide later which fence to use long term. Later you can move the hot wires to the old fence once it is ready to go. Then use the T-post to cross fence, or keep the new fence and add wood post.
0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:44 pm

after 33 years of being in insurance in a rural community, the only sound advice is going to deal with replacing a beat up, rusted, overgrown fence with a good 5 strand fence. In Florida, there are some statutory protections for a rancher (6 acres and/or 6000 acres)....IF a cow gets out on a roadway and someone is killed (or worse...badly injured) and the fence is a minimum of 5 well maintained strands, and the fence posts are in good workable condition. I think C.B. used the word "knowingly" and that word is a mouthful in a court room, but even if the rancher unknowingly had a bad fence, that won't remove an even bigger word...as he is still "negligible" and responsible for his or her fences being in good condition. If the fence is in good repair, it's hard to get sued. Not impossible, but not easy either.

To the OP, for the life of me, I cannot think of one solitary reason why you or anyone else would want to risk putting cows in a 6 acre pasture without aligning your priorities correctly. First, you're not going to make an appreciable amount of money with 6 acres regardless, so this venture is mostly hobby related. Secondly, and especially as a hobby, I would sure hate to lose my home, life savings, and even more importantly cause a kid to grow up without a father because he was killed when his semi tractor/trailer hit a cow on the road...and then ran off the road and had an oak limb come through his front windshield killing him instantly (true story, he was my best friend). All could be prevented by making sure you had a good fence before unloading those two cows. Just some thoughts from a little different angle.
5 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:05 pm

callmefence wrote:
ga.prime wrote:Get a skid steer with a grapple attachment and use it to pull trees, bushes, fence, posts, everything out and pile up, then burn it. After it cools down get the wire out of the ashes. Then put up a fence.

A tractor will work too, but a skid steer will run rings around a tractor.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Return to “Beginners Board”