RAU Animal Immobilizer

The place to start if you are new!
stocky
GURU
GURU

Postby stocky » Tue May 03, 2005 1:25 pm

i am convinced already that i need to buy one----just waiting on somebody to send me 50% off coupon---lol
0 x

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Tue May 03, 2005 1:37 pm

CKC1586 wrote:
preston39 wrote:
CKC1586 wrote:This is truly amazing. I wonder what prompted the the idea of lets put an electrical probe in a cows anus to immobilize it????

=======
ckc,

Don't know it's exact genesis...but they have been using electrical stimulation for semen harvesting..for a long time.

They work great for castration, de-horning,etc. Much less stress on the animal..a n d....... I hasten to add .........me. :lol: I wouldn't be without one. 8)

I guess what I was meaning was who woulda thunk it up??? I have great respect for inventors. I am in awe of them. What made someone think that an electrical current in a cows butt will do this or that? Amazing.

ckc,

:lol: ..good question and I would have no idea. If you find an answer...share it with us...probably would be interesting.
0 x
G. Preston
"Without Christ you are alone....can you handle it?"
If you must doubt something...doubt your limits.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE
GURU
GURU

Postby SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Tue May 03, 2005 6:19 pm

preston39 wrote:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE wrote:Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:

=============

springer,

It is suggested that we put the animal in the head gate...insert the probe....turn it on ..low...and release the head gate...then turn it up to the recommended level...depending on the unit. We leave the head gate a portion closed just so the animal doesn't fall forward....completely.

Not trying to be sarcastic, my bull is too big to fit in the headgate,he will barely squeeze through the squeeze chute with it adjusted all the way out.I have a devil of a time trying to work him (ear tags etc,)and usually have to put a rope around his neck,half-hitch it around his nose and tie it off to the side of the chute.It is a pain in the butt. :) ;-) :cboy:
0 x
Mike & LeeAnn Springer
Springer Farms Murray Grey's
http://springerfarms.com/

GURU
GURU

Postby SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Tue May 03, 2005 6:23 pm

MrBilly wrote:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE wrote:Thanks for the info. One question, how do you get the probe in the bulls a$$ without him being in the headgate??? ;-) :lol: :cboy:

Very easy, lift the tail and stick it in and then turn it on and you are set and they are immobilized.
Billy

MrBilly, So, it takes two people to use this? One to hold it in the bulls arse and the other to put in the ear tags,injections,etc? :cboy: :?:
0 x
Mike & LeeAnn Springer

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Tue May 03, 2005 8:21 pm

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE wrote:
preston39 wrote:

=============

springer,

It is suggested that we put the animal in the head gate...insert the probe....turn it on ..low...and release the head gate...then turn it up to the recommended level...depending on the unit. We leave the head gate a portion closed just so the animal doesn't fall forward....completely.

Not trying to be sarcastic, my bull is too big to fit in the headgate,he will barely squeeze through the squeeze chute with it adjusted all the way out.I have a devil of a time trying to work him (ear tags etc,)and usually have to put a rope around his neck,half-hitch it around his nose and tie it off to the side of the chute.It is a pain in the butt. :) ;-) :cboy:

===============
Springer,

I hear you ....sounds like a big fellow...Gotta do what ones gotta do. If you can tie him off and he will stand for the insertion...you will then have a cudly big puppy dog on your hands. Sounds like a..." biggie size"...just don't let him lean forward on anyone. :) many larger animals have to be backed out of the shute because the head gate opening will not fit.

It is amazing how they just walk off after the procedure very docile, as if nothing ever happened.
0 x
G. Preston

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Tue May 03, 2005 8:25 pm

stocky wrote:i am convinced already that i need to buy one----just waiting on somebody to send me 50% off coupon---lol

============
stocky,

Borrow/get one from your vet in the area. He will probably let you try it. I don't sell them but, I hear good comments about different brands.
0 x
G. Preston

MrBilly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MrBilly » Wed May 04, 2005 6:06 am

MrBilly wrote:

Very easy, lift the tail and stick it in and then turn it on and you are set and they are immobilized.
Billy

MrBilly, So, it takes two people to use this? One to hold it in the bulls arse and the other to put in the ear tags,injections,etc? :cboy: :?:

I don't think so, but I need to use my wife's free labor, no?

