Get insurance up to date.

The place to start if you are new!
sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Get insurance up to date.

Postby sstterry » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:58 pm

greybeard wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Sort of on the subject and very sorry for your loss. Insurance: if you sell meat from the farm or as cuts, be sure that your insurance covers that type of activity.

I'm curious..What kind of liability ins would one get for that kind of thing?
If one were selling "Farm Fresh Eggs" for instance, and someone claimed they got salmonella from them, would they need that kind of liability insurance?

"Local Honey"?

I would talk to your local agent and don't just take his word for it. Have your lawyer look at the policy also. It happened just a few weeks ago in Knoxville Tn. Ten kids got E. coli poisoning and developed kidney failure from locally grown fresh "raw" (unpasteurized) milk. Our local Farmer's can no longer sell green beans that have already been broken at the local Farmer's Mkt. That is considered a form of processing and the local city has outlawed it at the City Farmer's Market
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:59 pm

greybeard wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Sort of on the subject and very sorry for your loss. Insurance: if you sell meat from the farm or as cuts, be sure that your insurance covers that type of activity.

If one were selling "Farm Fresh Eggs" for instance, and someone claimed they got salmonella from them, would they need that kind of liability insurance?

"Local Honey"?

Yes. Yes. If your policy is a straight beef cattle policy it does not cover selling cuts. If chickens are a backyard venture and policy says beef then you are skating on thin ice to begin. It is a cruel world on a lot of this stuff.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:18 pm

angus9259 wrote:Meth head light two of our barns on fire last week. Lost two 30x40 barns, 60 tons of hay, my shop, all my tools. Vet supplies, livestock scales, fence parts, nuts and bolts, backhoe - everything.

They caught the guy - but he has nothing - except a long criminal record.

Ohhhhh!!!! :mad: :mad: I'm so sorry that happened to you. :( Ugghhh.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:28 pm

So sorry to see that devastation. There are no words to make it better and it will take years to get back to some sense of normal.

There are all kinds of rules now for things like local eggs and raw milk and raw honey. One place you might want to consider is "Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund" as far as getting advise for things like direct sales etc for food products. FTCLDF can help with advise and only costs about 150. a year. They would probably answer a few questions and could probably steer you to lawyers in your state that would be knowledgeable of direct sales of farm products. Most farmers markets here now require proof of 1 mil liability ins. In this sue crazy world, sometimes I wonder if it is worth the direct sales route anymore.
2 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 pm

snoopdog wrote:That is so sad . And what makes it worse are the small items , that can't really be accounted for but will take years to replace .

Very true. When I meet with a client on property insurance, I recommend they take videos of all open drawers, inside every box, and all open closets. Don’t store the video at your home though. When insuring a home, I would estimate that you’ll have more money tied up in items under $50 than you’ll total in items over $50. It’s fairly easy to list when you watch your videos.
2 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:13 am

wow.. that sucks!.. hope you get a fair shake from insurance but I know that's being pretty darned optimistic.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:50 am

Ebenezer wrote:
greybeard wrote:

"Local Honey"?

Yes. Yes. If your policy is a straight beef cattle policy it does not cover selling cuts. If chickens are a backyard venture and policy says beef then you are skating on thin ice to begin. It is a cruel world on a lot of this stuff.

As I said, was just curious. I don't sell either to the public but your answer is about what I presumed it would be. I know several people who do sell veggies, eggs, and honey etc direct to public (flea markets and farmer markets) and I'm pretty sure none of them have a bit of insurance specifically for this.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 am

My son got a concussion in school. A student had tipped him back in his chair and he hit radiator first (from a highback chair) and then the floor. He was taken to the ER and has had two follow up visits. He has one more this week but will continue to have them until he is released from injury. My ex-FIL who has been an agent for 20+ years said that re-cooping the bills from the students parents would be difficult unless they have renters (I know they don't own) insurance because that actually carries over into liability since he's young. I am doubtful they have renters insurance either. Regardless, bills are high and he's maxed out our deductible.

But according to my ex FIL, our policy would cover my husband hitting a guy on the golf course with a ball, if that person was injured. That our policy follows us everywhere. I would ASSUME that all these questions regarding someone getting sick from your farm to table food would also be the same?
0 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:21 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:My son got a concussion in school. A student had tipped him back in his chair and he hit radiator first (from a highback chair) and then the floor. He was taken to the ER and has had two follow up visits. He has one more this week but will continue to have them until he is released from injury. My ex-FIL who has been an agent for 20+ years said that re-cooping the bills from the students parents would be difficult unless they have renters (I know they don't own) insurance because that actually carries over into liability since he's young. I am doubtful they have renters insurance either. Regardless, bills are high and he's maxed out our deductible.

But according to my ex FIL, our policy would cover my husband hitting a guy on the golf course with a ball, if that person was injured. That our policy follows us everywhere. I would ASSUME that all these questions regarding someone getting sick from your farm to table food would also be the same?

If you invited them to eat your food you would be covered. If you sold it to them, then it is considered a business endeavor and would most likely be excluded.
1 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:35 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:My son got a concussion in school. A student had tipped him back in his chair and he hit radiator first (from a highback chair) and then the floor. He was taken to the ER and has had two follow up visits. He has one more this week but will continue to have them until he is released from injury. My ex-FIL who has been an agent for 20+ years said that re-cooping the bills from the students parents would be difficult unless they have renters (I know they don't own) insurance because that actually carries over into liability since he's young. I am doubtful they have renters insurance either. Regardless, bills are high and he's maxed out our deductible.

The difference is the golf ball incident is considered Personal Liability. Selling meat to someone would under a business type of liability insurance. Incidentally, the type of liability insurance on a Renters policy is "personal liability"....the same as under a homeowners policy. Not a lot of difference.
2 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Gators Rule wrote:
snoopdog wrote:That is so sad . And what makes it worse are the small items , that can't really be accounted for but will take years to replace .

Very true. When I meet with a client on property insurance, I recommend they take videos of all open drawers, inside every box, and all open closets. Don’t store the video at your home though. When insuring a home, I would estimate that you’ll have more money tied up in items under $50 than you’ll total in items over $50. It’s fairly easy to list when you watch your videos.

Very good advice! Years ago, when I was a renter, my insurance agent gave me similar advice. So I photographed my apartment, all the walls in each room, drawers etc. I kept the photos in a safe deposit box.
2 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

LDEnterprises
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LDEnterprises » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:32 am

Sorry for your misfortunes. That is BS that a human being would be that heartless of someone else's property. I had to use my farm policy recently when my Polaris caught fire while checking cows with my son. Like stated above review your policy once a year and update it as needed.

0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:27 am

Bet that was exciting.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:51 am

LDEnterprises wrote:Sorry for your misfortunes. That is BS that a human being would be that heartless of someone else's property. I had to use my farm policy recently when my Polaris caught fire while checking cows with my son. Like stated above review your policy once a year and update it as needed.

Neighbor had one do the exact same thing back in May. Checking cows. Middle of the pasture. Said he smelled smoke and by the time it stopped it was fully engulfed. FWIW, his was a diesel Ranger. Wonder if this is common with them or just coincidental due to the sheer numbers of UTVs that are out there?
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:12 am

Was yours also a diesel Ranger? Bet that was exciting for your son!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Beginners Board”