RAU Animal Immobilizer

The place to start if you are new!
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 06, 2005 7:08 am

tapeworm wrote:Nose tongs and lead rope and lariat rope are lots cheaper....do the same job...some hobby farmers just cant wait for new ways to blow money

Now thats funny very true but funny. I can just picture some of these hobby guys trying on themselves to see how it works.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

stocky
GURU
GURU

Postby stocky » Fri May 06, 2005 9:56 am

thanks, guys. the way i normally do it is to just put them into the headchute and use the nose lead to pull the head to the side and give them a shot of painkiller and tie off the circulation and then dehorn that side and then pull the head to the other side and do that side. my question came from where i kept seeing that you shouldnt put the cow's head in the headchute, which is hard for me to picture how to dehorn. once again, i can definitely see how this tool could be great, but you still have to have the animal in the chute already, so that is where i am trying to see where it is 795 dollars great. i keep thinking that a thin, second period cow would be better for 800 dollars than the immobilizer. thanks for your thoughts
0 x

stocky
GURU
GURU

Postby stocky » Fri May 06, 2005 1:00 pm

i just received my tape and brochures in the mail from the rau immobilizer company. in the brochure, it shows an animal being dehorned and she is caught in the headgate. i guess this answers my question about dehorning and i will watch the tape later this evening.
0 x

jt
GURU
GURU

Postby jt » Fri May 06, 2005 1:04 pm

immobilized or not, i would want em in the headgate.... seems like better safe than sorry should something go wrong...

jmo

jt
0 x

stocky
GURU
GURU

Postby stocky » Fri May 06, 2005 1:11 pm

i agree with you 100% jt. the thing that made me wonder was that everything i was reading was saying do not put them in the headgate because of their tendency to lean forward and the pressure of the headgate on their neck would reduce flow of oxygen to the brain. i have plenty of instances where i am accused of not getting enough oxygen to the brain, so i would hate to have my cattle accused of having the same problem---lol
0 x

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE
GURU
GURU

Postby SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Fri May 06, 2005 7:11 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
tapeworm wrote:Nose tongs and lead rope and lariat rope are lots cheaper....do the same job...some hobby farmers just cant wait for new ways to blow money

Now thats funny very true but funny. I can just picture some of these hobby guys trying on themselves to see how it works.

Listen you two, just because someone wants to use a better,safer way of doing things does not mean they are "hobby farmers"! Some of us are not as young and strong as we used to be, and do not have all the time in the world to get things done. I am no cattle baron by any means,but I have 31 head and counting and have to do every single thing by myself,and do not have the benefit of my sons,son in law's,cousin's, or "bubba's" help to get things done. I am appreciative of anybodys knowledge, or "technology" to do what needs to be done in a safer manner,with less stress on my animals, in as little time as possible! You two are more likely the ones to feel the need to try it out on yourselves or each other...... :x
0 x
Mike & LeeAnn Springer
Springer Farms Murray Grey's
http://springerfarms.com/

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

probe

Postby bigbull338 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:08 pm

once a few of you get kicked accross the corral a few times working cows and calves youll decide to do things safer when you have a 1500lb holstein cow throw you into a brickwall breaking out of the barn then stomping your foot then youll think of safter ways to work cattle scott
0 x

Medic24
GURU
GURU

Postby Medic24 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:27 pm

Aaahhhh maybe me thinks i need to get one of those things....... maybe I can get No. 1 to stand still long enuff and quit fighting me when i want to breed a little bit. ;-) :cboy:
0 x
I am poor, but yet I am rich, fore I till the soil......naw....... who am I fooling? I am just plain dirt poor!

Oldtimer
GURU
GURU

Postby Oldtimer » Fri May 06, 2005 9:26 pm

Before you buy one do a little searching--About a month ago I saw another model unit demonstrated that used two clamps ( like the clamps on a battery charger- in fact thats what the whole unit looked like)...One clamped on the lip- the second on the tail at the tailhead....Did the same thing...And it was priced at $99.....I think it was a fellow from South Dakota selling them- put on a demonstration at the sale barn......
0 x
Lazy Bar B Angus on Facebook

MrBilly
Rancher
Rancher

Followup on immobilizer

Postby MrBilly » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:25 am

I started this discussion so I thought a bit of followup is in order. I have used the device on two herds with great success.

First, I castrated a bunch of young bulls and it worked very well. Little jumping around, and no apparent pain. I do not think this device is providing any anesthesia, just immobilization, so I think the critters have feeling, which brings me to the question of whether we should be holding up the tail as in the "old way" of castrating and "applying anesthesia?"

This past weekend we worked 90 critters; two large cows needed some hind leg hoof trimming which I have never been able to do before. With the immobilizer in place and on, I simply trimmed the hooves and there was no movement at all. Another cow needed her ear tag changed and a bit of a haircut in the ear. Everytime I tried to touch her head, she would shake it to the point I could do nothing. I put the probe in her butt, turned it on, and she stood still didn't move her head and I was able to cut the hair and put the new tag in without any fuss. This latter example is just a frustration, and not something the probe was designed for, but it did allow us to finish with her in no time flat and move on the the rest of the herd .

None of the critters, except the ear tag gal were in the head gate, just in the chute.

We are very happy with this little gem.

Billy :lol:
0 x
Registered Angus and Angus based commercial cattle; direct Angus beef sales

Medic24
GURU
GURU

Postby Medic24 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:05 am

The story I heard about the manner in which it was invented kinda centered around this ol perverted farmer that was trying to think of new ways to get happy.................... ;-) and so the story goes.......lol ;-)
0 x
I am poor, but yet I am rich, fore I till the soil......naw....... who am I fooling? I am just plain dirt poor!

Mquigly
Beginner
Beginner

Re: RAU Animal Immobilizer

Postby Mquigly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 am

Will this work on my wife?
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”