Cut or keep?

The place to start if you are new!
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Cut or keep?

Postby boondocks » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:32 am

testicles, that is! Bull calf born late March, great AI sire and grandsire, good mama. Been only on grass. Haven't registered him yet; need to decide this week if he gets cut next Sat.
See anything that would lead to a strong recommendation to cut him?

0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Cut or keep?

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:55 am

Nice calf. He seems deep in the chest and carries it through aft giving him plenty of volume which I like.

Ken
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 am

I like him
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:53 pm

I wrote a response but it didn't go through. Thanks for the feedback!
Any other commenters wanna weigh in?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:29 am

with his pose it's a little hard for me to see his length, but he has good depth
How old is he? He doesn't look bullish yet.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:44 am

Why do you wonder about him? Do you see faults?
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:06 am

Might just be the pic but it looks like he has noassatall disease to me
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:51 am

Can't tell much by picture. What I see looks OK. But, if you are in doubt, he is a steer prospect. It takes a heck of a good male to be left a bull, IMO.
The biggest question is "what will you do with him if you keep him a bull"?
Are you looking for a bull for yourself? If not, selling a bull in NY is no picnic. Keeping a bull around to breeding age is a PIA. I only sell bull calves. If they are not sold by the time I'm ready to ship my steers to the feedlot, they get cut & feedlot gets them at a discounted price. So, can be costly to to do that. Selling bull calves is not easy. People have to WANT your breeding stock.
Everyone thinks since he's registered, he should be a bull - NO. Most times steering a calf is the most profitable thing to do. You have to develop a reputation in order to sell a quality bull.
3 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:19 am

The picture is not good. But if the picture is doing him justice, he does not appear to be heavily muscled.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Franke » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 pm

From the pictures I would say steer.
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:25 pm

If he is structurally correct and gaining minimum of 2.5 but to be really good 3.0 pounds for ADG since birth he might make a bull.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:48 pm

boondocks wrote:testicles, that is! Bull calf born late March, great AI sire and grandsire, good mama. Been only on grass. Haven't registered him yet; need to decide this week if he gets cut next Sat.
See anything that would lead to a strong recommendation to cut him?

Sounds like he has the backing, just doesn't look like he has it...go get the knife ready...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Maybe the pic but he looks weak in the back end. To much money riding on the butt to let a flat butt breed.
Cut
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks all for the honest feedback. Nesi, he's just turning 5mos. Jeanne, we do not usually sell bulls. We acknowledge that it is not a particular expertise of ours, at this point. (We did sell one last year to someone who saw him and wanted him). We also don't keep one; we are strictly AI. Although our herd is registered, for us, registration is primarily a way to track pedigree and work on genetics. We like to raise cows that are fertile; moderate; have decent manners (although not coddled or pets); hardy (well-suited to our brutal winters and grassfed eats), and calve with zero (and I do mean zero) assistance.
I would never keep a hatchetazzed calf (heifer or bull). He does have some backside, although he's not a monster for sure...Lil feller will probably get steered, I guess!
0 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Can't tell much by picture. What I see looks OK. But, if you are in doubt, he is a steer prospect. It takes a heck of a good male to be left a bull, IMO.
The biggest question is "what will you do with him if you keep him a bull"?
Are you looking for a bull for yourself? If not, selling a bull in NY is no picnic. Keeping a bull around to breeding age is a PIA. I only sell bull calves. If they are not sold by the time I'm ready to ship my steers to the feedlot, they get cut & feedlot gets them at a discounted price. So, can be costly to to do that. Selling bull calves is not easy. People have to WANT your breeding stock.
Everyone thinks since he's registered, he should be a bull - NO. Most times steering a calf is the most profitable thing to do. You have to develop a reputation in order to sell a quality bull.

I have seen a lot of people selling bulls lately that really should read this. Your absolutely right, just because it is registered does not mean it should be kept a bull. I actually saw someone go as far as to say that you are failing as a registered program if you have to castrate any of your male calves, as because they are registered then they should be good enough to be a bull. (Hard to believe that any true cattleman would actually think that.) But I believe that poor bull selection is a huge issue in the cattle industry today. Sub par bulls produce sub par offspring, which often will produce sub par price at sale.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”