Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Bull advice

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:54 pm

1982vett wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Is there a reason your saying angus brute

For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.

Going to agree for the most part. I believe if you find a good Brangus it’s going to run $1000 over a good Angus so economics would say Angus. Wouldn’t rule out an AngusPlus if you run across one.
Just to throw this out, Best I gather your not running a uniform breed of cows. Maybe your headed that way but for now your not. I bought a Charolais a few years ago when I got in a bind needing a bull. He’s been making some dandy fast growing calves. Can put a little white down the backs of the Baldie cows calves but that hasn’t been s problem where I sell calves. Like I said, it depends on what your market wants. I’ve been dabbling in some sale barn cows for a couple years now so true make of cow isn’t known. Looks like the white bull works well on all of them for making pounds of beef. With a mixed batch of cows I don’t see trying to raise replacements. :2cents:

Where did you get you Char bull if you don't mind me asking?
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Got him at a Spring Replacement Sale. Conway Waak of Carmine was the breeder. Carmine is between Brenham and Giddings.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 pm

What age Bulls is good age to start with? I’m leaning towards Brahman or Brangus

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 pm

As well as a good price range and does it have to be registered to be a good bull

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:59 pm

15 months old up.. Don't have to be registered to be good, but unless you got a pedigree/ or some background on them ? Its buying a pig in a poke..there's plenty of deals to be had on registered....a bull can look great....but if he ain't got the backing, he may not reproduce something as good,or hopefully better than himself...
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:01 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:15 months old up.. Don't have to be registered to be good, but unless you got a pedigree/ or some background on them ? Its buying a pig in a poke..there's plenty of deals to be had on registered....a bull can look great....but if he ain't got the backing, he may not reproduce something as good,or hopefully better than himself...
I want young as well as lbw im waiting till the spring since all my heifers won’t be 15 months until feb March

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Keep in mind if your growing a herd,and not just wanting something to put a calf on the ground...""your cows are where your at. the bull is where your going"""
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:25 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Keep in mind if your growing a herd,and not just wanting something to put a calf on the ground...""your cows are where your at. the bull is where your going"""

Yeah I’m growing a herd but i know the bull is what going to make the herd better