High tensile woven wire (red brand)

The place to start if you are new!
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 pm
Location: Western kentucky

High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Ky cowboy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:47 am

When I start fencing I plan on doing g a couple acres in woven wire and found some ht woven wire thru red brand. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with it

https://www.ruralking.com/red-brand-fie ... DQQAvD_BwE
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4489
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 am

I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a 14 gauge. I have yet to use a 14 gauge net or 16 gauge Barb I wasn't disappointed in. You get what you pay for.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16419
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:01 am

yep
Image
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:33 am

100% chance of slack line wires and it's hinge joint, which means 2-3 times as many posts. Expensive wire is cheaper. I put about 7,000 feet of it up on our place over a decade ago, in an attempt to save money. It lasted just a few years. The top and bottom line wires would break before the "filler" line wires ever got anywhere close to tight. I did call them about the slack line wires, but they pretty much told me that's just the way it is. That was my last brush with thier products. It's unfortunate, but Red Brand isn't what it used to be. Light gauge Bekaert Goucho net wire is a step up, but still not up to the job of making a permanent fence, IMO.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 pm
Location: Western kentucky

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Ky cowboy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:49 pm

callmefence wrote:I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a 14 gauge. I have yet to use a 14 gauge net or 16 gauge Barb I wasn't disappointed in. You get what you pay for.

Im open for suggestions in wire. Another question what's the recommended post spacing. Would like to use metal and wood post to help with cost.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4489
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:
callmefence wrote:I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a 14 gauge. I have yet to use a 14 gauge net or 16 gauge Barb I wasn't disappointed in. You get what you pay for.

Im open for suggestions in wire. Another question what's the recommended post spacing. Would like to use metal and wood post to help with cost.


Personally Tornado 121/2 gauge netwire. There's a slew of sizes that would work. Just be sure it's square or fixed knot..no hinged knots. Never again..lol

Tpost every 12 foot . Stiffner post every 96 foot.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:34 pm

callmefence wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:
callmefence wrote:I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a 14 gauge. I have yet to use a 14 gauge net or 16 gauge Barb I wasn't disappointed in. You get what you pay for.

Im open for suggestions in wire. Another question what's the recommended post spacing. Would like to use metal and wood post to help with cost.


Personally Tornado 121/2 gauge netwire. There's a slew of sizes that would work. Just be sure it's square or fixed knot..no hinged knots. Never again..lol

Tpost every 12 foot . Stiffner post every 96 foot.



And galvanized pipe is the same cost now as a properly treated CCA post. Cheap posts are still cheap, especially in Western KY. Wood is outdated, right? :lol2:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1039
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Granville County NC

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:34 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:Im open for suggestions in wire. Another question what's the recommended post spacing. Would like to use metal and wood post to help with cost.


Personally Tornado 121/2 gauge netwire. There's a slew of sizes that would work. Just be sure it's square or fixed knot..no hinged knots. Never again..lol

Tpost every 12 foot . Stiffner post every 96 foot.



And galvanized pipe is the same cost now as a properly treated CCA post. Cheap posts are still cheap, especially in Western KY. Wood is outdated, right? :lol2:


I am fencing about 12 acres on my home place we just had logged. I am going to do woven wire with wood posts along the front (wife wants) and then t posts along the back. I just saw your website and the fence planner tool you have. That thing is like sliced bread! Thanks for making something like that available! I wish you or callmefence were closer...I ain't the best fence builder, and my health isn't the best anymore either...you both look like you do super quality work! Thanks again!

