RAU Animal Immobilizer

The place to start if you are new!
MrBilly
Rancher
Rancher

RAU Animal Immobilizer

Postby MrBilly » Mon May 02, 2005 1:20 pm

I recently purchased this electronic device on the recommendation of a friend who had also bought one and like it very much. He used it to immobilize his purebred Brangus cows to do some hoof trimming.

We used it for the first time today to castrate a number or rather large bull calves. It worked like a champ. There was little to no bellering, or movement, the calves stood still and we felt very safe even when the bulls were not in the head catch. They recommend not using the head catch since if the calf leans forward (which they do) and they were in the catch they could reduce the circulation to their brain and collapse - so we didn't use it and it worked fine

Basically you put this small probe in the rectum and turn on the current, adjust it gradually upwards and the animal just stands still. If you increase it further they will lift one or the other rear leg and just stand there for you. Amazing to say the least. Apparently the device fenerates some sort of rf signal because there is no shock if you hold the probe in your hand and turn it on. There was no evidence of any pain during the castration, when you turn it off they hot right out of the chute.

You also don't have to hold the tail up, which my wife is very happy about and now manages the controls.

For older folks like us, this simple ability to immobilze a critter for castration, hoof trimming, etc is a great safety feature we have not had available before.

We bought it at a beef expo so there was $100 off. I think to price was around $600 with two probes ( small and large ), a cigarett lighter charger, carrying case. The product looks substantial and well made. They also have an ejaculator probe for those into collecting semen.

For information go to their website http://www.igd-usa.com

Billy
0 x
Registered Angus and Angus based commercial cattle; direct Angus beef sales

cowspider
Rancher
Rancher

Postby cowspider » Mon May 02, 2005 2:03 pm

Looks amazing. I will have to look in to getting one.
0 x
"GET-ER DONE"

sidney411
GURU
GURU

Postby sidney411 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:35 pm

Word of caution - I got a virus waring when I went to the section where you can see the product in action on their website.
0 x

stocky
GURU
GURU

Postby stocky » Mon May 02, 2005 3:23 pm

i called the company and spoke with the representative as well as looked at the website videos. this sounds outstanding, but the price they quoted me is 795. i guess the question is whether it is outstanding enough for 795 dollars. i will check out the video they send me. i know there are times i could use it, just trying to figure out if there are enough times to justify the cost
0 x

CKC1586
GURU
GURU

Postby CKC1586 » Mon May 02, 2005 5:08 pm

This is truly amazing. I wonder what prompted the the idea of lets put an electrical probe in a cows anus to immobilize it????
0 x

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE
GURU
GURU

Postby SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Mon May 02, 2005 5:31 pm

Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:
0 x
Mike & LeeAnn Springer
Springer Farms Murray Grey's
http://springerfarms.com/

TheBullLady
GURU
GURU

Postby TheBullLady » Mon May 02, 2005 10:21 pm

We use a young man from East Texas to surgically dehorn the Brahmans, and he has one of these devices. Truly amazing stuff.. he can dehorn the Brahmans, unhook them from the machine, and they walk around like nothing had every happened. Don't hold a grudge at all.. which is REALLY unusual for a Brahman. :cboy:
0 x

Bama
GURU
GURU

Postby Bama » Mon May 02, 2005 10:42 pm

That thing looks like it would be worth it on a lagre operation. I bet the prices will come down as more competition starts making them. I can see it now Bubba's just gonna hafta try it with a cattle prod. Recken which one will be the most surprised.
0 x
Culling solves 75% of your problems.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue May 03, 2005 12:39 am

It's not all that new, the concept has been used for at least 20 years that I know of. This may be an improved version but it's still the same concpet. It didn;t catch on then and I doubt it will catch on now.

dun
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Tue May 03, 2005 3:59 am

A friend bought one a month ago and swears by it. He said that he branded 4-5 heifers in a trimming chute with the immobilizer. The price they were given waas 795 as well. I guess the question is is 795 worth it to have good brands and cattle that stay still in the chute while worked? Not sure if I will buy one or not...Have to see it in action before I do that.
0 x

MrBilly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MrBilly » Tue May 03, 2005 5:53 am

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE wrote:Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:

Very easy, lift the tail and stick it in and then turn it on and you are set and they are immobilized.
Billy
0 x
Registered Angus and Angus based commercial cattle; direct Angus beef sales

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Tue May 03, 2005 12:56 pm

CKC1586 wrote:This is truly amazing. I wonder what prompted the the idea of lets put an electrical probe in a cows anus to immobilize it????

=======
ckc,

Don't know it's exact genesis...but they have been using electrical stimulation for semen harvesting..for a long time.

They work great for castration, de-horning,etc. Much less stress on the animal..a n d....... I hasten to add .........me. :lol: I wouldn't be without one. 8)
0 x
G. Preston
"Without Christ you are alone....can you handle it?"
If you must doubt something...doubt your limits.

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Tue May 03, 2005 1:05 pm

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE wrote:Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:

=============

springer,

It is suggested that we put the animal in the head gate...insert the probe....turn it on ..low...and release the head gate...then turn it up to the recommended level...depending on the unit. We leave the head gate a portion closed just so the animal doesn't fall forward....completely.
0 x
G. Preston

CKC1586
GURU
GURU

Postby CKC1586 » Tue May 03, 2005 1:09 pm

preston39 wrote:
CKC1586 wrote:This is truly amazing. I wonder what prompted the the idea of lets put an electrical probe in a cows anus to immobilize it????

=======
ckc,

Don't know it's exact genesis...but they have been using electrical stimulation for semen harvesting..for a long time.

They work great for castration, de-horning,etc. Much less stress on the animal..a n d....... I hasten to add .........me. :lol: I wouldn't be without one. 8)

I guess what I was meaning was who woulda thunk it up??? I have great respect for inventors. I am in awe of them. What made someone think that an electrical current in a cows butt will do this or that? Amazing.
0 x

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Tue May 03, 2005 1:10 pm

dun wrote:It's not all that new, the concept has been used for at least 20 years that I know of. This may be an improved version but it's still the same concpet. It didn;t catch on then and I doubt it will catch on now.

dun

=============
dun

If you have a chance see one in use....it's amazing.

(Geesh...come to think of it I sound like some one else on this board..who sells the stuff!!...forbid...forbid!!!!)
0 x
G. Preston

Return to “Beginners Board”