Stick it in, turn it on and go about your business. The tail holds the probe in the "arse," no need to hold it in. The control box hangs from the chute. I like having someone deal with the controls while I am attending to my business.

Billy
0 x
Registered Angus and Angus based commercial cattle; direct Angus beef sales

CKC1586
GURU
GURU

Postby CKC1586 » Wed May 04, 2005 6:31 am

MrBilly wrote:
MrBilly wrote:

Billy

Stick it in, turn it on and go about your business. The tail holds the probe in the "arse," no need to hold it in. The control box hangs from the chute. I like having someone deal with the controls while I am attending to my business.

Billy

Yes the video on that website shows one guy doing the branding all by himself. Seems like this would really be the cat's pajamas for vets to have, could save some wrestling of critters.
0 x

Rustler9
GURU
GURU

Postby Rustler9 » Wed May 04, 2005 9:43 am

I've seen these probes in use in Ft. Worth at the Texas Longhorn Showcase in November. They insert the probe and the animal stands still to have their horns measured. There was a dealer for them and I got some of the literature but I don't remember how much they cost. They do seem to work well from what I've seen.
0 x
Roger Townsend
BT Farms
Pulaski, TN

http://www.btfarms.net

GURU
GURU

Postby SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Wed May 04, 2005 5:18 pm

CKC1586 wrote:
MrBilly wrote:
MrBilly wrote:

Billy

Stick it in, turn it on and go about your business. The tail holds the probe

se," no need to hold it in. The control box hangs from the chute. I like having someone deal with the controls while I am attending to my business.

Billy

Yes the video on that website shows one guy doing the branding all by himself. Seems like this would really be the cat's pajamas for vets to have, could save some wrestling of critters.

That's it....I've gotta have me one of those...! :cboy: ;-)
0 x
Mike & LeeAnn Springer

stocky
GURU
GURU

Postby stocky » Thu May 05, 2005 9:33 pm

i was wondering if anyone could tell me how you would use this in dehorning cows. if the cows are not caught in the headgate, how do you get to the horns in the middle of the chute? i have been trying to picture this and i havent figured out how you would have room to work.
i dehorn alot of full grown cows that are crossbred or longhorn crosses and to keep the dehorning from knocking them too badly, i wrap a string around the base of the horns several times with some figure 8's in it to cut off the blood supply and then cut the horns off about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the base and fill the holes with cotton. 3 days later, i take the string off so there is virtually no blood and the animal doesnt go off feed.
i am just having trouble imagining how i will get the hacksaw in at the right angle to do this without the cow in the chute.
the main reason i would be buying this is for dehorning and hoof trimming
0 x

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Thu May 05, 2005 10:37 pm

stocky wrote:i was wondering if anyone could tell me how you would use this in dehorning cows. if the cows are not caught in the headgate, how do you get to the horns in the middle of the chute? i have been trying to picture this and i havent figured out how you would have room to work.
i dehorn alot of full grown cows that are crossbred or longhorn crosses and to keep the dehorning from knocking them too badly, i wrap a string around the base of the horns several times with some figure 8's in it to cut off the blood supply and then cut the horns off about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the base and fill the holes with cotton. 3 days later, i take the string off so there is virtually no blood and the animal doesnt go off feed.
i am just having trouble imagining how i will get the hacksaw in at the right angle to do this without the cow in the chute.
the main reason i would be buying this is for dehorning and hoof trimming

================
stocky,

Only seen dehorning done with one... with the cow's head thru the gate...at the sale barn.

If the cows head won't go thru the gate...can you get up on the side of the shute and reach down to dehorn 'em? Dosen't sound very comfortable..I guess.

I'm posting a web site..see if a search there will help or email them and ask how to apply it. Good question.

http://www.igd-usa.com/
0 x
G. Preston

tapeworm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tapeworm » Fri May 06, 2005 1:28 am

Nose tongs and lead rope and lariat rope are lots cheaper....do the same job...some hobby farmers just cant wait for new ways to blow money
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri May 06, 2005 1:36 am

The whole concept makes my puckerstring tight and my eyes water. Guess I'm too old for modern scientific ways of doing things

dun
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Fri May 06, 2005 1:43 am

careful now dun, wouldnt want you to get branded with the scarlet "SF" too.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

Return to “Beginners Board”