Tim
1 x

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby farmerjan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:06 pm

I also would not go with 39" height for cattle. 47" is the way to go as they won't be able to "lean over" as easily. To me, 39" is asking for them to see if they can go over to the other side....
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Personally Tornado 121/2 gauge netwire. There's a slew of sizes that would work. Just be sure it's square or fixed knot..no hinged knots. Never again..lol

Tpost every 12 foot . Stiffner post every 96 foot.[/quote

And galvanized pipe is the same cost now as a properly treated CCA post. Cheap posts are still cheap, especially in Western KY. Wood is outdated, right? :lol2:


I am fencing about 12 acres on my home place we just had logged. I am going to do woven wire with wood posts along the front (wife wants) and then t posts along the back. I just saw your website and the fence planner tool you have. That thing is like sliced bread! Thanks for making something like that available! I wish you or callmefence were closer...I ain't the best fence builder, and my health isn't the best anymore either...you both look like you do super quality work! Thanks again!

Tim


Glad you like it! We have a couple miles to build near Stoneville, NC in October. Wouldn’t be any trouble to slide on over if you need us.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4489
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby callmefence » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 pm

farmerjan wrote:I also would not go with 39" height for cattle. 47" is the way to go as they won't be able to "lean over" as easily. To me, 39" is asking for them to see if they can go over to the other side....


39" netwire is used with 2 to three stands of barbwire on top and should have a finished hieght of around 54".
Typically a 10 to 14" space between the top two wires to prevent deer from becoming tangled. In high deer traffic areas can be better than 47". And hold cattle just as well.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1778
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby farmerjan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:23 pm

I know you have done more fence in a year than I have in a lifetime, so I am not refuting your recommendations. However, here there is just about next to no one who will put up 2-3 strands of barbed wire above woven and no one uses the 39". I have seen more deer get themselves hung in high tensile that is 6-10 inches apart on the top wires, and I know that our cattle will put their heads between the 2 wires if they are that far apart on top. But again, that is just what we see around here. Many fence builders, will let the fence run straight across some swales rather than follow the ground closely and the deer will go under as often or more than go over; unless you are trying to make it multi-purpose for sheep/goats also. I want the taller fence with usually 1 strand barbed wire on top.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:50 pm

farmerjan wrote:I know you have done more fence in a year than I have in a lifetime, so I am not refuting your recommendations. However, here there is just about next to no one who will put up 2-3 strands of barbed wire above woven and no one uses the 39". I have seen more deer get themselves hung in high tensile that is 6-10 inches apart on the top wires, and I know that our cattle will put their heads between the 2 wires if they are that far apart on top. But again, that is just what we see around here. Many fence builders, will let the fence run straight across some swales rather than follow the ground closely and the deer will go under as often or more than go over; unless you are trying to make it multi-purpose for sheep/goats also. I want the taller fence with usually 1 strand barbed wire on top.


So they just keep doing it the way that doesn't work, instead of changing their methods? For reference, here's a few pictures of Fence's 39" net wire. I doubt a squirrel would get his head in there without drawing a little blood. :D

Image

Image

Image
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4489
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby callmefence » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 pm

farmerjan wrote:I know you have done more fence in a year than I have in a lifetime, so I am not refuting your recommendations. However, here there is just about next to no one who will put up 2-3 strands of barbed wire above woven and no one uses the 39". I have seen more deer get themselves hung in high tensile that is 6-10 inches apart on the top wires, and I know that our cattle will put their heads between the 2 wires if they are that far apart on top. But again, that is just what we see around here. Many fence builders, will let the fence run straight across some swales rather than follow the ground closely and the deer will go under as often or more than go over; unless you are trying to make it multi-purpose for sheep/goats also. I want the taller fence with usually 1 strand barbed wire on top.


With due respect.... who is no one?? I don't know em...93912 with 2 Barb's is the most requested fence we build.
I watch fawns shoot the gap between the top wires every morning and evening coming down my road to the house.
I deer will not share in a 10" top gap if the wire is tight and the post are close enough.. nothing wrong with taller net.
I'm putting up 47" right now. But nothing wrong with 39" either...and EVERYONE is using it.lol
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1039
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Granville County NC

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:23 pm

So farm and fence is a 39" with one barb run over the top a good route to go? Or if you only have 39" should you run two strands of barb? Thanks guys!

Tim
0 x


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests