Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Bull advice

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 pm

1982vett wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Is there a reason your saying angus brute

For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.

Going to agree for the most part. I believe if you find a good Brangus it’s going to run $1000 over a good Angus so economics would say Angus. Wouldn’t rule out an AngusPlus if you run across one.
Just to throw this out, Best I gather your not running a uniform breed of cows. Maybe your headed that way but for now your not. I bought a Charolais a few years ago when I got in a bind needing a bull. He’s been making some dandy fast growing calves. Can put a little white down the backs of the Baldie cows calves but that hasn’t been s problem where I sell calves. Like I said, it depends on what your market wants. I’ve been dabbling in some sale barn cows for a couple years now so true make of cow isn’t known. Looks like the white bull works well on all of them for making pounds of beef. With a mixed batch of cows I don’t see trying to raise replacements. :2cents:

Where did you get you Char bull if you don't mind me asking?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Bull advice

Postby 1982vett » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Got him at a Spring Replacement Sale. Conway Waak of Carmine was the breeder. Carmine is between Brenham and Giddings.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Beginners Board”